Ruger MKIII Disassembly

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    Well, I have been meaning to pull apart my new pistol that santa got me, but it is a complete pain in the ass.

I take it by the gun shop where I bought it, and the guy says this -

"It's a Ruger! The .22 is a low pressure round and does not create alot of residue. Shoot about 20,000 (!!) rounds through it, and then maybe clean it if it starts jamming up really badly"

Now personally, I clean my 10/22 every 500 rounds, and every time I clean it, I get a bucket load of crap out of the receiver. I absolutely refuse to shoot my gun 20,000 damn rounds without cleaning it.

In 2 months, I've put around 1,000 rounds through it, and I'm dying to clean it up. Does anyone have some tips on how to disassemble this bad boy? The manual is WAY too vague for me.

DAVE

Craig

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 23, 2007
    Denham Springs
    I bought a Ruger MkII about 17-18 years ago. It was used and I got a good deal at a pawn shop. I haven't taken it apart yet. I don't have the book and wouldn't know how anyway. It's still shooting!!

It's my beater gun. A little worn and ugly so I don't mind letting it go until it craps out. Then maybe I'll try to take it down. BTW, this is the ONLY gun I abuse.

I'm not suggesting in any way that you do this to your new gun. I'm just saying maybe the gun shop guy knows about the abuse these guns can take.

Or maybe he really didn't have a clue....

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Yeah you pull the thinger out of the back, slam down the back end of the upper down onto the table and it pops off. Or that's what I learned in a marksmanship class. :)

That video looks good.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    I've had a couple MkII's for years (And thousands and thousands of rounds)

All I've ever done was lock them open, spray them out, work the action a couple times, and shoot them some more.

And both were used when I bought them.

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    Well, I ended up stripping the MKIII, the Colt 1911, and cleaned up a big frame revolver all in the same night.

It was a little tricky, but i do not see why anyone would not be able to do this.

DAVE

Top Bottom