Rubber cement in checkering HELP

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdk426

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Livingston
    So I have a gun and wondering if anyone can lead me in the right direction. After a few hours and raw fingers I'm clueless lol.

I have a rifle with walnut stock. It has rubber cement in the checkering from a sleeve the previous owner had on it. I've used some fingers, blow dryer and a soft bristle tooth brush. Which has SLOWLY removed some of it. But is there anything I can use that can speed this process up without hurting the wood?

If not I might have it cleaned by Christmas lol

Thanks, Jerry

jdk426

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Livingston
    Sorry on my phone and posted in the wrong section. Can this pleased be moved to cleaning and maintenance section?

Thanks, Jerry

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    try a dental pick or an ice pick, but be very meticulous with it. use a magnifying glass and light if needed. i hope that rubber cement was an accident.

11Bravo

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    I'm no chemist, so I haven't the slightest clue. Lol. It's a liquid I've used to remove glue and other various adhesives from many things. Can't say that I've tried it on rubber cement but its worth a shot.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    I read some where petroleum jelly will remove it. Can't see where it will hurt anything and I'm sure you/wife have some in the medicine cabinet. I hope this helps.

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    Goo B Gone is Naptha. Basically, lighter fluid.

It would certainly remove the cement, but it COULD remove the finish on the stock as well.

If you use it, try it on an inconspicious area first.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    have you tried tape? sometimes the adhesive on duct tape is strong enough to remove stuff like that if you press it down with you fingers and pop it straight off. if it really is rubber cement, you can try dripping some onto something and letting it dry. then rub it into a ball and press the ball into the glue in the checkering. chances are it will stick as you roll it around and come out. good luck.

jdk426

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Livingston
    Update:

Bought some goo-gone. This stuff really works.

My next question is. What is the best thing to use to get the matter from in between the checkering. I've been using a toothpick and it works. But when I clean it and let it dry obviously it's not getting all in the areas I ran it and pulled the gummy stuff out.

Anymore suggestions?

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    maybe a stiff nylon brush? not so stiff that it damages the finish but stiff enough to have a little bite to it.

that, or even a brass brush. that's what I used to finish nails holes that were filled on my dad's cedar siding. you can get hard-bristled (tooth)brushes for next to nothing at the Dollar Store. just pay attention to the bristle stiffness labeled on each package.

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I'd fight fire with fire. Dried and balled up rubber cement should stick to it. I would try to press some dried rubber cement into and see if that will pull it out. I often due that trick with other adhesives.

jdk426

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Livingston
    Good suggestions and thanks. I will keep y'all posted. It's coming out very little with goo gone, and toothpick but I think I may have scratched the areas between the fine checkering because some spots seem lighter colored than original wood stock. Any suggestions on light touch up? Lol

Top Bottom