Remington R1 1911 is putting dents in the sides of cases

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RG43

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2016
    Covington, La
    I got a used Remington R1 awhile back, a 1911 GI type pistol, and it is putting a dent or crease in the sides of the cases when it ejects the spent cases after firing. They come out ok, and the gun fires fine, but the cases all have the dent in them. Makes the cases unusable for reloads. I was told it's probably the spring is rebounding the slide too fast, the timing on it is off. I'm wondering if simply replacing the slide spring would be worth trying? If so, do I need to contact Remington or is there a good source for other parts to try? Any advice?

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I got a used Remington R1 awhile back, a 1911 GI type pistol, and it is putting a dent or crease in the sides of the cases when it ejects the spent cases after firing. They come out ok, and the gun fires fine, but the cases all have the dent in them. Makes the cases unusable for reloads. I was told it's probably the spring is rebounding the slide too fast, the timing on it is off. I'm wondering if simply replacing the slide spring would be worth trying? If so, do I need to contact Remington or is there a good source for other parts to try? Any advice?

Pictures are worth a thousand words. You can tell a lot by looking at the damaged cases.

RG43

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2016
    Covington, La
    Yes, pictures are worth a thousand words, pictures I can do.

Attachments

• RemingtonR1-dented-shells.jpg
      RemingtonR1-dented-shells.jpg
      73.4 KB · Views: 95

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Bring it to a good smith and have your ejector tuned, then load that brass and shoot it again! thats how you get those dents out :eek3::D

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    When I read your original post, I was thinking of a dent along the length of the case, but those dents are common with 1911's. This is what is happening:

You're going to need a smith to work on your ejector, as kz45 said.

RG43

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2016
    Covington, La
    When I read your original post, I was thinking of a dent along the length of the case, but those dents are common with 1911's. This is what is happening:

You're going to need a smith to work on your ejector, as kz45 said.

That's very ineteresting, Dave. Wasn't what I was imagining was happening, but now that I see it in slow mo I see what I was imagining isn't likely. I was thinking the slide was coming back too fast and hitting the shell as it was initially ejecting, but I can see that would be unlikely to happen.

RG43

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2016
    Covington, La
    My R1 does that on occasion....I don't worry about it, I reload the cases and keep going.

Someone told me I couldn't reload these cases unless I straightened them out somehow, which seems like it wouldn't be worth the trouble to do. But I was wondering how important it would be to get the dents out, they don't seem too significant. Of course, with ammo little things can be significant.

RG43

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2016
    Covington, La
    Yeah, this gun doesn't do it on occasion, does it with every round. Any recommendations on a good smith on the Northshore, anyone?

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    I 'm just wondering if changing the grain size of the bullet would change this? I don't know what you are shooting 180g, 230g, ???

RG43

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2016
    Covington, La
    I 'm just wondering if changing the grain size of the bullet would change this? I don't know what you are shooting 180g, 230g, ???

Mainly 230gn, but I might have shot some 200.

- - - Updated - - -

Northshore? No.

Louisiana? Yes.

Clark Custom Guns is who you seek.

Roy Smitt 504-887-9228
    Lloyd Landry 225-647-1909 (Gonzales)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks for the recommendations.

stogie5150

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2016
    Slidell,LA
    Someone told me I couldn't reload these cases unless I straightened them out somehow, which seems like it wouldn't be worth the trouble to do. But I was wondering how important it would be to get the dents out, they don't seem too significant. Of course, with ammo little things can be significant.

Me, personally, I load them and carry on. You can make your own choice. But my R1 doesnt dent EVERY case either. I'd call Remington, myself, used gun or not.

Top Bottom