seeing fawns with spots in november?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mr. frog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Vi-Lou
    I hunt west feleciana/point coupee and saw a handful of late fawns, and several barron does were harvested. We aren't seeing near the amount of deer sign or deer on camera as last year. Last season's camera pics were filled with deer. a few of them were muley heads and some appear to have CWD. After season last year, we recovered and confirmed one yearling with blue tounge. Anyone else hunt around these parts and witnessing the same thing?

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I am hunting B.R./Iberville area and have seen spotted fawns in the first week of Nov. They are all grown out now. Haven't seen any since, but plenty of little yearlings!

If you believe that deer in your area have CWD, please call the deer program managers at wildlife and fisheries. CWD is bad stuff for all of us!

bigjakewelch

Mill Spec
    Rating - 98%
    50   1   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    CWD is a seriously bad deal for the whole region. I spoke with a cousin of mine that has some land in StFrancisville and he has some photos of a doe with warts all over her body. They don't look like lesions or soars, and she looks to be in good health. But this type of thing may be a precursor to the CWD. I advised him to get in touch with the DWF and get it checked out. I'd advise you to do the same. If there's an outbreak starting it would be better if it was caught early.

All American Gunsmithing LLC
    Baton Rouge L.A.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I am hunting B.R./Iberville area and have seen spotted fawns in the first week of Nov. They are all grown out now. Haven't seen any since, but plenty of little yearlings!

If you believe that deer in your area have CWD, please call the deer program managers at wildlife and fisheries. CWD is bad stuff for all of us!

Our story, as well. Thankfully, I'm not seeing any deer on camera that show physical signs of disease. It's actually quite the opposite- knock on wood.

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    Just an FYI. My wife is a Veterinarian and during one of her C.E. classes. She had a discusion with Mike Strain (Commissioner of the Louisiana Department of Agriculture and Forestry) regarding a current deer issue. Looks like the state is experiencing a case of CWD (Chronic Wasting Disease) in the deer population. Please keep a look out and document any cases should you happen to come across one. Contact the Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries Dept.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Just an FYI. My wife is a Veterinarian and during one of her C.E. classes. She had a discusion with Mike Strain (Commissioner of the Louisiana Department of Agriculture and Forestry) regarding a current deer issue. Looks like the state is experiencing a case of CWD (Chronic Wasting Disease) in the deer population. Please keep a look out and document any cases should you happen to come across one. Contact the Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries Dept.

It's the northern Louisiana hunters causing this! :mamoru:

twentynine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2013
    Ascension parish
    I hunt in Livingston parish and as of Wednesday I still have a fawn with spots. Little runt of a thing, virtually tame, it hangs out with a set of twin nubbin bucks.

Doesn't appear to be any health issues here, numbers are about the same or maybe slightly higher than last year. I'm seeing the same number on my cameras as I had last year.

mr. frog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Vi-Lou
    My dad is a retired wlf and he took the blue tounge deer to the proper people and thats a for sure confirmation. The cwd is only more recent speculation from camera shots. I will try to get my card this weekend and share some pix of some of those sick deer. The water got really high last year and i hope (and dont hope at the same time) that at least the disease was concentrated to a small population, as it is on somewhat of an island.

Last edited:

Thumper

Colt Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Jackson
    I am in Port Hudson area. seems spots are just disappearing now. Just starting to get shooters on camera around midnight. Nothing on rut activity. Rut seems to be late Jan-early Feb last year. got my best deer on camera checking scrapes Feb 10, 2013. best hunting is after Christmas now. They are there just not moving much. plenty of acorns falling now. hopefully these early cold snaps will get them going earlier.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Fanblade1
    Top Bottom