Rifle goes BOOM!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tib

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Walker, LA
    The girl, the man standing next to her, and the person behind the camera are all extremely lucky that they weren’t seriously injured by the exploding rifle barrel.

The girl’s second to last shot was a squib round, and she knew something was wrong, as she stopped, lowered the rifle and removed the spent casing that failed to eject.

However, she failed to check to be sure the barrel was clear of an obstruction, which it obviously wasn’t.

When she pulled the trigger on her next round, which turned out to be the gun’s final round, that bullet ran into the back of the previous bullet, causing the barrel to explode from the immense pressure.

Whenever shooting, if something doesn’t seem right, it usually means that something really isn’t right. Proper safety protocol, checks and double checks, and knowing the particular sounds and feel of your firearm are integral to the safe operation of a firearm. Know your weapon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLk5ykGPDsU

I've had something similar happen to me, but fortunately it was a .410 shotgun and the obstruction was only mud in the barrel.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Reminds me of when I had what had to have been a double charged round go off in my glock 27. It shot the mag out, blew my extractor in half, ripped the lip of the casing off, and lodged a piece of brass into the frame. I counted all my fingers twice. Talk about scary.

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    I saw this a while back. I was told by an ex Air Force officer that trained with the M1 that was because she didn't get the bolt closed completely, I don't know exactly what the cause was but if you watch her chamber the last round she gingerly closes the bolt instead of allowing it to slam shut as intended. Just what I've been told.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    At the range I will not tap-rack-bang, unless it's an induced malfunction drill and even then I'm checking more than most.
    If something is wrong I want to stop and know exactly what is going on before proceeding.

Top Bottom