SBR?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JonVHerbert

Rating - 50%
    2   2   0
    Nov 28, 2021
    New orleans
    Would putting this stock/brace on a HK SP5K make it an SBR? It would NOT have a front grip. My intent is to add a brace and keep it as a PDW. I figured it was Ok since it is essentially the same as a Daniel defense DDM4 PDW; but am not 100% sure. It would be the exact brace pictured below, added to the exact pistol in the image. Can’t find a concrete answer online. Anyone have any advice? Thank you! Also, what are some cool braces that y’all may have on your SP5K or similar?

Attachments

• 666B21F1-D001-4CF7-8D93-6D309F975734.jpeg
      666B21F1-D001-4CF7-8D93-6D309F975734.jpeg
      74.6 KB · Views: 126
    • F66620B5-9DD7-43ED-8D25-61670FFF68B7.png
      F66620B5-9DD7-43ED-8D25-61670FFF68B7.png
      89.2 KB · Views: 145

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    That looks like a stock not a brace to me. It even says stock in the title. Stock = SBR. Why don't you SBR it? I did mine and it's awesome.

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    SBR you say ? Yes ? You rang

Email or call me I can walk you thru the process beginning to end.

And to answer your question yes, if you put that stock on it, it’s an SBR. Actually all of the tactical braces on the market, minus two, are grey area. They are not ATF approved. Unless they are the two original ones, in the determination letter. They are all copies of the approved design(s).

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Here’s the one you seek

View attachment 112343
    This is only for a MP5 patterned receiver. Unfortunately SB tactical doesnt make one for the mp5k pattern guns that telescopes. They DO make a side folding option. The only "k" model it would work on is a gun that has a "reverse stretch" receiver. Basically a standard mp5 receiver with a short K barrel/front end on it.

The mp5k has 2 rear take down pins. The standard mp5 has 1. In addition to the amount of pins, the mp5k type guns also have a block welded on either side of the receiver. This prohibits you from you from using a standard HK type collapsible stock. The gun was designed to be slung from a single point bungee sling for quick deployment with full auto in effect. Stocks werent part of the original concept of the K models. The side folding Choate brand stocks came out later.

So...if you want collapsible stocks or braces on a mp5k patterned gun you have limited but decent options.

Safety Harbor Systems: brace or stock

HK parts:

B&T:

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    This is only for a MP5 patterned receiver. Unfortunately SB tactical doesnt make one for the mp5k pattern guns that telescopes. They DO make a side folding option. The only "k" model it would work on is a gun that has a "reverse stretch" receiver. Basically a standard mp5 receiver with a short K barrel/front end on it.

The mp5k has 2 rear take down pins. The standard mp5 has 1. In addition to the amount of pins, the mp5k type guns also have a block welded on either side of the receiver. This prohibits you from you from using a standard HK type collapsible stock. The gun was designed to be slung from a single point bungee sling for quick deployment with full auto in effect. Stocks werent part of the original concept of the K models. The side folding Choate brand stocks came out later.

So...if you want collapsible stocks or braces on a mp5k patterned gun you have limited but decent options.

HK parts:

B&T:
    you are correct didnt see the "k series" he had

JonVHerbert

Rating - 50%
    2   2   0
    Nov 28, 2021
    New orleans

HK parts:

B&T:
    WOW! Thank you for your response, I appreciate your knowledge. This is the exact gun I am wanting, and want to put a brace on it. Although I'm now learning maybe the SBR route isn't so difficult. https://hk-usa.com/hk-models/sp5k-pdw/

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    might look at whats cheaper/easier... buying it an sbr already and tax stamp and doing paperwork or buying a pistol and then buying the stock and then tax stamp

hk stocks are super expensive

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    might look at whats cheaper/easier... buying it an sbr already and tax stamp and doing paperwork or buying a pistol and then buying the stock and then tax stamp

hk stocks are super expensive
    Careful with buying the stock prior to stamp. If you have no other SBR items it could go on, and it’s in the same house or area with the pistol then a constructive possession angle could fit. Don’t have both in the same safe, just unwise.

The big difference is the transfer time. If you buy an already papered SBR and it’s Form 4’ed to you it’s 8-12 months. If you buy a pistol and Efile the Form 1 it’s around 30 days.

Top Bottom