Science project - Comparing calibers

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Xenon

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    Metairie
    Long story short, my (12 y.o.) son wanted to compare 223 bullet types and I suggested that he compare 9/40/45 or a mixture of 2/3. My thought was the 223 would be tough to recover and/or measure.

We haven't gotten into the details, just some brainstorming. I think he wants to focus on penetration depth. Although I know there have been numerous studies on this, he seems very interested in it so I'm going to let him have a go.

We've thought about homemade ballistic gel in a wooden "pan" for lack of a better word. We would shoot from the side so that it would be visible, measurable and able to be displayed.

The other test may be the gallons of water in a row test. Is there anything else we should consider? Any pointers or tips?

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    As a father who has seen many school projects my advice is get it done as cheaply and easily as you can.

Air Rifle would have the advantage of doing it at home. Plus you can use a multi pump and compare different MV's with no other variable.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    As a father who has seen many school projects my advice is get it done as cheaply and easily as you can.

Air Rifle would have the advantage of doing it at home. Plus you can use a multi pump and compare different MV's with no other variable.

I would also suggest an air rifle, since you can use multiple BB types, and the school won't get so butt hurt about it.

Top Bottom