S&W MP @ Academy

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    OK. Academy has S&W MP flattops with no sights and picatinny gas blocks for 899.00

1. I heard that there were some issues. What are they and how do I tell?
    2. Is 899.00 a good price for something like this?

Conceyted

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Metairie, LA
    Doesn't sound too bad. Just to add to the AR list. Jefferson Gun has an S&W with quad rails and flip up front and rear sights for $1500 and a complete DPMS stock rifle for $900. Not the cheapest but not horrible.

LCPL 4

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Badger Free Zone
    Supposedly they had a problem with mag well size. Some mags they didn't like. I read somewhere that they fixed it and you should be good to go after a certain serial number. Don't remember where I saw it or what the number was but that's what I remember.

Narco

0-60 in 5.11
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 6, 2007
    New Orleans
    nolacop, i will look up my serial number later on my MP15T, you should be good if it a number after mine, because I haven't had any issues whatsoever.

lost

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Pineville
    Ive had no problems with GI mags in the M&P 15 I bought from Academy. I bought mine in September. The serial # is 79646 if that helps.

As for who builds them, according to the list Spikes Tactical posted on the AR forum, CMT builds S&W lowers. As for the rest of it, I don't know.

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    I have a S&W MP15 and have run several hundred rounds without the first hickup. I like is so much I have one of their new 5.45 x 39's on order. I would not be afarid to get this gun.

Last edited:

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    When Stag was making that rifle for S&W, there were lots of problems. You can do a search on AR-15.com for details.

It is my understanding that S&W is building them in-house now; dunno for sure, just what I was told.

The question,of course, is this; if S&W IS building them now, what pedigree are these @ Academy?

I imagine that S&W will tell you, if you provide a serial #, who built it. But then, you run the risk of somebody else buying it while you do your detective work...

Life sucks, eh? ;)

I heard it was the opposite, that they were groovy when Stag was making them and the issues cropped up afterwords.

I am not saying that because I am a Stag fan, that is just how I heard it.

Dunno, though.

3wbdriver

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2007
    Leesville
    Bought mine at Shooters in Lafayette in July for $869. M&P15OR, flattop, gasblock rail. I've since added a YHM freefloat quadrail, front and rear YHM BUIS, and an ATN scope. About 400 rounds through it so far with nary a hiccup. Monarch brass, AE, Black Hills, and Remington UMC have all worked fine. I will admit the freefloat handguard made it an entirely different rifle. Tightened the 100 yd groups up considerably.

:)

3wbdriver

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2007
    Leesville
    For buis, I'll only recommend you stay away from the Chinese made stuff. There is enough good quality stuff floating around to spin your head. I just hate to think of the Chinese making money off what are obviously knockoffs of American designs. I really like my Yankee Hill Machine ones. Enough that I have 2 sets of them. But I don't want to push them on you. You have to decide what your need is more than me. Just understand they are backups for your optics. Mine don't get used much at all. These are on an AR rail on my Kel-tec Sub 2000, but they should give you an idea of size.

;)

ARSR-40-1S.jpg

ARSR-40-2S.jpg

Last edited:

3wbdriver

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2007
    Leesville
    Looking at the Troy and GG&G sights, and mind you this is just my opinion. I prefer the YHM sights if for no other reason than that they have big thumbscrews for mounting/removal. This won't be important for co-mounting with your EoTech, but if you add a magnified optic, it may become more important. I can't mount a rear BUIS with my scope on there. And it's another tool you don't have to find when you need to change stuff.

ATN5X33L1-S.jpg

Top Bottom