Rick Daniel Pennington, the Monroe OC guy, likely defrauded those who donated to him

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Just to fill everyone in, this is what was brought over by Sraacke in the original thread. Pay special attention to the portions in Blue and Plum. This is me just connecting the dots, I am not asserting any of this as fact, however I feel as though my logic is pretty straight forward and I urge you to reach your own conclusions /disclaimer.

The Open Carrier who was arrested in this case has decided to remove the details of this event until after he has had a chance to consult further with his lawyer.
    Thanks for your assistance and stay tuned for further developments.

Louisiana OCer Arrested, Needs Help and Donations

Fellow Open Carriers, a young man was arrested in Monroe, La and jailed after a LEO witnessed him filming an incident with his cellphone and open carrying.
    the original discussion can be found in the La Open Carry Awareness League discussion forum at

weblink edited out by Vermiform
    See below.

Here is his description of what occured as posted in that thread....

Back in February I was coming home from Monroe, OCing my sidearm. While driving through North Monroe I stopped at a local business that deals in retail sales; this business has merchandise and equipment outside. While standing there in the parking lot next to my vehicle, massive police activity began occurring on the hwy. Police began swarming the area from all directions and there were several officers standing out in the road partaking in what appeared to be a search of a vehicle. This was occurring right in front of me in the hwy. I took out my camera and began filming all this activity. I was in no way interfering with any police activity, I was minding my own business and was at least several hundred feet away from the officers when one of the troopers spotted me and began to proceed towards me on foot. He started from the opposite side of the hwy, crossed the shoulder and both driving lanes and proceeded all the way across the parking lot to where I was. As he approached closer to me he was telling me to turn off the camera, I just said "Hi, how are you doing?" When he got about 20 ft from me he spotted my firearm holstered on my side and he stopped and began asking "what are you doing" while demanding me to stop filming, and "what is that on your side" I told him that it was my firearm. He immediately began demanding me for my "permit" for my gun. I told him I have no permit as there is no permit to be had. He insisted that i must have a permit to carry a gun while demanding that I stop filming. By this time he had walked right up on me and was right in my face with my camera between us. I politely told him that he was in open public view and there was no reason that I have to stop filming. He then moved behind me while again asking for my papers for the gun. I explained to him that the firearm was being carried clearly in the open and that there was no permit or papers to be had. He clearly did not know the law. He kept demanding my permit and demanding for me to turn off the camera, I asked why do I have to turn the camera off, there is no law against filming a public servant performing his duties in public view. He said I had to turn it off Because he Said so. I declined. He then began demanding my ID, I proceeded by asking why he wanted my ID? I wasnt operating a motor vehicle, I said. He grabbed my by my arm and slammed me against the hood of the vehicle. He said that's it, You cant carry a damn gun without a permit. I was arrested. They seized my camera and my gun. I know La. carry laws and I was in no way carrying illegally or breaking any other laws for that matter. After sitting in the car for almost an hour I was informed that they called the owner of the business and they were arresting me for trespassing. Yea really. After being transported to the jail they levied charges of trespassing, illegal carry of a firearm, and interference w state police. A detective even interrogated me at the jail for fear that I could've been a "domestic terrorist," all because I was carrying a holstered firearm! I was jailed for 4 days. I am an upstanding citizen, a college student and have no criminal record, never been in any trouble. After being jailed for 3 days the judge demanded the trooper rewrite the affidavit because "he didnt understand why I was arrested in the first place, he didnt see any law I had broken." The trooper did rewrite the affidavit after the 3rd day. He added a 2nd page to the affidavit stating that he approached me and saw an "imprint" of a firearm through my shirt and asked me for my permit which i didnt produce so he arrested me for concealing a handgun under my shirt without a CCW, which is a complete lie. I just wanted to share my story, you people in the Monroe area beware!

*EDIT*
    Upon recommendations of other users I have set up a PayPal donations account for anyone that would like to make a donation to help pay for my legal fund. So far It has cost me $1000 in bond money and $2500 in legal fees and I haven't even been to trial yet. It will likely cost more if it goes to a higher court or has to be appealed. I'm a full time nursing student and I dont have a regular job. I've had to beg for and borrow money, I'm down to selling a couple of firearms now that were passed down to me from my grandfather after he passed. Anything that is given would be greatly appreciated, please use the link below. Thanks and God bless.
    and
    Ok, I have hired a criminal attorney. I have only had arraignment hearing where i plead not guilty. My court date is coming up soon. I have not recovered any of my property, only what was in my pockets like my wallet and stuff, not my firearm or camera. No witnesses other than the video footage which is in their possession. My attorney doesnt want me talking to anyone, i mean for instance talking to the owner of the business to see if he would drop the charges. Therefore I'm not comfortable releasing the name of the arresting officer. Trying to play it safe. I will say that at the 72 hr hearing the judge set my bond at $2700, (i double checked and asked the judge a 2nd time, he confirmed $2700) which you must pay 12% or 14% of that to bond, it should have cost me like $300. Well when the bondsman tried to post the bond it had mysteriously been changed to over $9000 so it cost me $1000 to bond plus my attorney fees @ $2500. I'm struggling
    and
    I do have PayPal set up. I've never considered accepting donations frankly because I wouldnt think anyone would donate. I would definitely appreciate it if someone did donate. I am a full time nursing student and am poor so $5000 is a lot of money to me. It turns out that because of the (I think?) 11th amendment you cannot file suit against the state for damages. You can only suit the trooper personally in small claims court in which there is a small amount set as a limit for which you can ask that nowhere near covers the costs that this is turning out to be just to stand up for my Constitutional Rights. My attorney is Steven Hanson. No news agency has covered it as far as i know, I havent told anyone about it, only my attorney. I was afraid to with the way the police treated me. The affidavit was online for a few days but it was taken down supposedly because it was un legible and embarrassing to the State Police. I dont know if my attorney is well versed in OC. He's been practicing a long time and supposedly does a good job.
    The paypal account is at
    weblink edited out by Vermiform
    See below.

This isn't the first time the Monroe PD has stopped him for filming and open carrying. In fact, there is a Youtube video which was posted by Redeye at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvVulmXQKr4 showing how, after filming the response to a motor vehicle wreck and leaving the OCer was pulled over by police and questioned about filming and Open Carrying.

Please go to the forum if you have any advice or can help in any way. Donate to help with his legal fund. We stand together or we fall apart.

Thanks,

Steve Raacke,
    La Open Carry Awareness League

Weblinks edited out by vermiform to protect Bayoushooter members. This poster (sraacke) was temp banned in the past for childish behavior and it is my opinion that he or his organization cannot be trusted. I will not subject our community to a possible paypal scam. Open carry is legal in Louisiana and I respect those that do so responsibly. If you are looking for a valid website for Open Carry, I would suggest
    http://www.opencarry.org/.

-Verm

The poster made various pleas in both the original thread and my inbox to have this information taken down. I told him I didn't feel he was being honest and after I confirmed my actions weren't against the rules of this forum, I decided that unless I found a reason to suggest he was honest, it was staying up. He had made statements which I knew to be dishonest and contrary to his history. Some of those statements are below.

I do not want any undue attention brought upon me, i'm not someone who looks for confrontation with police as some have alluded to here.

Any video on youtube has absolutely nothing to do with this. I never said that I even have any videos on youtube so Idont know where people are drawing conclusions from. I've said my wishes and that my words were posted without my permission, i'd just like them removed.

I've never mentioned anything about youtube, never mentioned about posting any videos or watever people are saying. One person says something and then somebody runs with it in 10 different directions. Fact is people already I can see from posts have facts mixed up.

All of these statements are false at best. We will take them in order.

#1. He is someone who looks for confruntation with police, yet he said
    EDIT: I just wanted to say thanks guys who watched this and to my subscribers. I want to explain and say i’m sorry. When i posted this i said that more videos would be coming soon. Well, I was arrested and incarcerated for 4 days for *open carrying* and *filming* the police. The La. state police confiscated my camera as evidence so it has pretty much halted my video posting for the immediate future, probably until my case is settled in court. Thanks subscribers for being patient and understanding
    in his description of his first video involving him open carrying a gun and video taping police(one where he added subtitles in an attempt to twist the words of the officers in a perfectly handled stop). Link HERE. I don't know how someone who isn't seeking confrontation would promise more videos of confrontation. Confusing to say the least.

#2. While this statement isn't directly untrue, I believe the intention to decieve is obvious. He attempts to passively deny these are his youtube videos. Here he is on sraacke's forum taking credit for the youtube video shown above(video now taken down by him). http://laopencarry.freeforums.org/post10936.html

#3. Pretty much the same as #2. Nobody is running in any different directions, it is a video posted by him, acknowledged by him in the above link, and now hidden by him.

A man named Rick Daniel Pennington was arrested 1-25-13, in Ouachita Parish, and placed on a bond of 200$. So, the possibilities are pretty limited. He either was dishonest about his troubles with police and was arrested directly before another arrest(for the same thing again), he lied about the crimes he was charged with and his bond amount(while pandering for money), or someone with the exact same full name and age was arrested in the exact same parish for the same charge(HA!).

Personally, I am going to go with number two. I believe this person, in a weird attempt at internet bravado, posted a bunch of ******** on sraacke's forum, panhandled a bit based on lies, and has realized he may be caught in those lies and decided to ask for the evidence of his crimes to be taken down.

As I told Speedracer, the irony of this shouldn't be lost on anyone. Someone who attempts to bait other people into making bad decisions so he can capture them, disseminate, and capitalize them, now wants his mistakes taken down. I will give him the response people like him give the officers they bait. I am doing nothing illegal, there is no reason for me to need to take it down if you have done nothing wrong. He can ask me to take this down as many times as he wants, but he has no power or authority to make me, I will tell him no like he tells them.

I hope this lesson isn't lost on him or anyone else who decides to try to cost hard working officers their careers. Additionally, I hope this lesson isn't lost on our forums. One side of the story is usually the ******** side, especially when donations start being requested. As such skepticism should be the standard response. Sraacke/Yale's decision to not fact check any of this in a reasonable manner and spread his request for donations to here, the national open carry forums, and other forums was ignorant at best. He put his stamp on this and it turned out to be unvetted and untrue. I think that he is partially at fault for anyone who donated money to this person. A simple google search turned up all of this information and took less than 5 minutes.

Last edited:

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    Good lord! It was a scam from the get go in an attempt to defraud people out of money on the internet??

Hey Redeye,

johnny-cash-1.jpg

Open carry that you toolbag.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    And that is why I edited the orginal post and why Steve Raacke should not be trusted here.

You have a right to open carry. It is also legal to video police officers while performing their duties. Why do both at the same time? Daniel Pennington is doing it to purposely provoke police officers into confrontation. He intends to continue doing so after his legal troubles are settled as evidenced here:

Daniel Pennington said:
    I just wanted to say thanks guys who watched this and to my subscribers. I want to explain and say i’m sorry. When i posted this i said that more videos would be coming soon.

This isn't even a case of being stopped by an officer and then deciding to film the encounter. He is purposely initiating the encounter BY FILMING. This type of behavior sets the Open Carry cause (and gun rights in general) back years. Instead of condemning this type of behavior, the Grand Poobah of LOCAL encourages it. Not only that, but then he spams all the regional firearms forums with some paypal scam for this asshat's legal defense. If I were a member of LOCAL, I would be asking Steve if he as any involvement in this scam and if he or the LOCAL coffers received any money from it. I'm sure it would only be fair for the organization to take a cut, you know....to pay for pamphlets and such.

I'd like to say I'm surprised that LOCAL didn't put this guy through some sort of vetting process before getting into bed with him, but I'm not. This is not the first case of Raacke drumming up support for some dirtbag on our forum. At least this time it isn't for some druggie gun thief. I will say that the sooner we distance ourselves from LOCAL, the better. If at a later date, LOCAL is able to purge itself of its current leadership (and survive), I personally could possibly support them again. It is doubtful that will ever happen though. Steve Raacke IS LOCAL.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Steve Raacke IS LOCAL.

And this is the problem, if he steps down the organization is finished, because very few people care enough to take his place. LOCAL is an organization that doesn't do anything, the are only a group because Steve hands out fliers and says they are. This is just my perception and I could be wrong, but I really don't think I am.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    At the very least Raacke needs to make an apology to the members of this forum since he brought the thief into it.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    And this is the problem, if he steps down the organization is finished, because very few people care enough to take his place. LOCAL is an organization that doesn't do anything, the are only a group because Steve hands out fliers and says they are. This is just my perception and I could be wrong, but I really don't think I am.
    Don't forget eating dinner at Shoney's or IHOP. You must not understand what it takes to influence people.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    On May 18th I will be hosting the meeting of the La Gringo Carbineros. It will be at 0700hrs at the Hammond Waffle House off I-12. All the waffles you can pay for!

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    The more I think about it, I think LOCAL is an excuse for Yale to have some friends, be in charge of something, and eat at the shoneys buffet.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bruce robison
    Top Bottom