Remington 700 question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • headshot

Mentally Hilarious
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Gonzales LA
    My Remington 700 is not as accurate as I would like. I have tried 4 different brands of ammo and none shoot bad but no 1 brand stands out. I noticed that the stock is touching the barrel but only at the end. The last 1/2" holds the barrel tight, where the rest of the stock has space b/t barrel and stock.

Should I sand the stock out and free float the barrel?

kengel2

Rabble Rabble
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Bedico
    I would to, which model 700 is it? I never had good luck with the 150gr cheap stuff. I dont even think I finished shooting the 2 boxes I bought.

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Check for a set screw that applies tension on the barrel at the end of the stock, if so adj, a little, it can greatly affect accuracy

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    If it's the SPS, you would benefit by a stock upgrade...IIRC it's a Hogue that isn't free floated. When I was planning on buying an SPS I had ordered the upgraded stock offered on the 700P before I even got the rifle...then didn't get the rifle, but a 700P instead.

The stock is available through Midway.

bayoupirate

God of Thunder
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Raceland, Louisiana
    I would but that's just me. I did this with a Weatherby that the wood stock did the same thing.

Good advise here on checking for stock interference issues.

Rolling your own is the best solution once the other issues are addressed.

Much cheaper too.

If you've tried a few boxes of loads, you already have the brass.
    A set of dies is about the same cost as a new box of 300 WSM.

Good Luck!

103M 95G

Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Apr 6, 2009
    Westbank
    I picked up a pawn shop 700 in 30-06 a few years back. I was told it could not hit the broad side of a barn at 10 yards.
    After scrubbing all of the fouling out of the barrel with a combination of sweets 7.62/Butches bore shine/ kano kroil/ Hoppys #9. the rifle will almost cloverleaf now with 165g projectiles.
    I'm not saying that free floating that last 2" of your barrel wont cure your issue, but mine just needed a good cleaning

headshot

Mentally Hilarious
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Gonzales LA
    I picked up a pawn shop 700 in 30-06 a few years back. I was told it could not hit the broad side of a barn at 10 yards.
    After scrubbing all of the fouling out of the barrel with a combination of sweets 7.62/Butches bore shine/ kano kroil/ Hoppys #9. the rifle will almost cloverleaf now with 165g projectiles.
    I'm not saying that free floating that last 2" of your barrel wont cure your issue, but mine just needed a good cleaning

The gun is only 2 years old, plus ALL of my guns stay so clean they look wet

peterf225

Rating - 100%
    126   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Prairieville
    You have a couple options. 1) free floated the barrel in the factory stock. 2) bed the action in the stock. 3) get a quality aftermarket stock and bed the action to it. And finally get a jewel trigger for it. Believe it or not changing the factory trigger to a quality aftermarket trigger like jewel will help you shoot better which will in turn make the gun shoot better.

headshot

Mentally Hilarious
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Gonzales LA
    I like the X mark trigger that is in there, It's not bad at all. Plus I am shooting prone; when I shoot the gun feels like it is locked in a vice

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Gonzales
    Try a different scope may have objective movement and check mount. I had one every shot all over the place tried a scope from a different rifle it is now perfect.

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    103 95M was talking about the bore not the outside. Look at those 700's they shoot in scout sniper school. They aren't wet and shiny but they shoot. I like Boretech Eliminator. It cleans carbon and copper without the harsh ammonia like Sweets 7.62.

Trust me heed the advise on the trigger making a difference and one it is all set up I gaurantee it will print better than 1.5 inch groups.

Top Bottom