Selling a utility trailer question?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    I think the problem is the DMV. Usually the people working there don’t know the rules...
    everyone has a different experience because of what the person behind the counter *thinks* they need to do.

Even cops don't always know the laws you think the DMV employees do.

SMSgt Bulldog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2021
    Albany, Louisiana
    When I recently bought my dual axle trailer the registration from the original owner had three years left on the plate. We transferred the trailer and title into my name and I was able to keep the remaining years left on the existing trailer registration. When it is time to renew, I will just get a permanent plate.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Stopped by the DMV this morning and asked. They said because it’s a permanent plate I need to pull it and bring it to them.

kurzninja

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    LaPlace, LA
    Not that I have extensive knowledge in dealing with title transfers or trailers, but I did recently have to deal with both. In one instance, it was regarding an enclosed trailer that was bought for my band from out of state (Alabama I believe) where trailers are not required to be titled/registered. This is of course different in Louisiana. So when trying to sell this trailer, it became an ordeal because of not having a title.

The easy solution was to go to an ABC Title place and let them handle all of the paperwork. Way faster and more convenient than the DMV. They knew what they were doing, they were friendly, and they were fast.
    The solution to the out-of-state titleless trailer was to apply for a "good-faith" title which requires you to hold onto the trailer for a calendar year before receiving a permanent title on it. This is to ensure that no one comes forward to claim that the trailer was stolen. During this year I was supplied with both a registration and license plate. After the year I received a finalized good-faith title and was able to transfer the trailer to the band (which I was no longer a part of) for them to then sell.

Long story short, go to ABC Title and let them handle it. Best and easiest way IMHO.

Top Bottom