Running 1911 with no oil?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Patriot1911

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2021
    Mandeville
    Want to get feedback from some old school heads on here about running the 1911 (newer models) with no oil on the slides. I ran across an old gunsmith on YouTube under the handle gunblue490 and he recommended no oil on slide or anywhere else. I haven’t shot thousands of rounds through my 1911 nor have I had the luxury of seeing firsthand ones run with and without oil and the wear over time.

Fugum

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Metairie
    I like to run my 1911s wet, but you can treat your 1911 like you would any other semi auto.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk Pro

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    1911s need oil just like all other pistols. The no lube thing is not good advice for any firearm regardless of environment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    I used to know a guy that said you should always run a Ford a quart low on oil . Said an old mechanic told him that . Old mechanic , old gunsmith ... Experience doesn't always equal knowledge .

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    1911's need oil, and so does CZ's or any all metal guns, especially custom tight fitted guns. They aren't like Glocks and M&P's that only need 5 drops in certain areas. Never run a steel gun dry. I been running 1911's in competition for over 40 years. Check out Ed Brown's website on how to properly lube a 1911.

SouthernUnderGod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    …also Bill Wilson (Wilson Combat - customizes and builds 1911’s, etal.) has a good video on cleaning and lubricating 1911’s. He and Ken Hackathorn have stated many times that “… a 1911 runs better wet”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patriot1911

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2021
    Mandeville

1911's need oil, and so does CZ's or any all metal guns, especially custom tight fitted guns. They aren't like Glocks and M&P's that only need 5 drops in certain areas. Never run a steel gun dry. I been running 1911's in competition for over 40 years. Check out Ed Brown's website on how to properly lube a 1911.

Thanks for the feedback!

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    There is a difference in the amount of oil you need for a trip to the range versus concealed carry. Too much lube while carrying can result in an accumulation of dirt.

Markmmg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    For any kind of mechanical item where there is metal to metal contact, there will be friction and therefore wear. A gun is no exception. I always apply a light coat of oil on all metal to metal contact points.

Core

Salt
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Maine
    I have an SA Custom with over 15k of 45 Auto hardball. 1911 will not run without oil or some sort of lube unless they are very loose. A properly fitted 1911 has a tight lockup, bushing, link, and a handful of really good 1911 smiths recommend an "action job" where they weld and machine the frame rails and slide. You cant get good accuracy if it doesn't lockup tight: however, the action can be loose otherwise but the lockup needs to be solid. I use FrogLube and Otis Bio CLP. These bio lubes do not cook off easily and lift carbon keeping the 1911 wet when it heats up. I will note the liquid lube is required for a 1911: because the 1911 was engineered for oil. Bio lubes have great anti rust properties, and most conventional 1911's are moly steel which rusts fast in humidity and sweat.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I ran my Springfield in a 1 day class and shot roughly 500 failure free rounds. When I got home I decided rather than cleaning it to see how far I can go without touching the gun before I started getting failures. At 900 rounds the slide slowed to the point that it was creeping. I could watch the slide move as it forced it's way back forward. Amazingly it still didn't jam. I caved at that point, went home and detail cleaned it! Nasty but I was impressed!

Top Bottom