Reloading Question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    As far as bullet seating depth how close do your dimensions have to be to the book? For 9mm my Lyman manualhas a bullet length of 1.169" and a diameter of 0.380". If I am +/- 0.002 is that close enough?

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    Unless you're right on the edge, no worries. With my competition pistol loads which are all middle of the pack, on a progressive press and mixed brass good ammo might vary by .006 or more at the extremes, with most falling in a range of variance of maybe half that, off the top of my head. With the same brass lightly used, say 1X fired, everything will run .002 or under, in my experience.

Once you get your load development done and your setup dialed in, spot checks can make you aware of issues. A set of calipers and a case gauge are always good friends for a reloader to have handy ;)

You're right in being careful...really short-seated rounds can spike pressures...normally, at worst, really long-seated ones won't fit your mags or feed.

Storm52

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Shreveport
    I spot check (QC) with case gauge about 10 out of every 100 when I have to reload the primer tubes. Calipers do the same but a bit more time consuming. Depending on your load technique, you'll get where you can spot OAL issues.

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    Before you load a few hundred of them, always run a few thru your pistol; you never know about the contour of the bullet matching your chamber.

atonguis

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    Central, LA
    As far as bullet seating depth how close do your dimensions have to be to the book? For 9mm my Lyman manualhas a bullet length of 1.169" and a diameter of 0.380". If I am +/- 0.002 is that close enough?

That length of 1.169 is max (safe max anyway) but if you look at each bullet weight and shape in the lyman manual they list the OAL for that bullet as min (shortest) with those powders and grains, go shorter than that and KB! Longer is fine, but you will not get the same specs as listed under that category.

atonguis

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    Central, LA
    load OAL for your pistol

if you want to find the correct OAL for your pistol, take a fired casing and stick a bullet in the casing and press it into the barrel until it stops on the lands. Take it out then measure the whole round and subtract a couple .001 and that is what your OAL should be for that gun. Adjust powder accordingly to length, it will take a chrono tho if you want specific velocities;)

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    if you want to find the correct OAL for your pistol, take a fired casing and stick a bullet in the casing and press it into the barrel until it stops on the lands. Take it out then measure the whole round and subtract a couple .001 and that is what your OAL should be for that gun. Adjust powder accordingly to length, it will take a chrono tho if you want specific velocities;)

More often than not, the magazine will be the limiting factor in OAL

atonguis

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    Central, LA
    You are so right scooterj !

I was just stating to find the correct OAL for that pistol that is the best way to do it, and it usually gives you the most accurate round, provided one has dialed in the proper grains of powder for that particular brand/burn rate. One of my favorite bullets is the Bayou Bullet 9mm 147grn Flat Point, but if I use the method I described they are too long to function properly in the stock magazine. But I found some other brands of magazines that they function flawlessly in and it makes for one heck of an accurate round. I am talking touching holes accurate at 30+ yards.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom