Ruger LCR .22

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Armnhammer

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Walker/Denham
    Trigger sucks. Like 13lb suck. And it's hard to get shell casings out after you shoot. My sister has one and has to hit it on something to extract casings. Gun shoots low left too.

MOΛΩN ΛABE

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    The recoil of the .38 is not excessive, and it is an effective round. I carry the LCR when I'm dressed to make a g-19 hard to conceal. the gun is acceptable in all aspects in my opinion, and I find the trigger pull of this model to be fairly light and smooth compared to other compact DA revolvers I've shot. I would feel light years better defending myself with a .38 rather than .22lr or .22 mag

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    The recoil of the .38 is not excessive, and it is an effective round. I carry the LCR when I'm dressed to make a g-19 hard to conceal. the gun is acceptable in all aspects in my opinion, and I find the trigger pull of this model to be fairly light and smooth compared to other compact DA revolvers I've shot. I would feel light years better defending myself with a .38 rather than .22lr or .22 mag

Why not one of the newer sub compact 9mm pistols?

Gunfighter

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 13, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Arthritis makes it hard to rack the slide. I had the trigger worked on on her .38 and am working up some reloads that are not as punishing for her to shoot. The .22 was just a thought. It would be better than nothing especially if you shoot the perp several times in the face. I think we'll stick with the .38 which she shoots well and the lower power reloads.
    thanks for the advice.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Why not one of the newer sub compact 9mm pistols?
    I owned a STI ls-9 that had functioning issues for me. it turned me off to smaller semi-auto pistols (and STI). I'm sure there are many good ones out there, but I don't have the money or time to buy guns, make sure they work, find out they don't, start over again. I liked the feel of the LCR, knew it would function, and haven't been disappointed.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I owned a STI ls-9 that had functioning issues for me. it turned me off to smaller semi-auto pistols (and STI). I'm sure there are many good ones out there, but I don't have the money or time to buy guns, make sure they work, find out they don't, start over again. I liked the feel of the LCR, knew it would function, and haven't been disappointed.

I have never owned a 9mm sub compact that malfunctioned. I have never owned a 1911 sub compact. I prefer defensive pistols to safe queens.

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    What I don't like about the LCR 22 (lr or wmr models), for the cost, is the limited 6-round capacity. I love my Rugers, but I personally lean towards the Taurus 94/941 in a .22 revolver. The new Ultra Light series offers a 9-shot .22lr (94UL) or an 8-shot .22wmr (941UL) for cheaper than the LCR. I prefer the wmr, but lr is cheaper on the range... if they'd just make one with interchangeable cylinders, damnit!

I agree it's better than a pointy stick, but 9 mini-mags or 8 maxi-mags to the face could definitely stop an attack IMHO.

King of D Open
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Vieux Carre
    Arthritis makes it hard to rack the slide. I had the trigger worked on on her .38 and am working up some reloads that are not as punishing for her to shoot. The .22 was just a thought. It would be better than nothing especially if you shoot the perp several times in the face. I think we'll stick with the .38 which she shoots well and the lower power reloads.
    thanks for the advice.

Exactly the same situation with my wife. After attending a weekend at Babes with Bullets, she's comfortable with her .38 which is an S&W 442 Moon Clip with an APEX Trigger Kit and polishing which yields about a 6# smooth trigger. Also has a Hogue grip which allows her whole hand to grip the gun and provides some cushioning. She shoots an M&P 22 for most of her range practice but finishes each practice session with the .38.

Daniel at PlateTacular did a great job of making it attractive for her.

She also practices with my M&P's since she can release from slide lock, even with the arthritis and lack of hand strength.

I'l love it if someone would make a short barreled .17 HMR

Last edited:

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    Gunfighter,
    Have her try 148 gr. hollow based target wadcutter loads. These are the softest recoiling loads around and may be just the answer. A 38 is better than a 22 but a 22 is better than nothing. Although hard to find a 22 magnum , to quote Bill Jordan, " kills all out of proportion to it's size " . Good luck finding a solution.
    Gary

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    I bought my wife the Lcr .357 and we both like it. The trigger is smooth and not to heavy compared to other small revolversdao the .22 is probably a good training tool. If she should change her mind please let me know. QUOTE=Armnhammer;1258025]I tried to talk her into selling it and upgrading to the .38. She wants to keep it Bc it was a gift from her fiancé and she would never hear the end of it.

MOΛΩN ΛABE[/QUOTE]

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    I have never owned a 9mm sub compact that malfunctioned. I have never owned a 1911 sub compact. I prefer defensive pistols to safe queens.

The STI is not my safe queen, I bought it as a defensive pistol believing advise from others that STI would not put out a bad product and would stand by their product. I did really like the feel of the gun as a sub-compact, and wished to use it as a carry gun. While it did not preform well for me, STI claimed it worked fine 3 times. It found another home, and I found a LCR and have been very happy with it. Between that and a glock 19, I can be sure to have a defensive pistol everywhere I go.

sixgundunn

Wheelgunner
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    New Orleans
    Beretta Bobcat 32

I know it's a bit out if the realm of the parameters of this discussion, but the Beretta Bobcat is a crack barrel 32 which allows you to load one in the chamber without racking the slide. Loaded with the proper defensive loads such as 32 caliber Winchester Silvertips, make it formidable with proper shot placement. Look at the LW Seecamp site for an in depth article about 32 caliber ballistics. Also, I think Beretta may make a 380 model like the Cougar.

Top Bottom