Sale price versus trade value .

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BluewaterLa

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    Slidell La
    I don't understand a good bit of this crazy world we live in much less some of the two legged critters
    With you on that though it just does not make any sense.

usmc-nav

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I do not understand it either. Only thing i can figure is that perhaps those who wish to trade have a higher opinion of the value
    of what they want to trade. You can see this by some of the for sale listings on this forum. Some items are priced reasonably and some
    are, "you are kidding me" pricing.

Fugum

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Metairie
    You can see this by some of the for sale listings on this forum. Some items are priced reasonably and some
    are, "you are kidding me" pricing.

My favorites are the guys asking more for a used gun that you can pickup new for less. Why would anyone pay more for an in stock item?

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    I think it has to do with the fact that people that want to trade you a gun for yours, want full retail for their trade and want to give you a discounted price for yours, that dog don't hunt.
    The cash on the barrelhead price is the discounted price and if you want to trade your gun for that, then you'll have to take a disounted price for yours as well. You could always sell yours first and trade the money for the one you want.
    If I have to sell your trade for my gun in order for me to get my money out of it then I'll be looking to get a commission off the sale of your gun. Like I said, you can always sell your gun and get the commission and pay the money for what you want.
    Now if it's something you're trading for mine that I want to keep and yours gun is not jacked up to retail while mine remains at discounted price, then we can have a deal based on discounted values.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    I always want cash over a trade. Give me cash and I'll buy whatever I want with that money. If you don't have cash and would rather trade me something you own, then I have to give up my primary preference. I may even have to waste more of my time selling the item you want to trade me if I end up not liking it.

If I value an item at $300 cash price and $400 trade price, it's mostly to deter trades. If someone doesn't want to offer me cash, at least it's worth my while considering their trade because there's something in it for me, a more valuable item. Otherwise, what's the point in even entertaining a trade if it's not something I'm really interested in when I'd much prefer cash?

The only way I would consider an even trade is if it's for something I plan on spending the money on. Like I am selling my item for $300 to buy another item and if you have the exact item I want then I'm not giving up anything in the transaction. That's a perfectly even and fair trade.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    I always found it kind of odd myself. At the end of the day it’s not like people are calculating up prices and depreciation of used items. It comes down to buy it with cash or trade me something I like.

What I really done understand in the classified is the guys selling used guns for more than what I can buy a brand new one for. They have a Canik tp9 elite sc right now listed in the classified for $500. Why would I pay you $500 for a used gun when I can go buy a brand new one for about $425. Especially a gun as common as Canik that’s in every gun shop and academy gets them in weekly. The only people your likely to attract with sales items like that are the people who can’t legally buy a firearm in the first place.

Welldoya

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    Bosco nailed it. People that put that would rather have cash. They don’t want a trade but will accept a trade if it’s in their favor.

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    Can't quite understand this myself. If i have a gun i want to part with to get something else then i either want cash or the item i intend to purchase. i have no interest in trading for a pistol when I'm in the market for a rifle so why entertain trading for something i don't want. In the right circumstances that could be misconstrued as illegal if you fully intend to acquire a firearm with full intentions of selling it for a profit.

Additionally, as several others have noted in this post on some of the listed prices i can see 2 sides to that. I personally know several individuals who only deal with retailers such as Jim's who are known to be priced higher than pretty much everyone else for the same items. They end up over paying in the beginning and then later decide to sell and ask $50 or $100 less than they paid but they are priced the same as what you can purchase new at academy etc. Then again, i also stopped looking at Louisiana sportsman because it became very apparent that folks are selling firearms for higher than new prices and getting it because the buyers can't legally go in a retailers and make the purchase.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Great answers. Another thing to consider is supply and demand. If I have an easy to find common firearm and you have a hard to find not so common firearm someone may pay top dollar for yours and I may have to discount mine in order to sell.

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    Different values because they favor one over the other.

People are also more likely to trade of equal value than put out cash for something. On here, they can hide it from their significant accountant.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it . Or trade for it . To use two different valuations still doesn't make sense to me . Whatever .

Wesco_0311

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 20, 2021
    Gulfcoast
    I think it has to do with the fact that people that want to trade you a gun for yours, want full retail for their trade and want to give you a discounted price for yours, that dog don't hunt.
    The cash on the barrelhead price is the discounted price and if you want to trade your gun for that, then you'll have to take a disounted price for yours as well. You could always sell yours first and trade the money for the one you want.
    If I have to sell your trade for my gun in order for me to get my money out of it then I'll be looking to get a commission off the sale of your gun. Like I said, you can always sell your gun and get the commission and pay the money for what you want.
    Now if it's something you're trading for mine that I want to keep and yours gun is not jacked up to retail while mine remains at discounted price, then we can have a deal based on discounted values.
    Came here to say exactly this. Couldn't have said it better.

Top Bottom