Roof Hail Damage and do I need a Public Adjuster

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    I stopped giving my auto insurance business to companies that wanted nothing to do with my homeowners insurance

Xeon64

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA
    LOL... Just had a roofing contractor come to my house that I did not call. They are driving around asking people if they had hail so they can replace the roof. This company was Better Built of LA.

There site does not even work.

I smell shyster!!!

Last edited:

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Dahua CVI
    This is one of my older cams that is a 2mp. I have others up to 6mp and color night vision as well.
    It’s good quality over analog cable. I did not want to pull cat 5 everywhere to run IP cams.
    However, IP cams do have better image quality

Depends on the IP cameras and the analog cameras. Generally speaking it doesn’t matter what the cable is, unless you’re looking for super high performance, beyond what pretty much anyone needs in residential applications.

davidd

Expert in the field of wife avoidance
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I know State Farm is not the cheapest around, but I'll throw in my 2 cents as to why I am still with them.

Gustav in 2008 was brutal in BTR. I had 5 trees down, two of which were on ~15% of my house, and two others through ~30% of my detached workshop's roof. I had (have) replacement cost coverage. The adjuster literally said it would not be possible to repair the 20 year old roof due to shingle age issues, and because I had replacement coverage, they would foot the cost to replace the entire roof. I only paid the difference between 3 tab and architectural type shingles. They covered removal of all trees, the roof, structural repairs on the house and workshop, a fence that blew over, and food loss from the power outage.

It was a royal pain in the ass to clean up, but financially, we did ok. Didn't have to fight with them at all.

Xeon64

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA
    I use to have State Farm. Had to change. Rates were too high. I saved almost $3700 switching to Liberty mutual per year for home and auto for the same coverage.

I know State Farm is not the cheapest around, but I'll throw in my 2 cents as to why I am still with them.

Gustav in 2008 was brutal in BTR. I had 5 trees down, two of which were on ~15% of my house, and two others through ~30% of my detached workshop's roof. I had (have) replacement cost coverage. The adjuster literally said it would not be possible to repair the 20 year old roof due to shingle age issues, and because I had replacement coverage, they would foot the cost to replace the entire roof. I only paid the difference between 3 tab and architectural type shingles. They covered removal of all trees, the roof, structural repairs on the house and workshop, a fence that blew over, and food loss from the power outage.

It was a royal pain in the ass to clean up, but financially, we did ok. Didn't have to fight with them at all.

davidd

Expert in the field of wife avoidance
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I use to have State Farm. Had to change. Rates were too high. I saved almost $3700 switching to Liberty mutual per year for home and auto for the same coverage.

I have a couple of friends who did that too. In the third year, their rates increased substantially. Not to what they were, but to the point where the service State Farms gives made the overall situation comparable. I'm also concerned with companies pulling out of HO coverage in LA and leaving me in a lurch. I *think* that risk is less with State Farm.

JimmyJames

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2021
    Lafayette, LA
    I have a couple of friends who did that too. In the third year, their rates increased substantially. Not to what they were, but to the point where the service State Farms gives made the overall situation comparable. I'm also concerned with companies pulling out of HO coverage in LA and leaving me in a lurch. I *think* that risk is less with State Farm.
    State Farm has something like 26% of market share for residential policies. At one point they were almost twice that, and there are a number of tactics that were used to pressure insureds into switching insurance. They still currently have too much and are certainly still doing this to an extent.

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    I have had State Farm on my cars and home for 40 years, yes they are more expensive but they have always treated me fairly and quickly. I had roof, fence and other damage from katrina they estimated at $12,000, repairs and replacement cost $7000. In the end I ended up with a new fence, roof and about $5000 in my pocket

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Mickey... complicated question... each claim has a separate deductible. Some policies have a limited time frame to report a claim also. Also, have you changed insurance companies since the damage happened? If so, does the cost of repair belong to your current company or was it pre-existing?

Rates... you can put 4 different companies declarations pages side by side and they look alike. You have to either trust your company OR read the policy booklet (which is difficult!). Reading the booklet is the only way to differentiate coverages. What's covered? What's excluded? Do they cover water damage from a broken pipe in the wall? what if that pipe is a sewage line under the slab? How much and for how long do they pay for additional living expenses after a claim?

I tell clients all the time... you're standing on the corner watching the house burn... do you really care what your premium was or that you saved $500??? It's suddenly all about coverage...

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    192   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    Mickey... complicated question... each claim has a separate deductible. Some policies have a limited time frame to report a claim also. Also, have you changed insurance companies since the damage happened? If so, does the cost of repair belong to your current company or was it pre-existing?

Rates... you can put 4 different companies declarations pages side by side and they look alike. You have to either trust your company OR read the policy booklet (which is difficult!). Reading the booklet is the only way to differentiate coverages. What's covered? What's excluded? Do they cover water damage from a broken pipe in the wall? what if that pipe is a sewage line under the slab? How much and for how long do they pay for additional living expenses after a claim?

I tell clients all the time... you're standing on the corner watching the house burn... do you really care what your premium was or that you saved $500??? It's suddenly all about coverage...

I’ve been with my current insurance company since the purchase of the home (probably a little over 8 years now). We bundle homeowners with the vehicles and the boat with the same company. So, any damage that occurred should be under this provider.

Your last statement was very well put. Lol. It speaks volumes.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom