Saw mill near BR that would allow cub scouts to scavenge cut offs of rough cut pine ?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brackishgunner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Our pack is looking to make blue bird houses and I'd like to use 3/4" rough cut pine.

Are there any mills near Baton ROuge that would allow the public to pick through their cutoffs for material at a minimum cost?

Thanks

brackishgunner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    It has been pointed out to me that most mills are automated to send cuttoffs to the chipper, so I guess I'm now looking for retail sources for rough cut lumber in or around BR, pine or other. The home centers only carry finished /planed lumber.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    There are a few local people that have small sawmills, but most do not cut pine because it is cheap and hard on the blades. How much do you need and does it have to be pine?

brackishgunner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Pine was recommended for cheapness, availability, and adequate longevity. I am definately not married to the idea.

We minimally need pieces about 5" wide and 10" long (at 3/4" thick, comes to about 1.5 bft per house), but wider and longer pieces are also on the wish list as I'd like to also build a large rocket style bat house (pieces up to 12" wide and 36" long), though I can use some creative joinery as necessary.

Thanks for the leads so far guys. I'll make some calls tomorrow, but any more help would be appreciated!

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    With those size requirements, maybe catch dog ear fence boards on sale. A 6' board can go as low as $.89 each when on sale. I probably have a dozen or so leftovers you can have, they have some age.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TonyGuillory
    Top Bottom