Revolver for CCW

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dragginaknee

Gun Addict!!
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 7, 2006
    Northshore (north of Covington)
    You are both right, it doesn't make a difference. but I have heard stories of the lock, locking the gun out while you are shooting it. Not often but it has happened! I never lock it, which thats why i would like the no lock, plus it reminds me of the old guns!

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I cant even read the model number on my J frame... I'm pretty sure its older than me though. maybe LSP can chime in, he found it :-D

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    Mines all black with a covered hammer.... I still havent requal'd with that thing... might as well wait til next year now lol. I only brought 4 or 5 guns to qual day no clue why we didnt have time to run through them all :confused:

That little guy is with me every day at work though. I still need to get around to finding a good holster that doesnt cost a weeks salary to make it ride IWB like I want

GBob01

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 29, 2007
    the northshore
    Wrong, sir. Makes BIG difference.

Even if you disable the damn thing, it can still tie up your gun. Happened to me.

I'm on about a half a dozen gun boards, and I have heard (second/third hand info) that this has happened. You are the first I have heard claim that it has happened to you. I'm not doubting you, but would like to know which model was it that the lock malfunctioned on, and was it one that you may have tampered with trying to disable it? What happened and under what circumstances did it fail?

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Mines all black with a covered hammer.... I still havent requal'd with that thing... might as well wait til next year now lol. I only brought 4 or 5 guns to qual day no clue why we didnt have time to run through them all :confused:

That little guy is with me every day at work though. I still need to get around to finding a good holster that doesnt cost a weeks salary to make it ride IWB like I want

Please share your findings. I asked about a good IWB holster for my j frame on arfcom and all I got was a bunch of smartass answers saying I should carry a G26 if im gonna carry IWB...:squint:

Cajun_Chuck

Premium Certified Cajun
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Yikes LSP. Well, that is somewhat discouraging. :(

I do still believe that it is one of the most reliable & appropriate pocket/CC revolvers. Everyone thinks that it won't be them, but we all know the brutal truth to that.

My wife will be shooting a Sig tomorrow and decide whether or not she changes her pistol choice for carry. She is somewhat discouraged by the weight of the Sig, being almost twice as heavy as her 442, but we will see.

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    Check out Don Hume. I have been happy with every holster I have purchased. The search feature does not always work well on thier site, so make sure you browse for the item.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Well, I hope this doesn't come across as smart-ass, but I agree; if you're going to the trouble of carrying IWB, acquiring a quality (i.e., expensive) holster, might as well tote something with a bit more grunt.

OTOH, if you just WANT to carry your M342 IWB, or would rather not spring for another, more suitable piece right now, don't expect to find a good holster locally. Look up TTGunLeather; he makes a clone of the bench-mark Sparks VM II that is oustanding. I have one for my P7 and G19. Six to eight week wait, but worth it.

The various iterations of clip holsters (with the spring steel piece that clips over your belt) work, but you're always running the risk of drawing the holster along with the revolver. These holsters also have a problem about shifting around inside your pants; not so much of a problem with an aluminum or ti-scan gun, since they're so light, but a consideration nonetheless.

Basically, you have three options....

1. Cheap clip holster; nylon or thin suede

2. Better quality, leather clip holster- Bianchi, Safariland, Galco, etc.

3. Proper leather holster that is anchored fore and aft by the belt. Sparks, Kramer, Rosen, Tim Thurner (TTGunLeather)

You can find the first two, or have them order one, at a few local emporiums such as BR Police Supplies. The third is strictly a custom proposition.

P.S.: There is a fourth option; one of these morphodite kydex/leather combos that seem to be gaining popularity. I have been monumentally un-impressed with the few I've handled; but then, you know how cranky and old-fashioned I am. They might just work fine for you.

Thanks, Mr. Steve. I did acquire a G26 last week and fully intend on carrying it IWB. But when wearing jeans (cant pocket carry succcessfully with out printing) and wearing a tshirt I find the j frame/IWB set up works the best. Mainly because the gun doesn't have as much "butt" to stick out and print.

Wearing a button up cover garment or polo would get the G26.

Craig

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 23, 2007
    Denham Springs
    Correct me if I'm wrong.

I thought the majority of the failures were in the scandium framed guns like the 360PD mentioned above. They are so light and firing .357 rounds from them, is the biggest culprit.

I have a 642 (.38+P rated) and know how hard it hits with hot loads; I can't imagine a lighter one with hotter (.357) loads.

I've shot mine a good bit with standard pressure loads and 20-30 rds per session of the hot stuff. So far it's running strong, but I am looking for one with out the lock.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Understood, and I know what you're talking about.

But gee, Mr. Fashion Plate... did it ever occur to you to wear different, looser trousers???:D

Carhartt work khakis would solve that little problem in a flash; as in more roomy pockets. Ditto 5.11 pants.

Just dinging you, Joel. I know how it is with you young bucks; gotta look right for the ladies.

Next time we get together, remind me to show you The Graph of a Man's Life...

I gotta look good for teh ladies...:mamoru:

posse comatosis

Hoo-ahh!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Bayou Perdition
    S&W is said to be shipping a limited number of no lock 642's and 442's. Some may be at dealers now. Why is a matter of speculation. Hopefully to test the market for no lock guns (you think they could remember back a few years). Hopefully the market will respond enough to convince S&W to resume making no lock models on a full time basis.

tea333

Dysfunctional Vet
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    Guess I'm in a minority here in using a Ruger SP 101, 2 1/4 in. barrel in .357 mag. as my CC pistol. It's a medium frame revolver that only holds 5 rounds but it's built like a tank and I've never had any problems with it. Am using 125gr. JHP as my usual carry ammo. Have tried 158gr JHP but the recoil for me was to much in a self-defense situation. I've only had to draw down on a scumbag twice and fortunately so far haven't had to discharge my pistol but feel very confident in this pistol should these situations go really bad. I carry my SP 101 in a Galco F.L.E.T.C.H. high ride holster.

grits

infidel
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 22, 2006
    New Iberia
    +1 on the sp.....

8tqpu0hc1apxe35da6fv.jpg

gprlnpvh7e1efo6ndv.jpg

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    I put some Crimsion Trace grips on the wifes J frame. I think it is a very good aid. Just need to find some 38+P rounds cause the 357mag is just a little too much. I got the 649 bodyguard version best of both worlds IMO for single/double action but still minimizing the chance of the gun cocking unintentionally.

grits

infidel
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 22, 2006
    New Iberia
    I put some Crimsion Trace grips on the wifes J frame. I think it is a very good aid. Just need to find some 38+P rounds cause the 357mag is just a little too much. I got the 649 bodyguard version best of both worlds IMO for single/double action but still minimizing the chance of the gun cocking unintentionally.

Were you trying it out at the range a week or 2 ago? If so I was shooting right on the side of you.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Ok I carry revolvers nearly everyday for my CCW. Usually it's a 1955 Colt Cobra but when the weather is foul or I'm likely to be sweating a lot. I carry a S&W Model 66 with a bobbed hammer.

First off snub nose revolvers are just as accurate as six inch barreled revolvers. The only difference is it takes a great deal more practice to be as precise with one. Another way of saying it is that sight radius is what makes the difference not the barrel length. I can with my Colt Cobra shoot just as accurately and precisely as my Colt Official Police MKIII with four inch barrel. It's a matter of trigger control and more practice. Also my Colt Cobra has been to the best Colt gunsmith in country and set up as a CCW which helps the trigger immensely. With my S&W Model 60 I'm not as precise because of the trigger being different. The Cobra stacks more which allows me to stage the trigger easier. But the Colt Police Positive action is well known for stacking. The stacking is preferable to me.

The other benefits to a revolver for CCW is the rounded shape conceals better than the squarish shape of most bottom feeders. You don't have to learn a clearance drill under stress if the round is defective. The revolver won't jam. It's less prone to dust bunnies causing failure to fire issues. The springs are not under tension while loaded. You don't have to worry about bullet shape to see if it'll feed. Self defense ammunition is very expensive. Most people recommend 200 rounds of your self defense ammo run through a bottom feeder before carrying it. Yes it takes longer to reload so don't miss. :) Or you can carry a small bottom feeder (Keltec P32) like I do as a reload.

Dave

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bruce robison
    Top Bottom