safe queen

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    I suppose this is the correct place to post this.

I have a 50th anniversary 10/22, the one that one the design contest. I purchased it to be a safe queen that will be eventually passed on to a younger generation. I know it may not become a sought out prized firearm but I just thought it would be cool to keep it in pristine, unfired condition. I may be alive to see a 75th anniversary edition of the rifle, but I plan to check out before they reach the 100 year anniversary. Anyway, I thought it would be a kind of cool if my son could eventually have a 50th, 75th, and 100th anniversary 10/22. He should live long enough to see all three released, if Ruger releases them.

So I'd like to ask you all what do you think would be the best way to store this rifle. Right now it's just stuffed in it's original box in a closet. For those not familiar with the rifle, it's a composite stock with a stainless barrel. I know that stainless can corrode. Should I just keep it like it is and maybe pull it out every few months and wipe it down and lightly coat it with a CLP? Thoughts?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Dblb

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 14, 2014
    Westwego
    One word... Cosmoline. A quick google search will pull up a ton of info, and if you're in the N.O. Area I can prob get you a little jar of the stuff.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    The seal up storage bags made to store guns work. But I'd take the gun out of the stock and oil it down proper. Hit the bore good and make sure all the springs get some oil. Seal that puppy airtight in the plastic bag ( throw in a couple desiccant packs first if you want) and in the safe. We all know cosmoline works, but that's a clean up job that a 10/22 might suffer from down the road.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom