Roast Beef Poboy in Baton Rouge - Where should I go?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pacioli

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Ok guys, help me with lunch plans. I'm relatively new to BR and want a really good roast beef poboy. I've had Rocco's, Pocorello's and The Chimes. Give me some suggestions please. A place with a beer license gets extra points.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    No suggestions?

Being a native New Orleanian for 40+ years, and living up here for the last 9; Rocco's is as close to New Orleans style as it gets. Now, the other day I did try the Roast Beef at Tommy's Fish House and it wasn't too shabby either.

Both Rocco and Tommy are originally from N.O./Chalmette.

The secret is the gravy and using real French Bread out of New Orleans.

I wish these Baton Rouge restaruants would stop using the exaggerated hot dog buns for Po-Boy bread. Jeez! :doh:

Last edited:

billy308

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2011
    I am from NOLA also and now live in Baton Rouge . What chaps my ass is I will ask "Is it real french bread Like N.O. ?"and they will say it is . But it aint!

Mojo Rider

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Denham Springs
    Pastime Bar and all around great lunch place. Many times voted the best roast beef poboy in town. There are two locations: the original downtown by the Mississippi River Bridge and a new location on Drusilla. Definitely make the trip downtown it has more character and the food is better. If you're new to town there's no better place to meet folks and learn about BR than Pastime. It's a veritable "Who's Who of Baton Rouge" there everyday. Now I'm starving...think I might head that way now. Here's some good info...

http://www.thecajunfoodie.com/baton-rouge-restaurant/the-roast-beef-poboy-smear-at-pastime-in-baton-rouge/

Mojo Rider

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Denham Springs
    Po-Boy Express? Uh......no....not in Baton Rouge. Owned and staffed by terrorists wanna be's. As the 9/11 attacks were happening the owners and employees of that place were dancing around and cheering...especially when the towers collapsed. They didn't realize customers were filming them. It made the news.

alex

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Jun 20, 2007
    Frisco, TX & Frequently in BR
    Po-Boy Express? Uh......no....not in Baton Rouge. Owned and staffed by terrorists wanna be's. As the 9/11 attacks were happening the owners and employees of that place were dancing around and cheering...especially when the towers collapsed. They didn't realize customers were filming them. It made the news.

That was completely fabricated 100%. Perhaps before you go damaging a good business' reputation you should do a little fact checking other than believing a forwarded email from your racist buddies. The news story that was released was to DISPELL the false claims you're retelling.

Edit: and to stay on topic, I don't recommend the roast beef from Dempsey's. Their food is good overall but their roast beef was dry.

Last edited:

Mojo Rider

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Denham Springs
    That was completely fabricated 100%. Perhaps before you go damaging a good business' reputation you should do a little fact checking other than believing a forwarded email from your racist buddies. The news story that was released was to DISPELL the false claims you're retelling.

Edit: and to stay on topic, I don't recommend the roast beef from Dempsey's. Their food is good overall but their roast beef was dry.

No it wasn't fabricated. Po-boy express hired attorneys to do damage control and they claimed the story was exagerated and their actions were misunderstood by the customers. Before you acuse me of spreading false rumors you should find out where I obtained my information. One of the many customers to testify as to the actions of Po-boy express employees were close family friends, neighbors, who are elders of our church and also Boy Scout Troop leaders. They're very compassionate and conservative people and certainly wouldn't have anything to gain by fabricating a damaging story. There were quite a few people dining there that day and all had similar accounts of what happened. If you lived in BR at the time the local news aired the video taken by one of the customers. and BTW I've never recieved an email relating to this story and don't think I have any racist buddies..least i hope not.

Mojo Rider

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Denham Springs
    That may be true, but the place is a dump, in a dumpy part of town. And the "roast beef" was obviously processed pieces/parts. I'd go to Arby's before I went back there.

11-12 years ago the sandwiches were quite good and large and cheap. It was one of the places that still served a 14 inch po-boy. We went to the one on Florida Blvd all the time that is until the aforementioned incident.

alex

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Jun 20, 2007
    It is 100% fabricated. Your reliable friends are wrong.

There remains to be any witness nor any video of it. I used to eat there up to three times a week during that period and also had to set the truth straight to many people at the time. It was a rumor that was completely influenced by racial hate. Trust me, I'm not one to throw that accusation around. I also vividly remember that time period and spoke many times both before and after with the owner.

Last edited:

Pacioli

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Ended up at Pocorello's, glad we went, they're closing on Saturdays until September. And it's not just anywhere you can get a cold Peroni to go with it. Their bread is good too.

Maxwell's eh? I'll remember that, their Highland location is walking distance from my office.

And Pastime, should have thought of that myself. I'm already a big fan of their pizzas and the munion burger should be a controlled substance! Adding it to my checklist.

As to Brewbachers, every time I go in one of their locations I get tunnel vision on the bacon cheeseburger. I'll have to try to force myself to read the rest of the menu.

Thanks guys.

Mojo Rider

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Denham Springs
    It is 100% fabricated. Your reliable friends are wrong.

There remains to be any witness nor any video of it. I used to eat there up to three times a week during that period and also had to set the truth straight to many people at the time. It was a rumor that was completely influenced by racial hate. Trust me, I'm not one to throw that accusation around. I also vividly remember that time period and spoke many times both before and after with the owner.

Ok...now you're accusing a lovely elderly couple of lying along with all the others that were there. Not going to get into a pissing contest with someone like you over a po-boy shop. At the time tensions were high in BR and if you remember our local government, local LE and the DA's office worked along with the media to calm the communities fears by interviewing local businesses owned by middle easterners including the owner of Po-Boy express. In the follow up interviews he distanced himself and his business from those employees and implied that they had been fired and then proclaimed his everlasting allegiance to the good ol USA thus validating the claims of the witnessess. The fact is that they WERE dancing around doing the LaLaLaLaLaLaLaLa song and dance and high fiving each other. Not trying to open old wounds but any newcomer to BR has a right to know the history before dining there. That being said I'm glad to hear from LSP972 that it's not worth the trip....so we can now put this issue behind us.

Mojo Rider

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Denham Springs
    All that means my standards are still a bit lower than my wife would like...and PoBoy Express on Florida Boulevard is a dump, pure and simple. IOW, if _I_ think its a dump, it should probably be condemned... :D

LOL Don't be so hard on yourself......but yeah.. it's become one over the years. We can thank section 8 housing for that. Great avitar by the way..Walter is my fav Jeff Dunham character.

alex

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Jun 20, 2007
    Ok...now you're accusing a lovely elderly couple of lying along with all the others that were there. Not going to get into a pissing contest with someone like you over a po-boy shop. At the time tensions were high in BR and if you remember our local government, local LE and the DA's office worked along with the media to calm the communities fears by interviewing local businesses owned by middle easterners including the owner of Po-Boy express. In the follow up interviews he distanced himself and his business from those employees and implied that they had been fired and then proclaimed his everlasting allegiance to the good ol USA thus validating the claims of the witnessess. The fact is that they WERE dancing around doing the LaLaLaLaLaLaLaLa song and dance and high fiving each other. Not trying to open old wounds but any newcomer to BR has a right to know the history before dining there. That being said I'm glad to hear from LSP972 that it's not worth the trip....so we can now put this issue behind us.

I know of MANY elderly folks that are extremely wrong on their comments and especially their recollection. Depending on your DOB, I may now know another. ;)

I will not dispute their quality of food or service (or even cleanliness) as that is a matter of opinion. Hell, I don't like a lot of their items either.

You are, however, 100% wrong on your claims during 9/11. They did not "dance around" or "lalalala" or did anything other than run a business that some racist ******* tried to kibosh by starting a very well-written email that circulated with gusto. The fact that they are still in business is further proof that they didn't do such a thing (especially since they're not the best poboy place).

Top Bottom