savage model 10

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • broken_joke

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    carriere,ms
    my mother and i are interested in competition shooting. she is looking at a savage model 10 tactical. i have my two service rifles so i believe that is ok for competition. does the model 10 rifle fall into a particular class that she can compete with? from what i have seen on the NRA website high power mostly consists of service style rifles. we need clarification before we purchase the rifle because that will be a use for the rifle.
    thanks
    jake

broken_joke

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    carriere,ms
    cajuntim,
    yes, it would be the fp.

Bkliebert,
    i have an ar-15 and a m1a and i believe that falls under high power. what class will the 10fp fall under? that is the question i have. she will most likely use the 223 version of that rifle.

thanks
    jake

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    I have never competed so I may be way off target here. I would think the longer the barrel the better it would be for certain competitions (shooting from stationary positions) Having said that and being a big fan of Savage myself and knowing that most people replace the stocks on them(maybe not now with the accu-stock) but I would consider getting a FV since you will want to replace the stock probably anyways no matter which model you go with but you gain a few inches. Now if you order a FP with a McM or something stock from the start or get one of the new stocks you might be good to go.

I went with the FV and put a McM stock on it. The differences between the FV & FP I believe or length of barrel, a sling stud and barrel finish only.

BKliebert

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    South, La
    cajuntim,
    yes, it would be the fp.

Bkliebert,
    i have an ar-15 and a m1a and i believe that falls under high power. what class will the 10fp fall under? that is the question i have. she will most likely use the 223 version of that rifle.

thanks
    jake

Jake,

She could compete shoting F-Class in F/TR, basically shooting from prone using a bipod and rear bag. The stock 10fp will limit you to bullet choice due to the twist rate, I believe that it comes in a 1 in 9 twist, it may shoot the Hornady 75, some do and some don't it all depends on that particular rifle. This is shot at 600yds so ideally a 1 in 8 twist is used to stabilize the 80 grain bullets.

The beauty of the savage it will allow you to change barrels without having a gunsmith do the work for you, all that's required is a barrel vice a wrench for the barrel nut and a go gauge to check headspace. My brother bought a Savage in 223 and it now sports a barrel chambered in 6mmBr and new bolt face which he uses to compet in the open class. I think he purchased the Shaw barrel and new bolt head from Brownell's.
    Buck

Last edited:

broken_joke

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    carriere,ms
    Cajun Tim,
    i'll let her know about the stock choices. also i'll let her know about the differences in the fv and fp.

Bkliebert,
    F-class f/tr cool. that's what we wanted to know. the NRA site is kinda vague as to anything other than service style rifles for competition. really cool info on the the savage rifles. i don't own one but i just may after seeing how hers shoots.

thanks guys, i am not familiar with these style rifles so all the info is much appreciated!
    jake

BKliebert

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    South, La
    Jake,

Typically they shoot very well right out of the box. I have a friend who is retired and lives in Florida (smallbore Master classification), he makes extra money by sighting in rifles for a large local dealer and he constantly says that the Savage rifle's in general are the most accurate rifles that he works with.

Buck

broken_joke

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    carriere,ms
    Buck,
    a local gun shop owner says some things very similar, he was very impressed by the quality! i think she'll like that rifle.

i have question not pertaining to the rifle but more to the range in Gonzales. is there practice or sighting in allowed at the 600yd range? we are very interested in shooting at a longer distance range like this.

jake

BKliebert

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    South, La
    Jake,

The range at Gonzales (Ascension Parish Sheriff's Range) across the street from Lamar Dixon only goes out to 300 yds. It is open to the public I think on Thursdays twice a month.

The only 600 yard range around here (SE Louisiana) is the Palo Alto Rifle & Pistol club located in Donaldsonville. It is a private club and not open to the public. There monthly match is the first Saturday of each month.

Due to my work schedule I don't get time to practice except at the matches (and it shows) it's a very laid back match no attitudes and everyone is helpful. We got rained out on this months fun match (scores were not turned in to the NRA) but there were a couple of BayouShooters there for their first time hopefully they will chime in and reply.

If it can shoot the 75 Hornady and I am guessing at around 2700 fps adjust till you get it 18.5 inches high at 100 yards and that should put her elevation centered for 600.

Buck

broken_joke

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    carriere,ms
    when she eventually gets the rifle we'll be ready to give it a shot at either range. my sister lives in Gonzales so we'll use her house as home base. i think she has her mind made up on the 12fv.
    you guys have helped a bunch
    thanks
    jake

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    Here is my FV
    AK042.jpg

BKliebert

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    South, La
    when she eventually gets the rifle we'll be ready to give it a shot at either range. my sister lives in Gonzales so we'll use her house as home base. i think she has her mind made up on the 12fv.
    you guys have helped a bunch
    thanks
    jake

Jake,

I know its a little more money but have her look at the 12 Long Range Precision Varmiter. The reason for this is that it can be had with a 1 in 8 twist barrel. I can not emphasize it enough how important this option is in using the 223 out to 600yds. On paper with heavy bullets (80gr SMK) the 223 looks to have close to or the same ballistics of the 308 (155gr SMK) but in real life at the range trust me it does not.

Ideally you want to shoot as heavy a bullet as you can and drive it as fast as you can safely. Both Savage models have a 26" barrels so you are already giving up some speed. The 12FV comes in a 9 twist so you will not be able to stabilize any of the 80 grain bullets which puts her at a big disadvantage.

I don’t want her to make the same mistake that others including myself have made in the past by purchasing a rifle only to find out that it will not work for that application.

Buck

s.i.t.

lead slinger
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    new orleans la
    it falls under the ftr class in nra f-class. i shoot that match once a month in donaldsonville at palo alto. i also have a savage 10fp and love it. it needs new glass though and will be getting some soon

DSCF0014-1.jpg

Top Bottom