Ripped off at Academy?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    I think I got taken advantage of. I went to Academy in Covington this morning looking for .22 ammo. I knew it was a long shot but I headed back to the gun counter where they now keep the holy grail that is the .22lr.

Gun guy behind the counter: "Hi, can I help you?"
    Me: "You sure can. do you by any chance have some .22 ammo?"
    Guy: "I have just a few boxes. Nothing in bulk, just 50 round boxes."
    Me: "What's the limit?"
    Guy: "Two per customer."
    Me: "I'll take it."

Now here's the strange part. Before this guy would give me the two small boxes of ammunition, he asked me to fill out this paperwork. Something called a Form 4473. "Weird", I thought. But whatever. Must be something new to keep people from buying up all the cheap .22 ammo and then listing it for sale online at a 3,000% markup.

Then the guy walks me up to the checkout counter to pay for it. Again, something new to me. But I go with the flow. $224.44 later I leave Academy with two boxes of .22 ammo.

I think the guy behind the counter felt so bad that they were charging so much for ammo that should literally be pennies per round, that he threw in a free Ruger 10/22 rifle with my purchase.

I'm still feel a little taken advantage of though. I think from now on I will have second thoughts about shopping at Academy.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    what is the point you're trying to make?

No point I suppose. Just trying to give you guys a laugh.

But I guess I could make two points.

1. They haven't jacked up their prices like other retailers. The Ruger 10/22 Carbine was $199.99 18 months ago and is still $199.99.
    2. They are holding back some ammo for gun purchasers instead of putting it all out on the shelves.

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    Academy here in lafayette.... asked for .22lr ammo or .22wmr. No sir none. Two off the clock employees slap fives after him with gun counter clerk. They ask about shift and whatnot. A few minutes later as I'm looking at the lever action rifles, one of the off the duty guys asks "Joe" the same question I did, and low and behold, Joe pulls some out from under the fishing reel counter and as his eyes contact mine, embarassment flushes over his face. I still didn't get any .22 ammo from them that day. Completely disgusted.

Last edited:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Academy here in lafayette.... asked for .22lr ammo or .22wmr. No sir none. Two off the clock employees slap fives after him with gun counter clerk. They ask about shift and whatnot. A few minutes later as I'm looking at the lever action rifles, one of the off the duty guys asks "Joe" the same question I did, and low and behold, Joe pulls some out from under the fishing reel counter and as his eyes contact mine, embarassment flushes over his face. I still didn't get any .22 ammo from them that day. Completely disgusted.

Happening at Wal-Mart too. :mad:

Cajun Camper

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2012
    Lafayette, La.

Those little twerps did the same thing when AR Mags were getting hard to get. Employees were buying them & reselling for big profit. That is fine but they should have a limit as to what they buy just like customers do.

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    nolaradio
    Ripped off at Academy?

I think I got taken advantage of. I went to Academy in Covington this morning looking for .22 ammo. I knew it was a long shot but I headed back to the gun counter where they now keep the holy grail that is the .22lr.

Gun guy behind the counter: "Hi, can I help you?"
    Me: "You sure can. do you by any chance have some .22 ammo?"
    Guy: "I have just a few boxes. Nothing in bulk, just 50 round boxes."
    Me: "What's the limit?"
    Guy: "Two per customer."
    Me: "I'll take it."

Now here's the strange part. Before this guy would give me the two small boxes of ammunition, he asked me to fill out this paperwork. Something called a Form 4473. "Weird", I thought. But whatever. Must be something new to keep people from buying up all the cheap .22 ammo and then listing it for sale online at a 3,000% markup.

Then the guy walks me up to the checkout counter to pay for it. Again, something new to me. But I go with the flow. $224.44 later I leave Academy with two boxes of .22 ammo.

I think the guy behind the counter felt so bad that they were charging so much for ammo that should literally be pennies per round, that he threw in a free Ruger 10/22 rifle with my purchase.

I'm still feel a little taken advantage of though. I think from now on I will have second thoughts about shopping at Academy.
    ====================

$224.44 later I leave Academy with two boxes of .22 ammo.

Well...if you paid 112.00 for a box of 50 rounds of .22 ammo...then yes...I think you were screwed.

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Ruger 10/22 is a lot of fun!!!
    I have the SR-22 which is an extremely overpriced 10/22 with wolves clothing on......

One tip I have for you - don't waste your money on any aftermarket magazines - stick with the Ruger BX10, BX25 or BX25x2. I've tried the Butler Creek, and the ProMags. Lots of jams and feed problems. No problems whatsoever with the Ruger BX's.

Mine loves Thunderbolts but some dude named Skiney bought em all up!!!

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    Ruger 10/22 is a lot of fun!!!
    I have the SR-22 which is an extremely overpriced 10/22 with wolves clothing on......

One tip I have for you - don't waste your money on any aftermarket magazines - stick with the Ruger BX10, BX25 or BX25x2. I've tried the Butler Creek, and the ProMags. Lots of jams and feed problems. No problems whatsoever with the Ruger BX's.

Mine loves Thunderbolts but some dude named Skiney bought em all up!!!

I already own another 10/22 and learned that the aftermarket magazines suck. I tried two different brands that Academy sold and brought them both back. Luckily I had plenty of the Ruger made magazines. I have quite a few of the 10 and 25 round mags and two of the 50 round mags. The only issue I've had was keeping them all loaded for my son the last time we went to the range.

This second 10/22 is going to be the Appleseed experiment. If all goes well with the conversions, I might convert the other one as well.

Top Bottom