Revolver for CCW

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wadepat2

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Jan 10, 2008
    Delcambre,La
    Does anyone CC a wheel gun? Im looking for something a little lighter and a little easier to carry than my officer 1911. I have gotten used to carring my 1911 and can conceal it with just a t-shirt(just barely). My problem is when working I have to unholster and lock it in the truck and then reholster when I get back in the truck. I work on the road and have to do this 3-4 times a day sometimes. Is their a revolver that would work with a pocket holster or a single clip style holster that is da/sa and fairly easy to control when shooting. I bought a Ruger LCP for this and it worked great size wise but, The trigger sucked,the damn thing felt like it would flip clean out of your hand and I couldnt hit the target at any distance so I sold it.

Im happy with my 1911 and Im keeping my out out for a HK PSP but would like a quicker alternative for when I will be jumping in and out the truck. That and I have never owned a revolver.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    S&W J Frame... kicks like a mule, but accurate if you do your part and train with it a bit, you could conceal it at a nude beach its so tiny :eek3:

Nick

a.k.a. Nick™
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    well, I traded off my wheelgun and sometimes wish I hadn't... but it was perfect in a pocket holster. It was as suggested above, a S&W J-frame. They only hold 5 shots and shoot as described... awesome little guns and great for slipping it in your shorts or slacks pocket real quick and discreetly. Look for a hamerless version for pocket carry.

Screaming Eagle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Heel of the Boot
    I've got a Dan Wesson .357 with a 2" barrel. Wouldn't want to shoot it and count on it past about 30 yards or so, but great closeup gun. When I say, 'count on it' I'm talking about target shooting. It would probably be fine for goon shooting if I ever had to. Fits very nicely in a standard fanny pack, thank you.

GBob01

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 29, 2007
    the northshore
    S&W 642; in front pocket holster, five 110gr hyrda-shoks. I forget I'm even carrying it, it's so light. Great for summer clothing.
    normal_642.JPG

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    Thanks guys, thats the info I was looking for. Might be good time to get a fullsize 1911 and get rid of the little 1911 for a J frame.:)

Perhaps Pangris and/or LSP will chime in. Both have way above average handgun skills - and both can give you the positives and the limitations of J-frames

Conceyted

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Metairie, LA
    I carry an S&W 340 M&P CT. It is light and powerful. I quote someone else who owned a .357 snub nose, "if you miss you can bet the attacker will still either be deaf or on fire." The main reason I went with a .357 snub nose over a .38 was that S&W puts a lot nicer features on their .357's. Mine has an XS Tritium front sight and it's actually LIGHTER than the .38 airlites. However, the price on these guns is outrageous. The gun isn't terribly accurate but what do you expect from such a tiny gun. The best part about it is that it packs a HUGE punch for its size and it can go with you anywhere. I have worn it around people in nothing but boxers and shorts that I sleep in + an undershirt. I carry either pocket carry using a Mika's Round Cut Pocket Holster or in my SmartCarry Holster. Both are fairly comfortable with pocket being the most comfortable.

IMG_2114.JPG

GBob01

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 29, 2007
    the northshore
    Lighter than a 642, AND .357 magnum......Ouch, hurts my hand just thinking about it.

The 642 isn't that bad, and for a snubby is really quite controllable.

Cajun_Chuck

Premium Certified Cajun
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    S&w 442

This is what sits on my hip after my shower at night, while I am in my lounging around garb. Wifey's gun, but sure is nice lil bugger when you sitting on the recliner watching TV. Can't even tell its there, but I know that it will do what it has to if I need it.

SW442_1.jpg

SW442.jpg

TxShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    East Texas
    The successor, if it can be called that, to the 19/66 is the 620. Built on the L frame. As a fan of older Smiths, there's not a lot to like. 7-shot cylinder, two-piece barrel, MIM internals, and that blasted internal lock (even though it can be disabled, the recontoured frame around the hammer is still ugly). They also have smooth backstraps...standard now, but for decades a grooved backstrap was a hallmark of S&W adjustable-sighted revolvers.

The successor to the 13/65 is the 619. 4" heavybarrel, with an unshrouded ejector rod and fixed sights. Otherwise the same as the 620. The model numbers are hard to follow if you're used to the old naming conventions. 619 would evoke a stainless 19 (though that was the 66) and the 620 brings to mind either the M20 .38/44 Heavy Duty or the 520 fixed sight, N frame .357 that was ordered by the New York State Police then released on the commercial market when they picked the L frame instead.

Cajun_Chuck

Premium Certified Cajun
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I also love my S&W 442 for ccw!

Btw Smith is making the model 642 and the 442 with out the lock!

I might sell my 442 with some trigger and action work to buy the no lock!

What's the difference, besides the no lock. Is there a mechanical difference or any improvements? Or is it just the idea of having no lock? To me the trigger job & aftermarket mods > no lock; if there is no difference in function.

Don't mean to thread jack, but I think this is a valid question for the OP. ;)

Thanks

Top Bottom