rucking!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ericlosh

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    Slidell LA
    went rucking with a buddy for the first time last saturday as hes training up for SF selection. This has prompted me to want 2 things, a ruck. And a way to track distance and time per mile. He used an app, but i have a dumb phone, it was real neat because we had a goal pace and the app would announce distance then give an active minutes per mile pace.

we went 5 miles with 55lb rucks for 1 hour and about 10 minutes. For some crazy reason i had fun

any way im looking into what may be a good ruck for the money and a device that will allow me to do what his app did. at worst i could get an itouch, but thats alot for just the app.

i know how this can be hard on the knees, i have strong knees and back and only do this so far once a week so i should be okay, i learned socks are required wear.

thanks for tips and tricks

Mayonnaise

Not in the fridge
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Goruck GR1. I have owned more bags than I care to count. This one is hands down, without a doubt, the best of the best.

Sign up for a goruck challenge. They run about 18-20 miles and lasts 8-12 hours depending on the city. It's fun. Especially if you bring beer.

www.Goruck.com

ericlosh

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    Slidell LA
    the gr1 is a bit pricey......im still a college student!

also i had no idea rucking was poplar enough to have funrucks like warrior dash. way cool.

Last edited:

blackwater26504

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    i would say check out ebay dude there's a bunch of surplus rucks in new condition at cheap prices.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Ask your buddy how much fun it is when he gets back from SFAS. If I never see an ALICE Pack again it will be too soon.

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    Ask your buddy how much fun it is when he gets back from SFAS. If I never see an ALICE Pack again it will be too soon.

6260m2_ts.jpg

:curse:

I know what you mean though. It's all fun and games when you can go at your own pace and look at the sights.

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    the new one they fielded us post-alice rucks feels like a got damned cadillac. Ruck-running is 10X easier, the weight is distributed up and on your shoulders instead of down and around. Ca c'est bon, Neg.

ericlosh

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    Slidell LA
    yeah it has just enough molle to expand the pack. i also like that they host events, i got buddies into all the warrior dash and zombie run type stuff so ima try to rope em in.

it reviews as being a far better pack than the alice pack VG speaks so fondly of. :D

also i try to set a difficult pace and i've lived hear for the last 20 years or so, no a whole lot of sights so im doing it as part of a work out. looking at the nike gps watch that tracks as i go.

Mayonnaise

Not in the fridge
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    We did a few tough murders GORUCK style. Once with 6 bricks and another time with rucks full of Budweiser and whiskey while wearing wedding dresses. Anyone can run a race in their fancy under armor costume.

Mayonnaise

Not in the fridge
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    There are some GORUCK events coming up in New Orleans and Baton Rouge. You should have plenty of time to prepare. I am going to try and make at least one of them, if not both.

speedster

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I'm hoping to participate in either the BR or Nola one in June. Do yall know if you need an actual "rucksack" or would an older backpack that's semi durable and I'm not afraid to toss after it's over suffice? I have 4 or 5 decent sized backpacks I don't need anymore...

Mayonnaise

Not in the fridge
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I'm hoping to participate in either the BR or Nola one in June. Do yall know if you need an actual "rucksack" or would an older backpack that's semi durable and I'm not afraid to toss after it's over suffice? I have 4 or 5 decent sized backpacks I don't need anymore...

I can tell you right now that a simple backpack will fall apart and you will be hauling around an armful of bricks for next 10-12 hours. I wouldn't even attempt it with anything less than a GR1. Not to mention it being a nightmare to carry when your loaded down. 6 bricks is going to come in at over 30lbs plus 3L of water and whatever else you want/need. You're looking at over 40lbs. Don't even attempt to get those bricks with the holes in them. You will get smoked.

ericlosh

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    Slidell LA
    i saw the goruck events, i have no guarantees ima try to make at least one, but i plan on doing a ruck a week for "fun" its always better with a friend so im just seeing if theres interest in my neck of the woods

speedster

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    i saw the goruck events, i have no guarantees ima try to make at least one, but i plan on doing a ruck a week for "fun" its always better with a friend so im just seeing if theres interest in my neck of the woods

If I'm free I'd be down to go with yall. Just give a shout or post up when yall are thinking of going.

Top Bottom