RELIABLE Semi auto in 308 - suppressed... please report

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pangris1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 13, 2010
    BR metro area
    I've been struggling to find a semi auto 308 that is reliable and accurate when suppressed.

If you have one - which rifle, which can, what ammo?

My sons are currently fighting a couple AR-10's and have been over the river and through the woods with adjustable and fixed blocks, bolts, springs, extractors, et al. For better or worse those are custom builds so I can't blame anyone but myself. They're currently at a gunsmith I believe has a solid understanding of them, but I've read a disturbing number of people that shoot real volume that had said the only 10's they've had run both ways are the Noveske N6's, LWRC, Knights etc i.e. $4000+ rifles.

While I love my sons, I'm going to tap out if that what it takes and tell them they're stuck with bolt guns.

SO, with that said - if you're shooting a semi 308 with a can, tell me about how its going. We've got pigs to kill and I find that when the bullet meets the pig the 308 is the best option.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    This doesn't directly answer your question but what range are you looking at? If it's not over 250 yards, have you considered a 300 blk rifle? Given your needs, the 300 may be ideal. It's got the same bullet as the 308 but is designed to be shot suppressed out of a shorter barrel.

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I’ve got a (15-20 yrs) old Armalite AR 10 that works, can is Omega, the gas block is simple with a plate that has 3 holes you tune then just push left or right, the name has slipped my mind tho

2tix2gunshow

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 15, 2020
    Baton Rouge
    I shot FN Scar-17 with a can, no issues. It has an adjustable gas block. I sold it because I am not special forces. MSRP is high, but it is probably cheaper than the adventure you guys have been on. “Buy once cry once.”

I agree that tapping out for a cheaper option is tempting, I am looking at the new Bergara scout rifle in 308 or 350 legend.

Good luck!

Aurellevi

Intermediate
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Oct 1, 2013
    Denham Springs
    The Armalite AR-10T sass/super sass was made for that. Factory produced with adjustable gas system, gas buster charging handle, maybe something else I'm forgetting. Bit heavy but very accurate with or without can. Trading it off is one of few regrets.

Last edited:

mikelee

Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2024
    Denham springs
    I've been struggling to find a semi auto 308 that is reliable and accurate when suppressed.

If you have one - which rifle, which can, what ammo?

My sons are currently fighting a couple AR-10's and have been over the river and through the woods with adjustable and fixed blocks, bolts, springs, extractors, et al. For better or worse those are custom builds so I can't blame anyone but myself. They're currently at a gunsmith I believe has a solid understanding of them, but I've read a disturbing number of people that shoot real volume that had said the only 10's they've had run both ways are the Noveske N6's, LWRC, Knights etc i.e. $4000+ rifles.

While I love my sons, I'm going to tap out if that what it takes and tell them they're stuck with bolt guns.

SO, with that said - if you're shooting a semi 308 with a can, tell me about how its going. We've got pigs to kill and I find that when the bullet meets the pig the 308 is the best option.
    Scar 17s shoot amazing suppressed are not suppressed

pangris1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 13, 2010
    BR metro area
    300 Blk is anemic. I have them in semi and bolt. Does not lay out pigs as DRT to my liking. I wanted the Blackout to be "the one" and have gone though all the variations of ammo and optics and at the end of the day it is a fantastic anti-bipedal urban solution, a decent white tail round within 100-150, and barely better than 556 against pigs which is 95% my application.

300BO<Grendel
    Grendel<308

I've considered the SCAR but they won't warranty it if you suppress it.

Edited because at first I was like ah I hadn't really thought of Armalite because I have DPMS/SR25 pattern mags but LOL at the SASS prices I'd go Noveske or LWRC.

Maybe a better specification would have been - is there a NIB 308 in the $2000 - 2500 range that works reliably suppressed - it appears the cost of admission is ~ $4000.

Last edited:

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    300 Blk is anemic. I have them in semi and bolt. Does not lay out pigs as DRT to my liking. I wanted the Blackout to be "the one" and have gone though all the variations of ammo and optics and at the end of the day it is a fantastic anti-bipedal urban solution, a decent white tail round within 100-150, and barely better than 556 against pigs which is 95% my application.

300BO<Grendel
    Grendel<308

I've considered the SCAR but they won't warranty it if you suppress it.

Edited because at first I was like ah I hadn't really thought of Armalite because I have DPMS/SR25 pattern mags but LOL at the SASS prices I'd go Noveske or LWRC.

Maybe a better specification would have been - is there a NIB 308 in the $2000 - 2500 range that works reliably suppressed - it appears the cost of admission is ~ $4000.
    The 300 is indeed lacking, Might be okay for armadillo's or poodles sucks on larger game. Grendal might be okay on pigs?

pangris1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 13, 2010
    BR metro area
    Grendel is better than 300 but at the end of the rainbow we've killed a lot of pigs and if you want to recover them when they are near heavy brush, i.e. need to drop it within 10-100 feet of where you hit them - 308 and 458 SOCOM seem to work best, and I'm not investing in the SOCOM as a platform. Grendel is effective for culling and if you can make headshots they all work but pigs are tough and headshots aren't always possible based on distance and where you find yourself when opportunity presents. We're trying to recover backstraps at a minimum as much as possible and I've kinda settled on 308 as tried and true. I'm personally splitting my tie between the Grendel and 308 as I haven't exhausted bullet selection etc on the Grendel yet. It is, IMO, the best ar-15 option however.

Credit those that warned me about the lack of punch before I went down the Blackout rabbit hole - its a neat cartridge, with real limitations. I will say it does tend toward reliable in my rigs, which is worth something.

geeck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    SE Louisiana
    The M14/M1A, a grooved gas piston helps but not necessarily needed. There are numerous adapters for the muzzle end. I would not use any of the adapters that are held on with the castle nut. Even with a Titanium silencer that's a lot of hanging weight on the end.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Grendel is better than 300 but at the end of the rainbow we've killed a lot of pigs and if you want to recover them when they are near heavy brush, i.e. need to drop it within 10-100 feet of where you hit them - 308 and 458 SOCOM seem to work best, and I'm not investing in the SOCOM as a platform. Grendel is effective for culling and if you can make headshots they all work but pigs are tough and headshots aren't always possible based on distance and where you find yourself when opportunity presents. We're trying to recover backstraps at a minimum as much as possible and I've kinda settled on 308 as tried and true. I'm personally splitting my tie between the Grendel and 308 as I haven't exhausted bullet selection etc on the Grendel yet. It is, IMO, the best ar-15 option however.

Credit those that warned me about the lack of punch before I went down the Blackout rabbit hole - its a neat cartridge, with real limitations. I will say it does tend toward reliable in my rigs, which is worth something.
    Yeah 308 in a PSA adjustable gas block (Oden works) and you should be golden, Gud luck

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    I have a PWS mk2 216 in 308. it ran great without a can, when I added a Dead air nomad , it still ran fine without any changes.
    they do have adjustable gas blocks, but I didnt change it..
    I have used federal 308 175 smk and beck ammo in 175 tmk as well as the 147 or 149 ball ammo from the bulk surplus piles..

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan

I found my 300 blackout limits 2 years ago.. I had an sbr with like a 4 inch barrel and a can on it.. it was handy as hell and light.
    I was shooting the factory barnes tac tx or tac x. black and gold box.. 110 grain.. it was consistent and accurate , but after about 140 yards or so, it lost so much speed the bullet stopped doing any expanding or much of anything. Had I not made great shots on the heart, the deer would have likely never been recovered.. I stopped shooting it on deer and have not used it again..
    I really like it for sub 100 yard shots though..

pangris1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 13, 2010
    BR metro area
    I have a buddy who carrys around a 6.5" 300BO and black tips. While it expands in theory out to 130ish yards, its essentially a 357 magnum when you get that short. Kills things for sure but recovery rate is yawn + meh.

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    I have an Aero Precision M5 308 that I've gotten to run reliable and suppressed all the time. I use old Yankee hill suppressors on it that are not flow through. Cycles and shoots soft with good ejection with all types of ammo. I went through many configurations and modifications like you. Things I've done and recommend through learning.

1) Rifle Length gas system. Go with 18" or 20" barrel with rifle length gas. 16" or 18" Mid length was always too hard
    2) Lower with a Rifle Receiver Extension. I don't mind it over the carbine extension, but I know it bothers people who like adjustable butt stocks. Sucks that it adds weight though. This really made more of a difference than I thought it would.
    3) XH Heavy Rifle Buffer 10 oz and Spring. $125 for both and adds weight but works. If you email them with your setup, they will make a suggestion for you. This was their recommendation for me.
    4) Lastly, Adjustable Gas Block. I use a JP with the detent settings. Close it and then shoot and keep opening it up until it locks the bolt back and runs reliably

I had a much more expensive factory POF 308 Rifle that I could not get to run suppressed. Didn't modify it to keep warranty. Sent it back 2 times and could never get it to run suppressed. Sold it for a loss.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    kjstang02
    Top Bottom