Semi-Auto .17 HMR??

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Does anyone know if there is a semi-auto .17 hmr caliber rifle available/produced?

A buddy asked me and I honestly don't know. Now thinking about it I would also like to know, I may would have to buy one.

if there isn't one produced or was ever available how many of you would buy one if you had the chance and one was available?

Phill

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Prairieville, LA
    I think Alexander Arms is the only company currently making them.
    Most other companies had issues, and ceased production.

http://www.alexanderarms.com/index.php/news-events/77-17-hmr.html

17hmr.jpg

Most have been recalled
    http://madogre.com/?p=1205

The problem manufacturers have had with trying to produce blowback .17HMR semiauto rifles is that the .17HMR is too powerful for it's own brass, but not powerful enough to operate a gas-operated rifle. The semiauto .17HMR's that were produced, like the Magnum Research 10/17, Ruger 10/17, Remington 597, etc, were all blowback design, which they HAVE to be to operate under the low power of the .17HMR.

However, there is a fine TIMING line that blowback weapons must ride. The bolt must open relatively slowly compared to how fast the bullet leaves the bore, otherwise the cases will not be supported under max pressure, and will rupture, causing the magazine to be blown out of the bottom of the rifle, brass fragments and excessive flash to fire from the breech, the receiver to be damaged/destroyed, etc etc. If a blowback weapon's bolt is NOT heavy enough or the springs not stiff enough, it will essentially be firing OUT OF BATTERY. The problem with the .17HMR is that the manufacturers could not find a happy balance between bolt weight and spring strength to ensure that the bolts would remain in battery long enough to wait out the chamber pressure spike, but still remain light enough to funciton reliably. At BEST, it was a losing effort, since it required the rate of fire to be slowed significantly compared to a .22lr and .22WMR... i.e. by the time they made the bolt heavy enough to remain in battery, the action was TOO heavy and would not cycle fully, creating failure to eject and failure to feed malfunctions.

The Remington 597, the Ruger 10/17, and the Magnum Research 10/17 have all been pulled off the shelves because they ALL had issues with the rifles firing out of battery, damaging the rifles and potentially injuring the shooters.

Last edited:

Doug76

Road Warrior
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2012
    Southshore
    I have a savage 93r17 that i never had any problems with. Its not the prettiest rifle but it goes bang every time.

It's also not a semi-auto.
    But you are right, reliable and very accurate gun. I have one also.
    Not too concerned about "pretty". It's a tool. Never gave any thought to what my hammer looks like either. :)

lineofdeparture

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 27, 2011
    New Roads
    The lead time on the Volquartson is two forever's .

Amen....I currently have a Volquartsen TF-17 ordered since last shot show...jan15,2013... in 3 weeks that will make a year... They wont give me a strait answer on when i will get it, and they have lied a couple times on delivery dates... so good luck if you so choose to go with them.... ill sell it to you once it comes in....

Id give the Alexander Arms a try, hopefully thier CS is a little better than Volquartsens is.....

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    Remington 597 had a huge recall on them a few years back I believe... could be wrong though.

seems like I heard they were exploding or popping parts out...

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    Ruger made one, recalled as well, another company made a conversion kit with a tungsten bolt, also recalled . A co worker had a 597, blew up twice, Remington fixed it both times but he was afraid to shoot it after it put a piece of the magazine on his hand. Remington offered a **** recall for a while , he eventually held out till they converted it to 22 mag at their expense. Basically the 17hmr is too high pressure for a simple blowback action like a 1022 or 597 and to light for a gas operated gun. Maybe a delayed blowback would work in the future

Top Bottom