Saved another one.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Candyman

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 15, 2008
    Denham Springs
    One of the things I like to do is save the stocks that people think can't be saved.
    Here is one that I just finished on Friday. It's a stock for a Mossberg M42 Trainer.
    The stock had been refinished with some type of varnish that didn't do much for it. The owner of the stock asked me to make any repairs to the stock that were needed and to try and get the finish as close as I could to the original military finish.
    be7xwj.jpg

It is hard to see in the first pic. but, there was two cracks running through the wrist and the only thing that was keeping it from breaking apart was a wood screw that had been put into the wrist under the triggerguard strap.
    I removed the screw, drilled 4 holes along the cracks. I also drilled tow 3/8 " holes into the wrist and inserted dowels. I used Acraglas to make the repairs.
    2il25fs.jpg

2mgmwhu.jpg

All of the wrist repairs were made from the inside of the triggerguard strap channel. When I make repairs I do my best to hide all of the work.
    1givra.jpg

The green and red saftey markers had been replaced with two small bolt head screws. The guy that I was fixing the stock for said that he was ordering new saftey markers and wanted me to remove the screws and repair the area and he would put the markers in himself.
    Well I had to drill from the the bottom of the wrist to get to the screws to tap them out because they were flush with the stock.
    I did a crossgrain plug repair, with a Walnut plug I made, where the screws were and then dressed it up.
    mr4hgk.jpg

nh12t4.jpg

i27cdw.jpg

2r2vdyu.jpg

I then did a BLO hand rubbed finish on the stock and topped it off with Tom's 1/3 Mix.
    2zirmm9.jpg

a9tlir.jpg

zl8yup.jpg

zmgi09.jpg

Now the stock is stronger then when it was new.
    Never throw out a stock just because it is broken. It is getting harder to find these old stocks.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    VERY nice work! I love refinishing wood stocks (I should, I am a full-time woodworker) but nothing up to your level. Your posts always inspire and educate. :cool:

Candyman

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 15, 2008
    Denham Springs
    Thanks for the kind words.
    If you would like to see a lot of before and after pic's of some of my work I have them in this post. http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=55920
    I am still looking for someone that would like to learn to repair stocks.
    I will teach you at no charge and have everything on hand for you to learn with. I offer this because stock repair work is a dyong art and I would like to pass on what I have learned over the years.

I have been thinking about having a CD of my how to repairs made, but I'm just not good at doing stuff like that.

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    candyman my dad has a browning bar 270 that he dropped last year getting off the 4wheeler it fell against the tire but cracked in 1 spot he has been wanting to find someone that will fix it because it has a nice (he called it tiger wood) grain to it. would you be willing to take a look at/fix it for a price and i would also like to help ive sanded a few stocks down and tried to refinish them but never had very good results so to learn a little from someone who knows what they are doint would be nice. i live in denham also ill pm you my name and #.

artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    Nice job.

Candyman, if you are ever in the New Iberia area, I have a couple of Remington 40X stocks that I'll give you. These are rimfire target stocks that are inleted for the forehand rails and have holes drilled at the 4 & 7 o'clock position for barrel tension screws. They are in ok shape.
    I think I paid 20 bucks each for them a few years back. I ordered them thinking they were centerfire stocks.
    I ain't going to use them. They're yours for free if your ever in the area.

Art

Last edited:

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    Ok, what is your opinion on rubbing linseed oil?
    I have done a few and always liked the results. I usuallt just strip and sand the stock and rub linseed oil into it. I am fond of the reults. Seems to make them look natural and the finish just gives that warm feel.
    Opinion?

Candyman

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 15, 2008
    Denham Springs
    Very nice work. How long did it take you?
    I do stock repair work as a hobby now days but, I have been doing it for over 20 years.
    I do over 100 repairs a year and tend to work on more then one stock at a time. I think I was working on 4 or 5 other stocks at the same time as this one. The repairs were done during four days and the finish took about a week to do.
    Look at the top of the Gunsmithing section of the forum, you will see a sticky that has a link to my repair stickies over at Surplusrifle Forum. There are about 22 different stickies on how to make repairs and refinish stocks.

Last edited:

Candyman

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 15, 2008
    Denham Springs
    Ok, what is your opinion on rubbing linseed oil?
    I have done a few and always liked the results. I usuallt just strip and sand the stock and rub linseed oil into it. I am fond of the reults. Seems to make them look natural and the finish just gives that warm feel.
    Opinion?

I really love to do oil finishes. I use BLO and Pure Tung Oil. Here is a link to one of my post on doing an Oil Scrub finish. http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=137&t=51760

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom