Rust on AK

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mannelite

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2019
    Covington, Louisiana
    Hey guys,
    I took my AK out hunting the other weekend, and left it in the bed of my truck over night, in the morning it had surface rust on the receiver and the outside of the barrel and other parts that were factory metal parts. It cleaned right off but I decided I should probably take some preventative measures, I think I'm gonna spray paint it camo, going for cheap here, anyone know any good paint brands to do this with or is that a bad idea and I should do something else? Also, general tips for spray painting an AK would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Kuffaar

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2019
    Lafayette
    Just put a good coat of oil on the entire rifle. I recommend 3 and 1 oil to stop the rust. If your going to spray paint it, I recommend masking off the bolt area.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Ballistol is a good oil to apply. It soaks into the pores of the metal and congeals to almost a waxy finish that stays around longer than a thin oil.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Anytime I take any of my firearms outside I coat them with some ballistol. It’s always worked well for me even being near brackish or salt water.

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    https://shop.brownells.com/gun-clea...fLPmovzRpS3X1Ty6bPm9HG1nvZIkIKvwaAjYJEALw_wcB

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Marine-T...7Nm-DJL_xEL330tLEGwaAsbpEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I’ve been using a Sentry product called Marine Tuf Glide for about 20+ years to keep my hunting guns from rusting. I use it together with Birchwood Casey Barricade spray (for the innards mainly) and I don’t worry a bit. The tuf glide works best when rubbed on with their cloth, which is a little like a thin piece of spandex or something. It leaves a cost that gets a little tacky then dries and lasts quite a while. Water beads and runs off. It’s impervious to salt water. My duck gun has been kept in primo shape for 2 decades as a result. I use the Barricade (formerly Gun Sheath) on all my blued guns for storage. Just a spray and wipe down with a sprayed cloth for a thin coat but also all the nooks and crannies and other places you can’t see. Anywhere there are springs for sure. It displaces water pretty good.

I’ve never seen a better product for removing rust from a blued gun than PB Blaster or Kroil. If you get a flash rust (likely what happened to your AK) just spray it down wet, let it sit a few hours then spray a cloth and wipe it down. You’ll see the rust on the cloth. Nylon brush, Q-tips or what ever for the hard to reach areas. Steel wool will remove the blue! Spray it down and leave it overnight and wipe it down again the next day. If you’re lucky you won’t see any rust on the second cloth.

Attachments

• C919D5D1-AF9E-4260-A375-7B5E939FE918.jpg
      C919D5D1-AF9E-4260-A375-7B5E939FE918.jpg
      85.5 KB · Views: 67
    Last edited:

Mannelite

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2019
    Covington, Louisiana
    Thanks for the tips everyone, yeah I got it coated with Rem oil right now, will check out the ballistol, and thanks for the tips Magdump, I'm going to check that stuff out too. probably would be better than trying to paint my AK... it would probably come out looking retarded... Not much of an artist

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Thanks for the tips everyone, yeah I got it coated with Rem oil right now, will check out the ballistol, and thanks for the tips Magdump, I'm going to check that stuff out too. probably would be better than trying to paint my AK... it would probably come out looking retarded... Not much of an artist

We sell Ballistol at Gretna Gun. I need to do a restock of it this week actually. Check with us in about a week and a half. Gonna get an order pushed this week.

rdass623

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    new orleans
    if you are looking for a paint, you can get dura coat from either midway or brownells.... it is great for refinishing firearms. you can go plain black or camo easily. they aslo if i am not mistaken make other bright colors... very tough finishes... a little surface rust on a ak will be fine, just clean it up and keep a light coat of oi on the metal...

Top Bottom