Safe issue

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gmshooter

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    328   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Gramercy La.
    I have a cannon safe that the key pad went out on. I am waiting for them to send me the replacement. I was told to contact a locksmith to drill the front of the safe to replace the wiring for the key pad. Do you guys know of a reputable locksmith to do this?

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    Had the same thing happen with my Cannon. When I got it open, I replaced the lock with an old fashioned dial.

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    Cannot get to the other side of the keypad cord and safe is locked close.
    i recall reading someone unscrewing the back of the keypad and swapping the keypad end of the wires to connect the new keypad to. worth looking into at least.

i swapped out my old safe from digital to electronic several years ago after we flooded. i was able to get my safe cleaned up and a dehumidifier in it to dry it out. the shelving of course was gone but otherwise safe was still in good condition. i put a dial lock on and it's a pretty simple process to do.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    Don't think i would agree that all of the electronics are in the door. the keypad is the main electronic piece. there is only an actuator in the door to move the bolt bar.
    I had the same issue with the same model Cannon thar gmshooter has. The keypad is just that, a keypad.

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    I have a cannon safe that the key pad went out on. I am waiting for them to send me the replacement. I was told to contact a locksmith to drill the front of the safe to replace the wiring for the key pad. Do you guys know of a reputable locksmith to do this?
    is the original keypad the style that you push up on it to remove and access the battery? assuming you changed the battery in it and still no luck i would attempt to change the keypad first once you recieve the new one. from all of the research i did previously the keypad is the main failure. if you cannot just slide the keypad up and off there will be a small sticker at the bottom of the keypad that you can peal off and reveal a screw. unscrew that and your keypad will come out of the housing. you should be able to unplug it from there and plug the new keypad in and try that before drilling the safe. if it is the style you slide up then there should be some screws on the backside to open the back of the housing and get to the wire connections on the keypad itself. you lose nothing by trying that one. if it still doesnt work and the internal lock actually failed (much less common) then you can get it drilled and changed.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    They sent me a complete new lock system. Once I got the lock apart, BOTH keypads would work the new actuator but neither would work the old one.

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    I had the same issue with the same model Cannon thar gmshooter has. The keypad is just that, a keypad.
    all of the electronic locks are built pretty much the same. there are some minor differences but work on the same principal. the keypad has an electronic board in it. the lock itself is a mechanical piece. it likely has a small capacitor and solenoid/actuator that moves the locking bar bolt. the keypad sends power signal to tell it to open. not that they don't fail but from all the research i did the actual lock fails much less frequently than the keypad does.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    all of the electronic locks are built pretty much the same. there are some minor differences but work on the same principal. the keypad has an electronic board in it. the lock itself is a mechanical piece. it likely has a small capacitor and solenoid/actuator that moves the locking bar bolt. the keypad sends power signal to tell it to open. not that they don't fail but from all the research i did the actual lock fails much less frequently than the keypad does.
    Speaking from actual experience, not research

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    You can put your ego back in your pocket. You win.
    it's not about winning its about not passing on **** poor information because of your one example. when both experience and readily available information may prevent the man from spending unnecessary money on a locksmith if it isn't needed. if you haven't attempted to educate yourself on how something works why would you start giving advice to someone. it very well may end up that his lock itself has failed but it costs him zero to try the keypad first. if that doesn't work then move on to the next step. that's called troubleshooting and unfortunately seems to be lost on more and more people these days.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    it's not about winning its about not passing on **** poor information because of your one example. when both experience and readily available information may prevent the man from spending unnecessary money on a locksmith if it isn't needed. if you haven't attempted to educate yourself on how something works why would you start giving advice to someone. it very well may end up that his lock itself has failed but it costs him zero to try the keypad first. if that doesn't work then move on to the next step. that's called troubleshooting and unfortunately seems to be lost on more and more people these days.
    Do you really think that I didn’t try the keypad first? I made multiple calls to Cannon before I actually did anything. I’m not in the business of giving bad information for any reason. And since gmshooter and I bought the safes from the same place at the same time, I think that I am qualified to give him the information that I got first hand.

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    It’s not the keypad that’s at fault. All the electronics are inside the door.

Do you really think that I didn’t try the keypad first? I made multiple calls to Cannon before I actually did anything. I’m not in the business of giving bad information for any reason. And since gmshooter and I bought the safes from the same place at the same time, I think that I am qualified to give him the information that I got first hand.
    didn't say anything about what you did to yours. i was directly referring to you assuming that the failure you experienced is exactly what is wrong with his without any troubleshooting. it's fairly costly to have a locksmith come out to drill one. why just assume its the lock that failed based on your single experience when there is plenty of info available supporting that is not the common failure point.

if there is any ego in this discussion i think it may be coming from your end. i disagreed with your statement that all of the electronics are inside the safe and apparently triggered you or something. if you did the troubleshooting you claimed none of your responses make since.. you stated when you got yours open you replaced it with a dial lock. but then went on to say that when you got the new keypad and lock both keypads worked the new lock. so which is it did you install a dial or another electronic lock.

now that we have pissed in this guys thread enough, gmshooter, good luck with getting the safe open hopefully you can avoid having it drilled and hopefully i have been able to help by some degree. id reccomend a quick google or youtube search of safe keypad failure. ive only changed keypads with the screw in the face but as i stated before i have seen info stating the slip off style can be opened from the back to access wires on the keypad side just the same hope it works out for you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SSWEEEE
    Top Bottom