Revocable Trust

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bayoutrigger

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    Alexandria, La.
    Most Louisiana attorneys are scared of trusts. Although there are some limitations because of our Louisiana system of law, for the most part trusts are a no hassle way to handle things.

I'm not sure that I understand when a trust needs to register/file with the Louisiana Department of Public Safety. Must all trusts that are going to own a class III firearm register with the state or is it only trusts that are going to manufacture a class III item must register?

Last edited:

cajun 22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Houma, LA
    Bayoutrigger

Thanks for stepping up to help out the shooting family here get the fun stuff.
    I have three items through my trust and have been posting my trek through the process. You do not register the trust with the state police, you list the trust as the applicant/maker on the forms. You only record the items in schedule A and any changes you make to it at the clerk of court office in your parish. My trust does not list a minimum age of trustees but you have to follow federal law on this one. You can however list younger people (your kids) as benificiary and the items will be held in trust until they are of legal age and qualify to own the items. Shoot me a PM and I will give additional info you may be looking for.

cajun

Last edited:

cajun 22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Houma, LA
    bhunt261

That's good info. I have heard of people doing this in LA and getting approved. It would be money well spent to let an attorney look it over for flaws for LA has some of the worst napoleanic trust laws in the country. Then proceed. He is also in Texas where things are a lot less complicated. Also you need to send the entire trust document in now, not just a declaration.

Good Luck

Top Bottom