Reloading Shotshell

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kuffaar

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2019
    Lafayette
    Does anyone reload for their shotgun? I'm looking at ordering me a few things to get started. I have some brass hulls coming in Monday.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

MPHymel

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 30, 2021
    SE LA
    Does anyone reload for their shotgun? I'm looking at ordering me a few things to get started. I have some brass hulls coming in Monday.

It has been quite a while. If you dont have a reloader,, Mayville Engineering "MEC" was the Cadillac back when we were doing it. Steel shot was a pain to reload though, it bridges up in the tube easily.

Kuffaar

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2019
    Lafayette
    It has been quite a while. If you dont have a reloader,, Mayville Engineering "MEC" was the Cadillac back when we were doing it. Steel shot was a pain to reload though, it bridges up in the tube easily.
    I'm going to look into that. Does it resize and have crimper?

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    I'm going to look into that. Does it resize and have crimper?

I reload .410 on a MEC Junior.

It will de-prime / re-size on the first station. Prime on the second. Throw a powder charge, add a shot cup and throw the shot charge on the third. Start a crimp on the fourth and finish the crimp in the fifth station.

Easy. I really enjoy loading for .410. I'll be shooting a bunch tomorrow.

.410 is easily THE most cost effective gauge, (caliber), to reload. It uses half the components as 12 ga, and costs twice as much at the store.

28ga and 16ga are cost effective.

12 and 20 aren't as economically productive in normal times unless you load in bulk. However there are still advantages to having custom handloads.

I was looking for equipment to load shot shell last night for a buddy. Good luck. The pandemic has made those presses hard to get.

Kuffaar

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2019
    Lafayette
    I reload .410 on a MEC Junior.

It will de-prime / re-size on the first station. Prime on the second. Throw a powder charge, add a shot cup and throw the shot charge on the third. Start a crimp on the fourth and finish the crimp in the fifth station.

Easy. I really enjoy loading for .410. I'll be shooting a bunch tomorrow.

.410 is easily THE most cost effective gauge, (caliber), to reload. It uses half the components as 12 ga, and costs twice as much at the store.

28ga and 16ga are cost effective.

12 and 20 aren't as economically productive in normal times unless you load in bulk. However there are still advantages to having custom handloads.

I was looking for equipment to load shot shell last night for a buddy. Good luck. The pandemic has made those presses hard to get.
    Yeah it has. Thanks for your info! I'm currently searching ebay. Its about the only option right now. I have a press for my pistol rifle rounds. Was thinking of casting some slugs also.

tallguy606

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Houma LA
    Used to reload

Yeah it has. Thanks for your info! I'm currently searching ebay. Its about the only option right now. I have a press for my pistol rifle rounds. Was thinking of casting some slugs also.

I used to reload for 12 ga years ago. Then the price of shot got so high, if you figured out the cost of primers, powder, wads, and shot, you could buy cheap target loads at big box store for the same money. So why go to all the work? Maybe now if shells are hard to find it might make a little more sense.

Kuffaar

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2019
    Lafayette
    I used to reload for 12 ga years ago. Then the price of shot got so high, if you figured out the cost of primers, powder, wads, and shot, you could buy cheap target loads at big box store for the same money. So why go to all the work? Maybe now if shells are hard to find it might make a little more sense.
    Thats exactly what I was thinking. Its hard to find most hunting loads across the board. 22lr - 12gauge

Bmash

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2013
    Zachary, LA
    I use a MEC 9000 in 12 ga. It is a progressive press. Works well. I haven’t loaded steel or slugs but I believe they take some different components. A friend asked about getting one recently and I told him I probably wouldn’t bother now that lead is so high. I have enough lead to last for a while that I bought at $20/25#. I’ll probably still load with expensive lead since I already have powder, wads, hulls, and primers.

Hoot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2007
    Picayune, MS
    Reloading brass shot shells is different from paper or plastic. If you're going to use black powder, there's lots of information. Not so much for smokeless. I'm just starting, so I don't have any personal knowledge to give you, but here are some links that I've found interesting.

https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2011/10/6/loading-brass-shotshells/

https://forums.sassnet.com/index.php?/topic/264435-solid-brass-shotgun-shells-with-smokeless-powder/

https://forums.sassnet.com/index.ph...ho-loads-all-brass-shotshells-with-smokeless/

LaBelle

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Near Natchitoches
    I used to reload brass hulls while at the range!
    Circle Fly is a company with lots of good info and products: over shot cards, fiber wads, card stamps, cutters, etc.

I used an antique handloader that would prime and deprime, but would use a nail and wood "whacker" to deprime, saving wear and tear on the antique loader.

I had a short piece of 2x4 with a dime-sized hole cut in it, placed the empty hull over hole, punched out the spent primer, pressed in new primer with same tool, measured out and poured in the black powder, slipped in a fiber wad, put in shot load then topped the shot with a thin card. A wood dowel that was slightly smaller in diameter than the hull was used to compress the powder/shot column slightly.

Then I used a thin bead of Elmer's white glue around the wad edge, or clear fingernail polish to seal. Let it dry for 5-8 mins and shoot again!

The brass hulls I have use pistol primers, not shotgun primers.

Kuffaar

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2019
    Lafayette
    I used to reload brass hulls while at the range!
    Circle Fly is a company with lots of good info and products: over shot cards, fiber wads, card stamps, cutters, etc.

I used an antique handloader that would prime and deprime, but would use a nail and wood "whacker" to deprime, saving wear and tear on the antique loader.

I had a short piece of 2x4 with a dime-sized hole cut in it, placed the empty hull over hole, punched out the spent primer, pressed in new primer with same tool, measured out and poured in the black powder, slipped in a fiber wad, put in shot load then topped the shot with a thin card. A wood dowel that was slightly smaller in diameter than the hull was used to compress the powder/shot column slightly.

Then I used a thin bead of Elmer's white glue around the wad edge, or clear fingernail polish to seal. Let it dry for 5-8 mins and shoot again!

The brass hulls I have use pistol primers, not shotgun primers.
    That's awesome! I just picked up a fresh pound of powder just for these hulls. Mine take large pistol primers. I'm pretty excited to start loading them. I'm about to cast some copper slugs this weekend and test them out. I'm sizing them to the wads I have. I would like to try out some black powder. I'm going to keep an eye out for some. Was also thinking of getting into primitive hunting being not sure when my rifle rounds are going to surface again.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    That's awesome! I just picked up a fresh pound of powder just for these hulls. Mine take large pistol primers. I'm pretty excited to start loading them. I'm about to cast some copper slugs this weekend and test them out. I'm sizing them to the wads I have. I would like to try out some black powder. I'm going to keep an eye out for some. Was also thinking of getting into primitive hunting being not sure when my rifle rounds are going to surface again.

Mag-tech ?

brknight

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2015
    Haughton, LA
    Lee Load-alls a good choice

I have loaded probably a few thou shotgun shells in 20 and 12 ga. Never went high tech or high $. I've had 3 Lee Load-alls. My first one was bought back in the late 70s and had the aluminum base-20ga. The later ones are plastic but don't ever think they can't do the job. I stay with Win AA hulls. I also cast slugs with the Lee 7/8 oz. mould and use the Lee press. I use a shotcup with the petals trimmed back to the flat side of the slug. I never heard of anyone casting copper slugs. Sounds pretty wicked.

Kuffaar

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2019
    Lafayette
    I have loaded probably a few thou shotgun shells in 20 and 12 ga. Never went high tech or high $. I've had 3 Lee Load-alls. My first one was bought back in the late 70s and had the aluminum base-20ga. The later ones are plastic but don't ever think they can't do the job. I stay with Win AA hulls. I also cast slugs with the Lee 7/8 oz. mould and use the Lee press. I use a shotcup with the petals trimmed back to the flat side of the slug. I never heard of anyone casting copper slugs. Sounds pretty wicked.
    This one measured out to 3/4 ounce. I used my 3d printer to make the ones I wanted to cast. Then made a plaster mold and burned out the plastic. Then while hot I poured a 90 copper 10 aluminum mix. My mold did fail so only 2 survived this round. Next time I'm going to pour about 2 dozen. I did 6 this time as a test.

This is a target skeet loaded (cheap stuff) I printed a cutter to cur the top remove the 1 ounce of lead. Stuffed the slug in and called it good. Now to test the load to see what it does.
    abd1e528dc55954a3f1458c68438fdce.jpg

Kuffaar

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2019
    Lafayette
    I also got 50 of these bad boys ready to go. Just need to find or make some 10gauge wads.
    a548ad52cf8dbf2ede17d2dda261e25a.jpg

Top Bottom