Reload newbie

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Red Leader

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 5, 2014
    Hahnville, La
    Looking at starting reloading 308, 223, and 45. I know nothing about it. I want to buy equipment once, not have to upgrade in the future, and not have to hand measure powder. What do I need?

mineralman55

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Northshore
    Get at least two reloading manuals/books (Lyman Pistol should be one). Read them cover to cover. And get a set of Wilson case gauges for each caliber. It will save you a lot of headaches in the long run.

mnop308

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    bossier
    if you don't want to hand measure powder for each case, then use ball powder. Good luck finding it right now. Powder measure throwing stick powder for plinking loads is o.k. unless you want something to group tight. Remember===== You are quality control for each round produced.

capsix

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    Lots and lots of information is out there. Do your due diligence and read up on everything. Talking to and seeing someone go through the process would be great as would taking a class. Loading rifle rounds is a bit more involved than pistol. I would strongly advise buy once, cry once....get the best you can afford. Call the people at Dillon Precision, they will walk you through everything you need and could possibly want.

mnop308

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    bossier
    +1 for Dillon for pistol and other tools . They take up most of my bench. The rest is taken up by RCBS for rifle and for pistol that don't see much use. I agree with capsix in that you should take a class if they are available or find an old time reloader. There are a lot of little tricks you learn over the years.

davidd

Expert in the field of wife avoidance
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I talked my parents into buying me a Dillon SD press for my 20th birthday. I read two reloading manuals (Lyman and Lee), and then read them again. I bought some reloading components and started with light loads in 45ACP. This was before the Internet existed (at least on a commercial basis), and I did not know anyone who reloaded. I still have all of my fingers and both eyes. Did not blow up any guns either.

It's not rocket science. HOWEVER, I would urge you, if possible, to find someone who has reloaded for a while and see if you can watch their routine. Get them to explain to you what they are doing, why they do it, and the order they do it in. We all have one, and that "routine" is what keeps our ammo consistent and ourselves in one piece.

Take the class at LA Gun and Reloading, but if you can, watch someone reload a couple of times. If you can, watch a couple of people. And as someone stated earlier, start with pistol first. Rifle rounds take much more care and attention. I definitely recommend getting comfortable with the process for your 45 first.

Barney

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2014
    Hineston, Louisiana
    I have a complete setup for sale and will show you how to use it. Dillion 650 Press, with case feeder, strong mount, aluminum roller handle, powder check, low primer warning and extras. It is the best. A large capacity brass polisher. Currently set up for .357, spare head with dies for 45 colt, everything need to set up for 45 acp. will have digital powder scale and micrometer with it. Several other sets of dies, 308, 7.62X54, 30-30. A Lee load manual, manuals for press and case feeder. I used to do cowboy action shooting and got away from it and don't use it any more. Dillon has forever warrantee on the press. It has only loaded a few thousand rounds and all looks almost new.

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    +1 on Dillon products. I'd recommend you go with the 550. Will work great for .223, .308, and .45. .308 uses the same plate and locator pins as the .45 so all you need is dies, to do both. I have extensive reloading data here and on Brian Enos forum, mostly pistol calibers, but nothing on .223 and .308. There are several things that can happen while reloading and you have to develop a feel for them, like crushing a case that caught the edge of the die, primer that goes in sideways, 9mm or .22 case inside a .45 case that will jam you up, etc. You just have to go slow have you a system to follow so you do the same thing every-time. BTW where are you located? I'm in the La Place area and you can see my setup if you need to. I have a 550, 650, and a Lyman Tmag setup on my bench. Also a big +1 on La Reloading on Jefferson in Baton Rouge.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Get at least two reloading manuals/books (Lyman Pistol should be one). Read them cover to cover. And get a set of Wilson case gauges for each caliber. It will save you a lot of headaches in the long run.

I agree the Lyman book is good and i get lots of use from it. I have the Lyman 48th {they might have a 49th now}
    It has a tons of jacketed and cast loads for pistol and rifle
    Also have the Lyman Cast book that is just cast loads.

4thMiss

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2014
    Port Allen, La.
    Free for the asking just received via mail Alliant Powder 2014 loading guide. Only loads for their powders but a bunch of good info especially for the novice. Just go to their website and click on the link to their guide and sent to you free.

providince

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA
    If you are just getting in, pay the $20 and take the reloading class at LA Gun and reloading. Great class for beginners and experience alike. You will get to actually use various types of reloading machines and see what you may like and not like. Best $20 you can spend.

Top Bottom