Reloading data help!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joe

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 1, 2009
    Thibodaux
    So I want to get into reloading and shooting the 600m matches at Palo Alto. I've got a Remmington 700 LTR, its a .308 with a 20" 1 in 12" twist.

I'm looking up data to work up a load with the 175gr Sierra MatchKing on top of Varget powder.

The problem I'm running into is in the min/max powder charge info.

My Sierra 5th Edition says min 36.3 max 41.7 but the Hodgdon website database says 42.0 / 45.0 which is the same as my Lee 2nd edition says the same as the website 42.0 / 45.0.

Is the Sierra info wrong?

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    The Hodgdon website does not say what bullet they used to develope their load recommendations. Bullets vary in bearing surface, jacket hardness, etc. Chambers vary also. I'd trust the Sierra data first. 42 grains would be over Sierra's listed maximum. I have had instances in the past where a suggested minimum powder charge was excessive enough to blow a primer pocket. Follow the age old advice of "Start low and work up slow"

tactical723

3 Gun / F Class Player
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    Northshore - Covington, LA
    I am using 44.75 gr of Varget with my 175gr Smk. However my oal length is longer than the standard as I have my bullets .020 off the lands. I am shooting 2690 fps. I will repost when I get home and measure my oal. Don't recall off hand

Goatwhiskers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Always remember that every rifle is a law unto itself, loading manuals are guidelines, nothing more. Start low and work your way up, checking for danger signs along the way, then checking for accuracy improvements or detractions. Goat

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedactedUsername
    Top Bottom