SB 51 as amended just passed House

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    I listened to the discussion by the House. If you want to be very frightened, listen to legislation being made sometime.

Dan

SKYWLKR

bread and circuses
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 26, 2007
    I think we got Screwed as far as the employer firing you, but the State got with their Tax money... I mean fine.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    In my opinion the bill is OK but not great. They removed the provision that granted a right to bring a civil action for actual damages plus $1,000 statutory damages. This was replaced with a provision that says "No property owner, tenant, public or private employer, or business entity shall prohibit any person from transporting or storing a firearm pursuant to Subsection A of this Section."

If they fired you, would you have an action for wrongful termination? - very possible. I don't do employment law. I much prefer the clear statutory cause of action.

Because the bill was amended it must go to the House/Senate conference committee for a final version which must again pass each chamber. Usually that is not a problem.

I think it will be signed into law as is.

Dan

GunAddict

constitutionalist
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    North Monroe, La. area
    Might help with some employers, but, Louisiana is a hire/fire at will state. So they can still fire you and more than likely you can't do crap about it. If fired and you claimed it was because they just happen to find out you had one in your vehicle, they would claim it was for some other BS excuse.

Top Bottom