Remington 700 question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Need more info. What kind of scope and rings are you using? Are you shooting off bags or some kind of led sled? Having it cryoed may or may not help, but it only cost $75 dollars so it is worth trying in my opinion.

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    Before you go sanding on your stock, answer this. Where the end of the forend touches the stock, does it do so evenly around the bottom and sides of the barrel? If so, it was designed to do this it is called Contact Bedding. It is not used much any more but it does work. Many Match 1903 springfields were built using it and guns can be very accurate with it. Because of the stock touching the barrel, when benching the gun shoot it with a good rest and sandbags, resting the forend on the front bag. Hold the stock with your forward hand and do not touch the barrel or pull on the sling. Try to get in the same position every time you shoot.
    If it appears the stock has warped and is touching say only the bottom or one side, then yes free float it. However all free floating does is eleminate the way you hold the rifle from affecting the point of impact. You will not see an improvement in group size, just you group shift one way or the other. Otherwise I would leave it alone and work on other areas such as cleaning the bore, making sure the mounts are tight, trigger, glass bedding, handloading as you will recieve much more of a return in accuracy from those.

headshot

Mentally Hilarious
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Gonzales LA
    Need more info. What kind of scope and rings are you using? Are you shooting off bags or some kind of led sled? Having it cryoed may or may not help, but it only cost $75 dollars so it is worth trying in my opinion.

It's topped with a Leupold vx3 3x9x50 on Leupold rings and mounts. It HAS been cryo'd. I was shooting prone but the wind was gusting pretty bad.

I went to a friends house today and shot off of a bench and bags. It shot about an inch to inch and a half at 200; I can live with that.

I guess the wind affects a bullet more than I thought. I'm shooting 180gr projectiles, I thought it would take more than a 10 mph wind to blow that around.

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    A 10 mph is strong. It will affect left and right but your elevation will be consistient if you and your load are consistant. So if your groups were say 1/2" up and down and 2" left and right then yes wind. If it was as vertical as it was horizontal then something could be improved on.

If you decide to sand the stock, find a deep socket the size of the barrel channel and wrap some coarse sand paper around it and it will make short work of the job.

headshot

Mentally Hilarious
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Gonzales LA
    That's what I had in mind. Actually I was going to use a dow rod. I have decided against that. The couple of people I have talked to, who I trust, have told me to leave it like it is, or buy a new stock, because it was designed to hug the barrel for bedding purposes.

peterf225

Rating - 100%
    126   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Prairieville
    You can leave it like it is but I have found on my factory 700 rifles they shot better with a free floated barrel. If it's a wood stock you also have to worry about humidity causing the stock to swell ever so slighty which can have a negative affect.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Well, 300 round will be more suceptible to wind than say a 243. But I would think it could do better than 1 1/2" at 200yds. Who knows:confused:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bruce robison
    Top Bottom