Ruger sr-556 (ar-15)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • All Star

Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Nov 1, 2011
    Baton Rouge, La
    So I bought one this weekend from a gun shop in lafayette.

I sold my AR to help get some new kitchen equipment for my business late last year, and have been missing it dearly.

I have read good review on this thing, but have not yet shot it. I only added a front grip so far. Honestly, I think that's all I might end up doing to it, other than a small laser or flashlight. I have never had the balls to pull the trigger and buy an Eotech sight, but it looks like they are really nice.

Any insight on this gun would be helpful if you've been around one or own one, or any accessory advice would be nice.

I've only had a bushmaster before, so I'm no expert by any means on AR's or guns, I just love them.

Thanks in advance!

B

WestBank_Dan

My Ninja dog!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Marrero, LA
    how much did you get it for? if you don't mind me asking

i'm looking to get a new rifle as well and plan to sell my old one. i was eyeing the ruger 556 also.

Spent Brass

Keeping South BR Classy
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    baton rouge
    I've got one. I like it a lot, never had any issues with it in the 1k or so rounds I've put through it. Mines sporting a Nikon 1.5-6x42, afg, single point sling, and knights armament rail covers. Enjoy it!
    heres mine:

424719_10101086950868775_23428906_63352282_1712532651_n.jpg

Last edited:

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    Does the Ruger feel like a heavy pig?

The only two things that have put me off of it is the price and people complaining how front end heavy it is.

Spent Brass

Keeping South BR Classy
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    baton rouge
    I got the rail covers from a member here, but you can find them online for around $20. Sling is nice, its a black hawk. Holds the rifle in a good position under my arm when not in use. Im thinking about getting a two point to keep the rifle a little higher up. It's really not all that heavy at 7.92lbs very comparable to any other piston driven rifle. It does have a forward center of gravity that takes some getting used to, but after a few magazines you don't even notice it anymore.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    They used to be the worst sufferers of carrier tilt, IIRC. But I think Ruger ironed that one out.

I heard "through the grapevine" that Ruger pulled EVERY one of these rifles produced from October (?) through the present off the shelves, quite recently. They also issued recalls through the FFLs, apparently.

Here's a thread that popped up in the past couple of days (about two weeks since I caught wind of it).

http://rugerforum.net/ruger-semi-auto/46935-sr556-recall.html

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Eugene Stoner removed the op rod from the design, using the bolt itself as a bore centered piston. Genius. Everything else seems to be an attempt to reverse engineer his masterpiece with this use of offset pistons and op rods.

That said, Ruger did a better job than some others.

Top Bottom