Saiga's...Conversions...School me!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    I have been seeing alot of people mention Saiga's and converted or non converted. Who did it / are you going to do one ect. What does all this mean and provide pics if you can. I kinda think that the 12ga's are cool but I dont have much use for one. Plus spent way too much on guns lately any way. Thanks in advance for any info.

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    :mamoru:
    Notice the position of the trigger guard and the added pistol grip.

Un-converted:
    saiag12_adjsight.jpg

Converted(like the AKs):
    Saiga12_sm.jpg

:)

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    I have been seeing alot of people mention Saiga's and converted or non converted. Who did it / are you going to do one ect. What does all this mean and provide pics if you can. I kinda think that the 12ga's are cool but I dont have much use for one. Plus spent way too much on guns lately any way. Thanks in advance for any info.

I converted my S12 myself. anything in particular you are wanting to know, or just a quick rundown of the whole shebang?

Drill and punch out 2 pins in the rear holding the trigger, knock out the 2 pins holding the hammer and trigger linkage, (if you are going to reuse your trigger guard) CAREFULLY drill out the spot welds and remove the trigger guard, drill a new hole for the pistol grip (if you use a SAW grip, you can just use a hole, if your using a regular AK grip, you need to file it into a square for the pistol grip nut), cut down the trigger guard, install your new 922r compliant trigger group, reinstall pins, re-instal trigger guard, bolt/srew on 922r pistol grip and stock, touch up unfinished areas that are exposed after moving the trigger guard, and plug the 4 left over holes in the rear. if you are doing a rifle, you need to install a bullet guide to use different mags. Also if you plan on doing this, the bolt on Tromix trigger guard/pistol grip plate is ****.

If you have seen the Bayoushooter.com Sherburne video from October, the S12 being bumped at the end is my self converted one.

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    So all a conversion is basicly is putting a pistol grip on the gun and a stock of your choosing? That is the objective anyway? Which for the pistol grip to go where the trigger was that has to get moved up.

Last edited:

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Thaks speedlace I was editing and didnt see your post you beat me to the trigger thing. Well cool thanks guys I didnt know and I am not too proud to admit that I didnt thats why I asked. And thanks to yall now I do. I would want a non conversion 12 ga. Would use it possibly for goose hunting durning the conservation season would be the only practical use I could use it for. Prefer the standard stock it is more natural to me.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    Thaks speedlace I was editing and didnt see your post you beat me to the trigger thing. Well cool thanks guys I didnt know and I am not too proud to admit that I didnt thats why I asked. And thanks to yall now I do. I would want a non conversion 12 ga. Would use it possibly for goose hunting durning the conservation season would be the only practical use I could use it for. Prefer the standard stock it is more natural to me.

Yes, basically you are moving the trigger + trigger guard up, adding a pistol grip and a different stock.

I have 2 20 round drums for my saiga, and would LOVE to take that bad boy out on a conservation goose hunt and let er rip, actually I have mentioned this to a couple of my hunting buddies. I can tell you this, it does not shoot nearly as fast with a standard G2 trigger installed, as it did with the factory trigger. The factory trigger had an overtravel "limiter" (for lack of better terms) that is one of the left over, unused parts, and you could m/t the 5 rounder before the first hull hit the ground. I plan on eventually getting one of the adjustable red star arms triggers, or possibly even one of the tromix modified G2 groups just for this reason.

There is a simple bolt on (folding) stock/pistol grip combo that leaves all the trigger group as is, but its a little on the "homely" side, aesthetically, but would be really quick to convert back to a more wingshooter friendly configuration.
    Siaga_FX.jpg

Top Bottom