Rifle side match after EAPS June 21st

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smith625

REVOLVER DRIVER
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 12, 2008
    port vincent louisiana
    Gentlemen... you all shall now address me as "Mr. AR". :ninja:

;) :D :D :D

Had a great time shooting with everyone today, as usual. It's wonderful to see so many people shooting their rifles, and taking on the challenge. Some timed out, some didn't - but EVERYONE gave it a go, without whining and complaining. Love to see that. Many thanks to Vsound for putting it on.

JPShootah and Tim drove 2 hours just to come shoot the rifle event. Wonderful to have you guys there - thanks for coming!

HiCapMag, the Ben-meister, Beauxdog and Vsound deserve a round of applause for providing the rifle steel for all of us to shoot and enjoy today. :thumbsup:

Mr who, jeez this guy wins one time............

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    Gentlemen... you all shall now address me as "Mr. AR". :ninja:

;) :D :D :D

Had a great time shooting with everyone today, as usual. It's wonderful to see so many people shooting their rifles, and taking on the challenge. Some timed out, some didn't - but EVERYONE gave it a go, without whining and complaining. Love to see that. Many thanks to Vsound for putting it on.

JPShootah and Tim drove 2 hours just to come shoot the rifle event. Wonderful to have you guys there - thanks for coming!

HiCapMag, the Ben-meister, Beauxdog and Vsound deserve a round of applause for providing the rifle steel for all of us to shoot and enjoy today. :thumbsup:

Get the shottie ready Mr AR!!!!!!

HiCapMag

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Baton Rouge, La
    He does not want you to mention the Shotgun thing....I'll bring that trophy I have had for YEARS to the next one :cool:

By the way fellas, the little green tip bullets are not so good for matches :nono:

vsound

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 25, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    A short follow up: we think someone apparently either had some steel core or armor piercing rounds that got mixed in. One piece of steel ended up with two holes in it. It's possible it was just a fluke occurrence of multiple hits in the same spot, but I just wanted to point out to please take care not to use steel core (green tip) or armor piercing rounds during these competitions.

JPShootah

3 Gunner...
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    That sucks!!! Someone dinged up some of our steel at the side match we put on in Tangi! People PLEASE check your ammo with a magnet if your not sure!!!!

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    It wasn't me! ask anyone who was there, I didn't hit any steel:wtc:

All jokes aside, that sucks, and if we can't figure out a way to stop it, the side matches will stop!! I'm sure of it, this is privately owned steel not the clubs. We need to respect their property. Sorry it happened again

HiCapMag

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Baton Rouge, La
    I am hoping we can use this as an educational event.

I shot a 3 gun at the Shreveport range awhile back and on the LAST stage I am talking to a new shooter while he was loading his mags.....with green tips. I'm like, DUDE!:eek3: He says, what? I say that is AP what are you doing, he says not its not, its just military surplus. We gave him some ammo to save the life of a poor inocent steel.

If it has green tips it is not your friend..... save that for your Zombie defense ammo:zombie:. If your not sure what you have, take a magnet to it to check. We will do this from now on.:doh:

Not intending to hurt anyones feelings here (unless you knew what you had then your an ass) :cool:

Do it for the baby steel.:wtc:

vsound

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 25, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    It weren't I, all soft points for me.

No, but you were shooting some sort of tracers. :) I could see the trace on at least 4 out of 5 shots from yours. They weren't lit up like real tracers, but I could definitely see the path of the bullet. What kinda loads were you shootin?

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    No, but you were shooting some sort of tracers. :) I could see the trace on at least 4 out of 5 shots from yours. They weren't lit up like real tracers, but I could definitely see the path of the bullet. What kinda loads were you shootin?

Midway Dogstown 55gr sp pushed by H335

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    Competition is what match hollowpoints were made for...they are like friendly little guided steel-seeking missiles ;) .

More seriously, many people aren't used to shooting rifle competition with steel because they don't get to do it often around here. It would be worthwhile at the shooter's meeting to take an educational moment and explain the "what to look for and why" of steel-core type ammo, and a mandatory ammo check with a magnet by an R.O. That will catch the problem of someone inadvertently using the wrong type of ammo. It's happening often enough that a little remedial ed may be warranted, considering the cost of targets that are being damaged.

That won't help a poor piece of steel if the shooter is using a collection of leftovers that may have a green-tip or two salted in. But it's a start.

Hammar

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Metairie
    Well, since George and I(Charles) were new at this I'm sure some suspicion might be pointed out way, especially since George was shooting his tacticool surpressed FS2000, but we were both shooting Montana Gold 55g bullets with AA2520 powder so no steel core for us. Besides, I wouldn't waste steel core on a side match with the zombie apocalypse coming and all.:D

vsound

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 25, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    Just to be clear, I'm not trying to point fingers at anyone. I truly have no idea who might have used the steel core. And, I suspect it was only a few rounds mixed in by accident, so it could have been anyone really. I just wanted to point it out so hopefully it can be avoided in the future.

And, I must say, I really appreciated George using the suppressor. :D Much easier on the ears. I don't think it helped his shooting much, but it sounded nice. :p

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bharden68
    Top Bottom