Retention Knife

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • UnseenUSPCompact

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Im doing a little research about buying a good retention knife. Who on here carries a retention knife and what are some good options out there? thanks.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    it's custom measured to your fingers. you measure your fingers and order based on the measurement. i think it'd be pretty badass since you can still use your hands and not have the knife go anywhere.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    I have both the short bladed belt-worn Ka-Bar TDI and recently acquired ankle version (longer blade and less of an angle). I've been wearing both on duty lately to get a feel for which I prefer, and I find myself leaning to the belt-worn. In a situation where the excrement has been flung upon the bladed oscillator, I think this one would be easier to reach near the center of your body.

Blown330

I shoot therefore I am.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    S'port
    About what size of a knife are you looking for. I have 3 currently. A CRKT Stiff KISS, a S&W SW990, and a Simonich Mid-tech Bitteroot. The CRKT is a bit on the large size for neck carry but does offer several options with the clip and a belt loop that is attached with machine screws. The S&W is light and the 440 steel is easy to sharpen. Cheap too. The Simonich is tiny but is solid S30V steel. Not cheap either.

CRKT Review:

http://www.riversmallies.com/reviews_mh6.html

S&W

http://www.thebladeshop.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=651

Simonich

http://aqdwr.org/knives/bob/fixed/bitteroot.html

George

Don't tase me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Denham springs
    i have a K bar for the belt. I use to wear it on duty but stopped. It is the serrated. I will sell it if someone local (BR area) wants it. This one pictured is NOT mine. Mine is in mint cond.

ka1481_2.jpg

Paul Gomez

www.Gomez-Training.com
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Baton Rouge, More or Less
    I think the TDI has got to be the best value for money out there for a small, in-fight fixed blade. However, the issue sheath is lacking for anything other than its' original intent [on the trouser belt, under the duty belt, behind the mag pouch, set up for offhand access].

You can get a live Ka-Bar TDI, an Infight Access Sheath for it, a Ka-Bar TDI trainer and a red IFS for it all for about $125 and that is a screaming little setup.

Having said that, the idea of a 'retention knife' is based on some flawed assumptions about what you can pull off against an aggressive opponent who has stolen the initiative in an all-out scramble. The small, accessible fixed blade has a definite place in your arsenal, but it is not as simple as 'anchor and shank' or 'cut him off'.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    MiyaMarukutsune
    Top Bottom