Sako 85 grouping problems

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    funny you bring that up.... me and my buddy were talking yesterday and he was asking me the same thing, he has a Sako 85 Finnlight in .308 with a very expensive schmidt and bender scope ($3000 plus he used to sell guns and got it on a commission for selling so many schmidts) all mounts and rings are tight and torqued correctly and he was using nosler accubond's 150gr and was getting good groups at 50yrds (sub 1") well he shot a doe at 125yards and said he knew the trigger pull was dead on and when he checked deer it had a hole in its neck :confused: and he said it looked like it keyholed going in..so he tried to shoot it at 100 and got around 3" groups.... stretched it out to 150 and was all over the place, he checked crowing and it was excellent and using a lead sled and no the barrel wasn't on the lead sled the fore end was... I have a tikka ctr .308 that shoots my 165gr SST @ 2670fps sub 1/2"moa @ 100 yards suppressed, so I plan to get him some to do a ladder test with and see if that's any better, but you would think with that high $$$ gun, High $$$ scope, High $$$ ammo it would print better, Heck ive had mini 30's get better groups than that at 100 yards with cheap steel case ammo... needless to say hes very upset with it, and if my handloads don't do any better he said its back to the factory!!! I wish you luck man

Last edited:

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    Any one here shoot a sako 85 in 270? I just bought my dad one and get it to group. Tried 3 different federal premium 130 grain ammo. Any suggestions?

If the barrel is free-floated put a piece of rubber like a car tire inner tube under the barrel where it contacts the fore-end and bolt it back up putting a slight upward pressure on the barrel. It will dampen the vibrations of a lighter weight barrel. Helps out alot.

benelli_t

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2013
    Louisiana
    Unfortunately, I have seen a few Sako's do this. At the end, the owners turned them into custom builds. Hand loads did help grouping better than off the shelf ammo. Sako is a stand up company... I would make contact with them to discuss.

Jaygunner

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 28, 2023
    So Louisiana
    Unfortunately, I have seen a few Sako's do this. At the end, the owners turned them into custom builds. Hand loads did help grouping better than off the shelf ammo. Sako is a stand up company... I would make contact with them to discuss.
    My Finnlight 85 in 300 WSM hated light bullets 150 gr, After a Call to Sako. they told me to try 180 gr bullets because that's what it was designed to shoot. It now shoots sun MOA all day long

Bigboi

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2018
    southwest LA
    lmao cant really help u here, but I found with my Daniel defense Delta5 that's supposed to have a sub moa guarantee from factory to be BS. It took me $400+ to find out my gun only liked hornady 168gr eld and federal 180gr berger bullets.
    Those 2 grouped under 1moa for the hornady just under a couple of times, but i would say its more around 1 moa could only get it to group under a couple of times.

some of the other not successful boxes I have tried
    sako 175gr otm
    barns 150gr jhp bt
    hornady match 178gr and 168gr bthp
    hornady precision hunter 178gr eldx
    federal premium gold medal seirraa 168gr 175gr
    DRT 135gr (supposed to mimic heavy grain projectiles somehow idk)
    aguila 150gr and whatever the gr is for the 7.62x51 chose them for plinking because it was ok but not great in terms of groupings for $17 a box locally.
    and a couple of more boxes of other match and non match ammunition that was mediocre. i just dont remember what they where these where left over boxes i have brass in.

I know its not the gun because of the fact i got repeatable groups with the 180gr fed and 168gr horn. and because of these results ive moved to semi auto gas guns because of how these all grouped. Only reason I would but a bolt gun is because the hunting bolt guns are light weight and restrictions if any could be applied.

my advise is call sako and try the ammo they used to test the rifles to get that guarantee there is always a baseline
    DO NOT SEND IT IN IF U DIDN'T seen a couple of these "sub moa" rifle companies have a policy of charging like $50 to $200 fees plus shipping if they can say they got it to their standards.

also try out all the ammo you can buy at the shop you go to if non group well ur gun is messed up

datboyhieu01

Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    May 23, 2015
    Metairie
    lmao cant really help u here, but I found with my Daniel defense Delta5 that's supposed to have a sub moa guarantee from factory to be BS. It took me $400+ to find out my gun only liked hornady 168gr eld and federal 180gr berger bullets.
    Those 2 grouped under 1moa for the hornady just under a couple of times, but i would say its more around 1 moa could only get it to group under a couple of times.

some of the other not successful boxes I have tried
    sako 175gr otm
    barns 150gr jhp bt
    hornady match 178gr and 168gr bthp
    hornady precision hunter 178gr eldx
    federal premium gold medal seirraa 168gr 175gr
    DRT 135gr (supposed to mimic heavy grain projectiles somehow idk)
    aguila 150gr and whatever the gr is for the 7.62x51 chose them for plinking because it was ok but not great in terms of groupings for $17 a box locally.
    and a couple of more boxes of other match and non match ammunition that was mediocre. i just dont remember what they where these where left over boxes i have brass in.

I know its not the gun because of the fact i got repeatable groups with the 180gr fed and 168gr horn. and because of these results ive moved to semi auto gas guns because of how these all grouped. Only reason I would but a bolt gun is because the hunting bolt guns are light weight and restrictions if any could be applied.

my advise is call sako and try the ammo they used to test the rifles to get that guarantee there is always a baseline
    DO NOT SEND IT IN IF U DIDN'T seen a couple of these "sub moa" rifle companies have a policy of charging like $50 to $200 fees plus shipping if they can say they got it to their standards.

also try out all the ammo you can buy at the shop you go to if non group well ur gun is messed up

Welll glad you posted this bc I have a DD delta 5 also but have ya tried Sierra matchking? They did great for me I’ll check the grain it is

Bigboi

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2018
    southwest LA
    Welll glad you posted this bc I have a DD delta 5 also but have ya tried Sierra matchking? They did great for me I’ll check the grain it is
    I didn't try the SMK brand but the 2 fed had SMK projectile in them. Might have also tried another brand that had the projectile.
    I think this rifle may just not like the projectile itself.

Top Bottom