Scary gas price conclusion...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    I went from 20 mpg in my old t-bird and got a corolla and haven't looked back yet. I've been asked why i don't drive a truck by some of the guys i work with and when i ask does your truck get 38 mpg?..they stop talking for some strange reason and then hang their head as though they are thinking of something...

MikeR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2011
    Carencro
    I'm all screwed up trying to make a decision. Let me expand...

F150 = 13 city / 15 hwy
    Focus = 28 city / 38 hwy

I can afford to get the Focus & keep the F150, that's not a problem. Now lets add in other "data"...

The Fusion is more comfortable for me (6'3" 220lbs), but is 20 city / 27 hwy. I could afford to keep the truck too, but wouldn't if I went that way. I owe $1K more on the truck than trade in value. However, if I'm going to trade the truck, I'm going to get something I want.

Mustang GT = 18 city / 26 hwy

Still a lot better than my truck, and there are currently $4000 in incentives to buy 2012s that are still on the lot.

Going with the Focus, extra $600/mo in payments (keeping the truck...this figure also includes insurance). Going with a Fusion or Mustang, taking the hit on the truck, our current payments go up by about $200.

Sometimes it doesn't pay to analyze things. LOL

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I average 14 mpg in my escalade using premium. I have a slightly heavy foot, and do a lot of stop and go from st Bernard to the westbank daily. I sometime think about buying a beater to drive to and from work, but the cost of the car/insurance/ and fuel for the extra car doesn't offset what I pay in gas. Also I paid for all the luxuries that came with my eacalade and I wouldn't have that in a corrola or civic.

SuperFresh642

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    I bought a motorcycle. For short trips to the store I throw on the back pack. Gets me to the gym and buddys houses just fine during the week. Take the car to work. Its small trips but it adds up fast. Car is an accord so its not nearly as bad as a truck. But 42 mpg is a lot better than the 25 in the car. And what do I do with the money i save? Buy guns of course!

bigjakewelch

Mill Spec
    Rating - 98%
    50   1   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I'm all screwed up trying to make a decision. Let me expand...

F150 = 13 city / 15 hwy
    Focus = 28 city / 38 hwy

I can afford to get the Focus & keep the F150, that's not a problem. Now lets add in other "data"... LOL

To say that the math works out is to tell you what you already know. If you can make the Eco friendly car work for your needs ( not having to haul Equiptment or heavy tools back and forth to a job) then I think that it would be a wise decision. You are going to pay that much on the fuel anyway. You will still spend the same ammount of $ but you will have something to show for it and maybe recoupe some of the $ when it is paid off.

Nevarwinter

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Gretna, LA
    i traded my paid off Dodge Dakota that was getting 14-17 mpg on a F150 Eco that gets 18-22 mpg... the discount they sold me on the truck plus trade in, resulted in a 1 1/2 year pay off and that was the difference in gas... so after that year and a half (i owe $7500 on the f150) it'll be great

How are you liking that eco boost engine? I have been hearing decent things about them.

Charles1959

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Covington, La.
    You know, , about 15-17 yrs ago, at one of the auto parts stores I managed, we had a 3 cyl Dihatsu Charade that got 45 mpg in town. At another one of my stores there was a Geo Metro, also 3 cyl. that got about 40 mpg in town. These vehicles were killed off and replaced with NEW lower mileage vehicles by the manufacturer. Eventually the companies themselves disappeared. The mileage that is being attained today by hybrids was in place that many years ago by gas engine vehicles. I have to believe that the petroleum companies had something to do with their demise... What other explanation is there?
    Charlie

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I bought a 4cyl Fusion, it pays for itself in gas savings. I got 38mpg on the whiskey bay, and 35 on normal interstate driving. I average 28 around town.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    You know, , about 15-17 yrs ago, at one of the auto parts stores I managed, we had a 3 cyl Dihatsu Charade that got 45 mpg in town. At another one of my stores there was a Geo Metro, also 3 cyl. that got about 40 mpg in town. These vehicles were killed off and replaced with NEW lower mileage vehicles by the manufacturer. Eventually the companies themselves disappeared. The mileage that is being attained today by hybrids was in place that many years ago by gas engine vehicles. I have to believe that the petroleum companies had something to do with their demise... What other explanation is there?
    Charlie

Lots of great cars, manufacturers and engines were killed off because they couldnt keep up with more strict emission standards. 4.0 jeep engine is a great example- replaced by an udder excuse of a minivan v6. Many are so laden with extra pollution control crap, they run very inefficient. The gov sets high mpg standards and then retarded emission standards to go along with it. I am not saying no emission standards, but if you are truly worried about the planet, remember that other countries will still destroy it for us.

Top Bottom