Reloading Novice!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shooter7

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 17, 2013
    southeast LA
    Novice here, pretty much have all my equipment to start, but lacking dies, 9mm and 40 S&W, and digital scales. Have a balance scale. Looking for LEE carbide dies, since I went ahead and purchased the lee loadmaster and kit. Any advice or knowledge of where I can get some dies would be greatly appreciated.

gasanchez84

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2013
    The Woodland, TX
    I was browsing the Net and found 40S&W dies in stock at Palmetto State Armory. They are RCBS brand, carbide, 3-die set for $49.99. Get it while you can because 40S&W is a popular pistol caliber for reloading right now. As far as 9mm goes... I've been looking for about 2 months for dies with no luck. Major vendors are all out of stock and heavily back ordered. eBay has some listings but they are going at 2x and 3x normal price. If you REALLY need those now that's probably your best and only route. Good luck and let us know what you find!

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    I was browsing the Net and found 40S&W dies in stock at Palmetto State Armory. They are RCBS brand, carbide, 3-die set for $49.99. Get it while you can because 40S&W is a popular pistol caliber for reloading right now. As far as 9mm goes... I've been looking for about 2 months for dies with no luck. Major vendors are all out of stock and heavily back ordered. eBay has some listings but they are going at 2x and 3x normal price. If you REALLY need those now that's probably your best and only route. Good luck and let us know what you find!

Are you guys checking Amazon? I ordered some (9mm dies) Wednesday and they'll be here Monday.

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    Try La. Gun and Reloading Supply in Baton Rouge.(225) 389-6077, 12728 Jefferson Hwy.

Another source is CH4D. Go to thier site at ch4d.com and see thier products. These people make very good dies, you are ordering directly from the maker. And you don't have to buy a complete set, they sell individual dies and parts.

They also sell other reloading gear like powder scales, measures ,presses, universal replacement parts for presses. I bought an old Eagle Cobra single station press, it needed a spring clip for the shellholder and a primer arm...They fixed me up and now it's restored to a working press again....Good folks.

Gary

Last edited:

shooter7

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 17, 2013
    southeast LA
    i just got the rest of my stuff in today, still waiting on some loading blocks, tumbler, and some ammo cases, which will all be here Monday. Got all my dies today in the mail, all I lack is a factory crimp die 40 cal, which i know or read is not necessary but got anyway. Thinking about trying out about 50 rounds while watching LSU play. Thanks for all the advise. Found the 9mm dies at 10 ring.com. they messed up an order for something else and when they called I told them I would accomodate them if they could help me out and they had some some 9mm luger dies that were being held for something but sent them to me, found the 40 cal from a guy in Texas from glocktalk. only thing i lack in dies is the factory crimp 40 cal. I still got another set of 9mm and 40 cal dies that are backordered through titan reloading

shooter7

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 17, 2013
    southeast LA
    Did my first 10 reloads this afternoon. Screwed up on first 4 by either oversetting/crimping or the bullet shifted to one side right before it lifted into set die. The Fifth one fell over. The last 5 were 100% great. All five fired outside and my group of five was fantastic. So, 50% of my first 10 were a success, learned alot. Learned also how messy powder can be. I enjoyed it, time flew by. Could only dis arm 2 of the 4 bullets, so saved 2 bullets, threw two away. Anyway, as time goes on, it can only get better, especially when I learn exactly where my dies are to be set for each type of projectile.

Scorpion210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    If you pass by Bass Pro in Denham Springs, ask for Ray in the gun dept. He has a wealth of knowledge about reloading and enjoys helping those just staring out in the hobby.

Top Bottom