Remington underhammer

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 4sooth

enthusiast
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I have a friend who has shown me a muzzle loader his anther has had since he was young. The father is 73--he got the gun from his father who was born in about 1880 or so. Just ahead of the receiver on the barrel is Remington. This is barely readable due to the patina and some rust. We did not look any further due to time constraints. It has a six sided one and 3/16 inch diameter barrel of 32-34 inches in length, a false muzzle, an under hammer percussion lockwork, very unusual tang sight which is raised and lowered by sliding a wedge back and forth. The bore is 36-40 caliber. It may have a set trigger but i did not have time to check. So far I've not found anything on the net which is like this. Any ideas are appreciated.

4sooth

enthusiast
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I have a friend who has shown me a muzzle loader his father has had since he was young. The father is 73--he got the gun from his father who was born in about 1880 or so. Just ahead of the receiver on the barrel is Remington. This is barely readable due to the patina and some rust. We did not look any further due to time constraints. It has a six sided one and 3/16 inch diameter barrel of 32-34 inches in length, a false muzzle, an under hammer percussion lockwork, very unusual tang sight which is raised and lowered by sliding a wedge back and forth. The bore is 36-40 caliber. It may have a set trigger but i did not have time to check. So far I've not found anything on the net which is like this. Any ideas are appreciated.

4sooth

enthusiast
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Been helping our act give birth to SEVEN kittens! Did some more research and found this to be a D.M. Varney Blu target rifle. The pictures reveal it is missing the trigger guard but is other wise intact. The barrel/barrels were made by Remington which explains the Remington stamped on the barrel. The guy lives thirty miles from me so I can't easily get pictures--but I will put some up in the future.

Huckleberry

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    River Ridge, LA
    I'd love to see pictures of that gun, with close-up pictures of the action/breech area. I wonder if the trigger guard was also the mainspring for the hammer (as with many underhammers), or whether the hammer is driven by a spring internal to the breech.

Top Bottom