Rossi 92

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    Just got a Rossi 92 in .38Spl/.357Mag. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but cycled some .38s and had a lot of failures to eject. Has anybody had any experiences like this? It looks like the bullet of the cartridge on the lifter is hitting the one being extracted and knocking it loose from the extractor before it gets to the ejector. I'm hoping that it's just an OAL issue and that using .357s will clear this up.

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    Were the rounds you used factory loads?

THIS

I've had the same rifle for about a month now and had similar problems with reloads, got tired of fooling with it and bought a box of blazer aluminum cased 357 just to try, and no problem. I've got to work on my reloading skills for this particular rifle.
    I like it so much I bought a 44 mag also, should be here tomorrow.

Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    Winchester 130gr FMJ factory loads.

Danny, based on your experience, it looks like I was right to suspect OAL as the culprit and I'll be trying some /357s soon.

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    Most things i've read say that you should load 38s long, or best to download 357s to 38 performance, also use round/flat point bullets, not semi wadcutters

Alpo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Redneck Riviera
    Depends on the gun. Some are picky and some will eat anything. Mine would feed anything I fed it - 38 or 357 - with the exception of some 3D-brand loads. They were semi wadcutter, but they had an extremely long nose. My 38 loads, using 158 Keith-style SWCs, worked great.

I mostly use 38s in mine.

If it don't work as well as you'd like it to, and you've got an extra hunnert and fifty bucks, you can send it to Steve Young, over in Port Arthur, Texas. He'll make it work like it's s'posed to.

http://www.stevesgunz.com/

tactical723

3 Gun / F Class Player
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    Northshore - Covington, LA
    I shot this rifle for years in cowboy action matches, they are very particular with OAL, I used reloads with no problem, I used 158 gr, round nose, it is almost the absolute longest projectile you can load in the .38 spl, I dont remember the exact OAL, you can contact, Steve at ROssi by Steve in Port Arthur , TX, he does all the warranty and action work for ROssi, PUma, and all the down south rifles, his website is http://store.stevesgunz.com/

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    And he currently has a 6 month waiting list!!!!!!!!!!

Steve will let you pay some.....and gives you a date. When your date comes up you send him your rifle and he has it done in a short time and on its way back to you. He also sells a video if you are handy with a grinder. It really helps.

I have prob. 6 of the 92s. Stock some would feed 38s better and some would feed .357s better. My 45 Colts would feed perfect all the time.

Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    I checked the website and I believe if changing to Magnums clears up the problem, I'll go ahead and order the Action Job Kit. I'm looking to get back into CAS after about 10 years out of action.

Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    The carbine is going back to Rossi. Trying the magnums didn't help at all. If anything, it's worse-fails to feed, fails to extract, and fails to eject.

Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    I just got off the phone with Rossi and they've issued a call tag and will have FedEx pick up the gun. After they make it like it should have been when it left the factory, I'll take it to Vince to make it "race ready"

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    Well, I talked to Vince today and he said that after the show aired the other night, the phone hasn't quit ringing and with the show production it will be more than 6 months before he could work on a Rossi; He did recomend a couple of other gunsmiths familiar with the lever actions, i'm going to try them

Top Bottom