Rock Island Armory, 1911 .45s??

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BenCarp27

I feel like an old man...
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    New Orleans Area, Southshore
    I've been wanting to buy a 1911 styled .45 for a while now, but, for the most part, they don't exactly fit in my budget. However, after doing some research online, I found the Rock Island Armory. They manufacture a 1911a1 along with some variants. Everything I've read on them so far makes them seem like a pretty fair deal. They range from $300 to $400 depending on who you talk to, but $350 seems to be the happy median. All the threads and reviews I've read on it so far call it your basic GI issue .45 pistol. It's manufactured the way our grandfathers' and fathers' were. Low brow sights. No fancy designs or grooves. The machining isn't as tight as the new technology frames out there are. It seems like a pretty fair deal. A budget friendly .45 manufactured the old way. Has anybody heard of, purchased or fired one before? I'd really like some opinions I trust before sinking a paycheck into one.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    I don't own one personally, but there has been quite a bit of positive discussion here about them. Do a search here for RIA and Rock Island. I think there are even a couple sponsors that carry them at reasonable prices.

Good luck and welcome to the board. Careful with those 1911's... it's kind of an addiction. ;)

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    They are good to go for what they were design, a budget 1911, I had one long time ago when they were stamped as Armscorp and she was a great shooter, keep in mind the beauty of a 1911 is that it can be customized to fit the operator and there are lots of parts available in the market for it.

She will not have all the bells and whistles and she will not shoot the groups that NighHawk Customs and Les Baer's do but she will be reliable and will get you started in an adiction that has NO STOP.

You can pm TDH over here on the forum and he can get you setup with one in no time.

cguedr

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    Jefferson
    I have one, basic GI model, and I'm very happy with it. The tolerances are actually pretty tight, there's no rattle. Sights obviously aren't the greatest since they are the GI type, but work good enough as I'm not competitive shooter. I haven't had any malfunctions either. I think you'd be happy with it.

bullpup

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Good gun

Great guns. I have a citadel which is the same thing. Probably 1500 rounds through it with no issues. Also, mine came with great
    mags which are important for a 1911 to function properly. If you want any specifics just let me know.

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I had an Armscor Wide Body 1911. They are the parent company for Rock Island. It never gave me any problems, was tight and shot well for the limited time I kept it. Sold it becasue I had several Para .45's. The wide body take the Para mags. These are the same folks making the frame for the STI Spartan pistol. A lot of folks have been very pleased with them.

Good Luck and Happy Shootin,

Beauxdog

outlaw

k98
    Rating - 91.2%
    52   5   0
    Jan 6, 2009
    walker louisiana
    document
    i have 2 ria 1911 one is commander the other is a double stack 5in i love both of them there great guns for the money the comander ive done a lot of work to but thats why i bought it to try to build a custom commander gave 365 new for it and have probly pent that much more into it and its not done yet. 1911s are very addictive
    document
    document

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    i have 2 ria 1911 one is commander the other is a double stack 5in i love both of them there great guns for the money the comander ive done a lot of work to but thats why i bought it to try to build a custom commander gave 365 new for it and have probly pent that much more into it and its not done yet. 1911s are very addictive.

I know a lot of people here may disagree and think it's not nearly as much fun as buying little things here and there, but IMO for the same amount of money, I would probably just wait and get the Spartan, THEN start adding things.

Of course, there's really no end to that suggestion; you could always wait a little longer and get the Trojan, or wait a little longer and get the... ;)

BenCarp27

I feel like an old man...
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    New Orleans Area, Southshore
    I appreciate all the opinions. So far, this club has lived up to everything my friends have said as far as the openess and helpfulness of the members. It's nice to finally have a site where you can get real world answers and opinion without the wannabes and mall ninjas chiming in with useless things like, " why go forty five? I bagged seven thousand bears with my beretta 92f last year in alaska as part of a top secret mission by the government to stop covert overpopulation caused by fluoride in the rain water". Anyways, thanks for the input, hopefully going to pick one up at the end of the month.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom