Scope for AK47

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DonH

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2013
    Mandeville, LA
    I recently bought an AK47 for only one purpose: In the event of an urban uprising. I figure the targets distance would be no further than 20 - 40 yards. I chose the AK over the AR only because the AK rarely if ever jams and is therefore more RELIABLE. If a group of people are coming down my street with the intent of harm and my rifle jams, my wife and I are dead.

Now I want to buy a very reliable red dot sight/scope. Because our lives could depend on it, I don't mind spending a considerable amount of money for a scope that is proven to be better and more reliable than other scopes. Hence, I'm open to buying an Aimpoint or Eotech class scope IF they are that much better than a lower cost scope. I also don't like spending unnecessary money, so I don't intend to buy a $1,000 one. I am considering the Aimpoint Pro Patrol.

Once I buy the scope I will take it to the range, site in the scope and put around 100 rounds of ammo through the rifle. Then I will put it in my vault and use it no more than twice a year, and that for practice only.

I'm looking for recommendations.

Thanks.

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    If you want to use a red dot go with the micro aimpoint and a ultimak. I believe it is the onlt setup that allows cowitness, if that is what your looking for.

the dubshow

master plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    start with figuring what ak you have and how you will mount an optic. Go from there. Side mount on receiver or rail on top?

The aimpoint PRO mounts very nicely with a midwest industries side rail mount. It floats over the dust cover. The ultimak works well with reflex type sights.

Ive become a fan of battery-less optics like trijicon. They have several reflex optics in the $500-600 range. This is very ideal if you plan on letting it sit/grabbing only if you need it. Tridium has a life of ~15 years. Aimpoint claims about 3-5 years plus the shelf life of the battery you are using.

you could also go with a decent budget setup like primary arms offers. Youd be under $200 for the entire rig. They are nice and come with a good warranty, but remember, it isnt a $500 optic. I like their micro dot with AR riser for range plinking.

Last edited:

1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    I have had more jams in my AK than in my AR's. Just saying. Putting 100 rounds through it to test its reliability is like testing your running shoes out and jogging to the mailbox. Why only use it twice a year if you want to be proficient with it to use in an emergency?

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    What was already said. I have an Ultimak with Micro on one and an RS Products with Aimpoint Comp on another. They both cowitness and are solid.

LNSvince

Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    May 10, 2011
    Denham springs
    Rather than fumble with mounts, use the side rails as intended.
    You will not regret it in the end.

http://kalinkaoptics.com/rifle-scop...quisition-red-dot-rifle-scope-ak-version.html

I have this one, and I am gonna marry it !

pk-a_ak_1_600_2.jpg

DonH

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2013
    Mandeville, LA
    AK shooter - I may be wrong, but I think some of the Eotech/rail systems also allow co-witness. I'm going to call Eotech.

SpeedRacer - I've been investigating side rail mounts.

the dubshow - I have an Arsenal SAM7R AK - about $1,300. I had never heard of Trijicon. How do they compare to a quality red dot sight?

1911Dave - I'm surprised that your AK jams more than you AR's. Every article I've ever read and person I've spoken to who knows guns told me it's hard to make an AK jam. I would think that would indicate that either your AK is defective or it's the ammo you're using. Regarding proficiency, I have had a .22 rifle for about 40 years with a good scope. I NEVER practice with it, but have shot squirrels and other animals/rodents with no problem whatsoever. If I were shooting at targets 100+ yards away, I would definitely have to put in a lot of practice. But 20 - 40 yards with a good scope, no problem. Just aim the dot and pull the trigger.

SeventhSon - Do you like one scope over the other?

LNSvince - I think I would prefer a side rail, but $260 is rather high. I can buy some very good top rails for much less that would work just as well. Am I correct, or am I missing something?

I have another question: Yesterday I bought a Ecotech Model 512 from Academy Sports - that I can return - and placed it at different distances on top of the rifle. I really like the square optics and the ability to keep both eyes open. How does this compare to the round optics that Aimpoint sells?

LNSvince

Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    May 10, 2011
    Denham springs
    Granted we all have different opinions when it comes to stuff like this.
    If you were in BR, Id let you borrow it before you purchased one.
    I didn't "get it" till I tried it myself. Now I understand !

you purchased an eotech, yet you are concerned over the $260............

You must have something in your eye !

Last edited:

frankinola

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    just a few suggestions based on experience:

red dot optics - Aimpoint Micro Sight, H-1
    if your ak does not have a side mount for optics then consider the ultimak sight, rock solid mount http://ultimak.com/BuyAK.htm
    if your ak has a side mount for optics then consider the RS mount http://www.rsregulate.com/optics.php

I would recommend 500-1000 rounds through any weapon before considering it ready with a variety of ammo. it let's you learn the weapon and how it shots.

SGammo has a good selection of ammo http://www.sgammo.com/catalog/rifle-ammunition/762x39 and watch for the slick gun specials that popup on the board
    SG gets the deliveries of Golden Tiger ammo with sealed primer pockets and case necks and you can get email notification when it arrives back in.
    they also have the yugo bolt hold open mags.

AK's are reliable but they can have a malfunction like any firearm, all is takes in one round not full of powder or a case rupture. AR's are reliable as well but like any firearm needs proper care and feeding.

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    I prefer the Aimpoint/RS mount a little more that the Micro Dot/Ultimak. It's a little larger but it balances well and I like the bigger optic because I see through it easier.

DonH

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2013
    Mandeville, LA
    LNSvine - I misunderstood your initial reply. I was thinking the mount cost that much, not the scope. I found a store near my house that has both Eotech and Aimpoint. Went there today and tried them both. It's still a tough decision. There was a customer there who "seemed" to know a lot about scopes who told me to definitely go with the Aimpoint, because Eotechs sometimes fog. As soon as he said it the employee said, "he's right. Go with the Aimpoint." Of course, other people would say they don't know what they're talking about and Aimpoint has it's own issues.

When I was buying the Eotech at Academy there was a fellow in the military standing next to me who told me he's very familiar with both types of scopes and told me to absolutely go with the Eotech. I'm sure others in the military would say the opposite.

I am definitely going with the RS AK-300 side mount and am probably going to return the Eotech to Academy and buy an Aimpoint Pro. But even I don't know why.

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    I like EOTechs, just not on AKs. No mount will get it low enough for me. Here are my two. The top one is pre Micro Dot but you can see how low the Ultimak is. The bottom is the RS with Aimpont.

1604595_10202681023727686_580343371_n.jpg

Last edited:

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    I haven't had any problems with the Texas weapon systems top rail with mine.... Almost 600 rounds and plenty of opening it and latching it back down. No shift at all in the sighting.

DonH

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2013
    Mandeville, LA
    Received my Aimpoint Pro and mounted it with RSRegulate's modular side mount. Am very satisfied with both. RS's side mount system is fabulous. However, I have a question. The red dot on my Aimpoint looks to be smeared. There is the dot, and there is what looks like a smear on the right side of the dot. The technical advisor told me that they are built like that, I need to focus my eyes on the target, not the dot. He told me he gets at least several calls a day with people thinking something is wrong with their scope. Is this typical of an Aimpoint? It's no big deal, but I am curious.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Received my Aimpoint Pro and mounted it with RSRegulate's modular side mount. Am very satisfied with both. RS's side mount system is fabulous. However, I have a question. The red dot on my Aimpoint looks to be smeared. There is the dot, and there is what looks like a smear on the right side of the dot. The technical advisor told me that they are built like that, I need to focus my eyes on the target, not the dot. He told me he gets at least several calls a day with people thinking something is wrong with their scope. Is this typical of an Aimpoint? It's no big deal, but I am curious.

Common "complaint". It's also exaggerated by being indoors and/or the brightness being set too high. And he is correct, unlike irons where you focus on the sight, with a red dot you want to look past the dot and focus on the target. If you do all that and it still looks blurry, an astigmitism can cause it as well.

1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    Here is what Aimpoint says in their FAQs:

The dot in my Aimpoint sight doesn't look round. Is it defective?

If your dot does not appear to be perfectly round, the distortion is probably caused by the way that your eye perceives the dot, rather than by some mechanical defect. Due to differences in the lenses in different individuals' eyes, round objects that subtend areas near 3 minutes of angle may appear distorted in a variety of ways depending on the individual and other environmental influences. Inexpensive red dot sights sometimes have manufacturing defects that can cause the dot to be an odd shape.

A simple test that can be easily performed will allow you to determine the cause of the apparent distortion:

Turn the sight on and look through as you normally would. (This test is easiest when the sight is not mounted on a firearm, but can be performed with the sight mounted as well. Just make sure that the firearm is unloaded and pointed in a safe direction.)

While continuing to look through the sight, roll the sight on its optical axis.

If the dot's irregularities seem to revolve around the center of the dot like the spokes of a wheel, there is a mechanical defect causing the distortion.

If the dot does not roll with the sight, the distortion is caused in the way your eye perceives the dot. This is not to say that you don't have good vision. You can see clearly and still see a distortion in objects this small.

This effect is less pronounced in sights with larger dots. More people will see the dot in a sight with a 10 minute-of-angle dot as being perfectly round than will be able to see a 3 MOA dot as round.

ericlosh

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    Slidell LA
    i need to get an aimpoint micro for my ultimak

i got a sparq and if it didnt have the dot projector at 6'oclock id be golden for a while

though i get an okay sight picture on irons with the rear set to 200 yards. gonna hafta shoot it so see how viable it really is.

Top Bottom