Savage MKii BTVS problem

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bunk39

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2014
    Bunkie, LA
    Bought this gun just before Christmas as an accompaniment to my rimfire suppressor. Wanted something to shoot subsonic ammo out of with bolt action so that all I hear when shooting is the firing pin.
    That's just what I got- only problem is, I can't get it to zero. I've got a Vortex HS-T (overkill I know but it's for a long range gun build I'm working on) on it, mounted properly. Had the barrel threaded at Bayou Tech Guns, been more than happy with their work before. Shooting different subsonic and standard velocity ammo the best of which is probably Federal Gold Medal Target. I'm barely getting 1.5" at 25 yds! The POI walks all the way around my crosshairs clockwise and repeats... I'm scratching my head on this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    Did this ammo group much better before you had the barrel threaded? Have you tried a bunch of different QUALITY ammo through it to see what it likes?

Alot of savages like wolf match ammo, its sonic but see if you can get some of it...

Bunk39

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2014
    Bunkie, LA
    Thanks for the replies. I'll check the barrel clearance tomorrow.

One piece of info I left out is that after a hundred rounds or so, I noticed some metal filings at the back of the receiver where the bolt slides in and out...

Unfortunately I took the gun directly from the shop in Gueydan to the smith in Arnaudville. Probably should have tried it first but I've got a Savage 93r17 that I did the same thing with and the result is nothing short of amazing. That thing will shoot better than I can shoot it.

Only quality ammo I've tried is the Federal Gold Match and Eley subsonic HP. Looks like I'm gonna have to spend some money and buy some high priced stuff to try.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Have you broken down your variables:
    Torque everything
    Shoot a group with your can
    Shoot a group without the can
    Any thread protector?
    Reshoot all groups with several sub and supersonic rounds while letting your barrel cool sufficiently.
    With the rain this weekend you should have all day tomorrow to work on it.

CHW2021

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Abita Springs
    Definitely try the different brands/types of ammo and watch the bullet weights and shapes. Also, clean the rifle and use a solvent in the bore, I like Butch's; it dissolves metal fouling and is not harsh.
    Do you have another scope you could try? And check the "tightness" of the mounting screws and the scope ring screws; do not overtighten the screws. The rings should be +- 20 inch pounds and the mounting screws +-25. Overtightening can have the effect you describe.

Bunk39

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2014
    Bunkie, LA
    I plan on trying another scope. I have an old Bushnell Banner sitting around or I might just go ahead and buy a prostaff rimfire to have around.

I bought the Weaver in/lb wrench and used it to mount the scope. Also got a lapping set up and lapped the rings. The only ones I tightened a little overboard we're the crossbolts attaching the rings to the EGW 20 MOA mount.

Read something on a couple different forums about tightening the receiver screws to a certain torque. Guess I'll check that as well.

Nail Gun

Blissfully Ignorant
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Slidell
    The metal shavings may be from the bolt locking pin grinding against the channel in the receiver. IMO that's a big problem with Savage RF's. Mine is 1/3 worn away after approx 5-600 rounds. I need to get another one and figure out how to harden it prior to installation.

CHW2021

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Abita Springs
    Personally, I feel that lapping rings is a last resort; if they are that far out of true they are defective. Do try a bore cleaner as the rifle is still in a "new" condition and may need a bit of wear in to give you best accuracy.

Bunk39

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2014
    Bunkie, LA
    The barrel is broken in. It's had a good 250-300 bulk, subsonic, and match rds through it and has been cleaned w Mpro 7 bore gel (cleans up what old no. 9 leaves behind). The chamber has been brushed with a bronze brush a couple times as ejecting spent rounds was not going well at first.

Another thing I noticed that looked funny to me (probably just never noticed before) is it looks like the grooves actually extend into the chamber up to the case. The grooves aren't as pronounced in this section and the section ends abruptly- you can see the machining. I guess this is so the bullet is contacting the rifling from the get-go.

That sound normal?

Bunk39

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2014
    Bunkie, LA
    Thanks for the advice everyone.

Well I checked out a couple things with the savage this evening. First, and possibly most important, the 'free floated' barrel was touching the wooden stock in a couple spots. I took some material off with emory cloth until I was sure the barrel wasn't touching anywhere. I replaced the stock and torqued the action screws per some recommendations on the savage shooters forum. Unfortunately after tightening up I noticed the barrel was pulled back to one side of the stock. I still could pass a sheet of paper easily but it's definitely one sided.

There are some folks out there who have spent some money on these rifles getting them 'accurized'. I can see the attraction to getting it bedded for sure. When tightening the action screws, the front one tends to pull the barreled action down to the front of the stock. I had to make sure I tightened the back one first. Also, there is probably a quarter inch travel front/back where the barreled action can be tightened down! I shoved it all the way back.

Anyway, I'm gonna shoot one day soon with the same ammo that I shot prior to 'throwing up my hands'. Hopefully I'll see some improvement.

Top Bottom