Ruger SR 1911 Anybody have one??

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Looking at these and Remington R1S and just curious to see if anybody has one and their opinions on them..I like the fact they are made here and have Novak sights and a nice beavertail. Looking forward to what ya'll gotta say.

sgt z

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    SR1911 I've had mine a while but have only shot it a couple of times. I like it. Its a very solid 1911 platform that I probably won't change. I only wish I would've waited to get a commander. No issues, crisp nice trigger for factory. The recoil spring is very stiff compared to others. I think normal is 18 lbs and I've never owned a 1911 with a spring as stiff as this one(maybe a 22lb). I also have some stain specs on the slide I need to look at that at first glance look like rust.

saint451

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Hammond
    Mine makes me a better shot...sights are great. Solid and nice looking. Have only put 500 rounds through it...factory ammo of all types and reloads. All have fed and ejected with no problems.

TomW

Recreational Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Prairieville, LA
    Personally, I Have held, and shot the Ruger ( a friend's gun) and I have the Remington R1. The remington is a decent 1911, and is very accurate too. Compared to the Ruger it is sloppy loose in terms of slide to frame fit/finish, but mine has performed flawlessly for approx. 1K rounds. I only got to shoot the Ruger a few magazines at the range, but it is on my list, albeit not at the top of that list. Given an either/or chance, I would choose the Ruger. Also of note is the firing pin safety...for some this is a big deal, the Ruger has non at all, and the Remington use the Series 80 style. 1911 addicts forum has some good data also. Below is an excerpt of a 1911 buyers guide that has a writee-up on both of the guns you inquired about. The prices are irrelevant now since this was done in 2011, but the gun data is solid. Hope this helps!

Remington 1911R1
    Remington released its first 1911 in over 90 years in June 2010. Its dubbed the Remington 1911 R1 and is supposed to be the first in a new series of 1911s from one of the oldest American firearms companies. At roughly $600, its one of the most affordable American built 1911s available. With its semi-glossy black oxide finish, beautiful checkered walnut grips, relatively clean roll marks, and tastefully done silver accents, I find it one of the nicest looking 1911s on the current market. I'm grouping this gun with the GI replicas, but it does have some enhancements, including significantly larger white dot sights, beveled magwell, and a lowered and flared ejection port. At this time, I have only fired 200 trouble-free rounds through mine, but was impressed by how this pistol handled. Roll markings are also well done, with a simply *Remington* on the left side and *1911R1* on the right. I wouldn’t mind if the font were a size smaller, but overall very tasteful. As do some others, Remington felt the need to include the series 80 firing pin safety in their first 1911. I recently got a another couple boxes of range ammo through it and it performed flawlessly. If this gun is any indication, I think Remington has a good future in the 1911 business and have just recently released an enhanced version of the R1.

This 1911 utilizes a series 80 style firing pin safety.
    Unloaded weight: 39.0oz
    Slide: Forged carbon steel
    Frame: Cast carbon steel
    Country of origin: United States
    Approximate 2011 street price: $600
    http://www.1911r1.com/

Ruger SR1911
    The next entry is one of the newest 1911s on the market at the time of this writing and Ruger's first entry into the 1911 world. The model is rightfully named the SR1911 and has taken the entry level market by surprise this year. It offers very good value for $650. Here we have full stainless construction, a nicely contoured beavertail grip safety, a beveled magwell, a good trigger, white dot combat sights, a steel mainspring housing, and beautiful double diamond wood grips with the Ruger emblem inlayed on each side. Roll markings are minimal, with "Ruger Made in USA" on the left side and simply the Ruger emblem stamped on the right. These markings coupled with the absence of front cocking serrations make the SR one of the nicest looking 1911s on the current market. Another feature of this gun that I like is actually something that was left out, a firing pin safety. I don't like any of them and this gun is true to original spec in that aspect. The SR1911 also uses a standard GI plug up front and a single sided thumb safety. All in all, we have a new 1911 selling for $650 with all the features you need and none that you don't in a very attractive package. Couple that with the fact that its built entirely in the United states by the largest gun manufacturer in the world and we have something that's almost too good to be true. Naturally, this gun performed flawlessly at the range with the limited number of rounds I have through it and all reviews that I have read have been overwhelmingly positive. I think Ruger may have the best entry level 1911 on the market, but they need to catch up to demand to somehow keep prices stable.
    This 1911 uses no firing pin safety.
    Unloaded weight: 38.8oz
    Slide: Forged stainless steel
    Frame: Cast stainless steel
    Country of origin: United States
    Approximate 2011 street price: $650
    http://www.ruger.com/products/sr1911/index.html

Ferrara Fire

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 12, 2013
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    Not impressed with the entry level Remingtons. The Ruger is nice for the price. Para has improved leaps and bounds since moving, I don't understand WHY the R1 isn't as nice as the new Para's.

TomW

Recreational Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Prairieville, LA
    Not impressed with the entry level Remingtons. The Ruger is nice for the price. Para has improved leaps and bounds since moving, I don't understand WHY the R1 isn't as nice as the new Para's.

Can't argue with this. I picked up a Para GI Expert about 5 months ago, for 130.00 less than I paid for the Remington!. It is a solid, respectable gun, tight, accurate, well made. I have about 500 rounds through mine so far, and have had zero issues. They do have plastic grips, and a few other differences that let them keep the cost down, but it does NOT keep the gun from performing well, and in fact better then several more expensive options.

The Para still does not compete with the Ruger in my opinion though. The Ruger has better sights, better grips, more/better checkering (better grip), adjustable trigger, extended safety, and a better grip safety/beavertail. Just my .02!

Last edited:

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I've had the SR1911 since early 2012. I've been pretty happy with it. I only have a little over 1000 rounds through it, but have not had any issues except when using semi-wadcutters (which I've never gotten to feed well in anything). Speer Gold Dots and Ball feed fine in the gun so far. For the price, I think it's hard to beat. Between it and the STI, I'm not sure there is a better 1911 until you get to the $1000 price range. Ruger did a good job on this pistol.

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Again I appreciate your opinions and I am sure the SR1911 is what I'm gonna purchase. Funny you mentioned Para because that was another one I was looking at..I wanted an American made gun in stainless that wasn't gonna cost me a pinky..I agree Para has come a long way but after handling one I was kind of discouraged. I"m currrently dealing what what they think is cellulitis (went to the ER Thursday night) and its a summabitch..when I get over this crap I'll make the purchase:)

mnop308

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    bossier
    I have had mine for a while and really like it. It is probably not as accurate as my kimbers. It has not had any malfunctions and was well sighted out of the box. The only complaint I have is the way the beavertail narrows as it goes back. I shoot with a high thumb and find that the point at the transition where it narrows it too sharp. After several magazines it can really feel it in the web of my hand. I am strongly considering grinding that point off. It will leave a bare stainless spot, but it will be more comfortable to shoot.

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Thanks Rick, hope your doing well....Well, I had the dinero for the Ruger and a SP-01 happened to become available and well, just had to get it and the price was good. SR1911 still on the list for sure!!! This damn CZ disease is killing me!!!!

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    I had one a few years back in parkerized. It is a very good gun and ate everything I put in it. I sold a SS GI Mil spec with the short sights that my eyes had trouble with (yeah, I'm an older dude). Looking at the Ruger now for a couple of reasons over the SA stuff. The Ruger is made here in the US and the sights are awesome compared to the SA Mil spec gun and pricing for what you get. I also like the beavertail on the Ruger-the SA has the standard GI beavertail.

david mitchell

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    near mandeville
    I have both the commander and full size and are very good for the price. After shooting them over 500 times, I have changed out the recoil spring for the target loads, excellent and have all the bells and whistles. They are now part of the herd of 9 1911.

au01st

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2014
    Alexandria, LA
    I love my SR1911 5". I don't shoot it much because I wear out the 10 in my targets too quickly and have other guns that I need more practice with. First time my dad shot it he confused it with my 1911-22 because the recoil was so manageable.

When I find a commander size for a good price it will be mine.

ronnielc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2014
    I have owned one since months after they were available. It has been very reliable. I did change to a Wolff spring, forgot weight. It has worked well. I also had a gunsmith put a Wilson Combat beavertail on be cause the shape of the Ruger one liked to dig into my hand. This one is smooth and wide like a tongue. Just recently I got a Storm Lake threaded barrel/bushing. It essentially dropped in and is more accurate than my original. I expect to have my Osprey 45 suppressor in a couple weeks. Awesome. I like the trigger and look. Oh, I also put the black Ruger wood grips on immediately after buying the gun. No problems, nice price and Ruger service-made is USA.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gordoloco
    Top Bottom