Sent in my C&R, but...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dangerousdon

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 7, 2010
    Denham Springs, LA
    I couple of weeks ago I sent in my C&R application to ATF. I included my CC# and the money has been charged. I also sent in the copy of the application to the Sheriff department. The other day I received a call from the Sheriff department and he left a message asking me to call back. So I called back but also had to leave a message for him to call me back. We played phone tag in other words. I know I don't need approval from the CLEO , but this concerns me a bit. I KNOW I have nothing wrong in my background. Just wondering if anyone has any idea what it might be about.

Pale Horse

one quarter civilized
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 15, 2007
    West Monroe, LA
    They're probably calling hoping you can tell them what a C&R is.

When I applied for mine, I sent the copy to the CLEO as required, the city police chief in my case. His office sent it back to me with a letter stating that it was supposed to go to the sheriff's office. I sent it to the sheriff's office and got it back with a letter stating it was supposed to go to the police chief's office. I called the ATF and asked them what to do. The agent I spoke to replied, "Keep the letters on file and don't worry about it, you did your part."

James Cannon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    Probably just wants to ask -why- you want it, and what not, and maybe to ask -you- if he has to do anything about it.

I dropped mine off in person. We talked a couple times. Got cut short the first time around, and I later called him back to give him the information about the CMP as he was talking about his love of Garands like he had in Korea, but that they're always so expensive at gun shows. I told him that being a LEO, and especially a veteran, he'd automatically qualify their basic requirements for purchase.

Very nice guy who was very happy to talk to responsible gun owners. Just wanted to make sure he was not expected to do anything, and just to check up on it and make sure I'm not some whacko worth checking on, I guess. lol

YellowChevy

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Yeah I got a call from the Sheriff's office saying the Sheriff signed the application and I could pick it up my convienence. I told the clerk that I think she has to keep it on file in case the ATF calls to ask any questions. She was nice, but I dont think she knew what to do with the application. Like stated above, I did my part by sending it to the correct person as per ATF requirements.

This may be what is going on in your situation too, dangerousdon.

Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    Yeah I got a call from the Sheriff's office saying the Sheriff signed the application and I could pick it up my convienence. I told the clerk that I think she has to keep it on file in case the ATF calls to ask any questions. She was nice, but I dont think she knew what to do with the application. Like stated above, I did my part by sending it to the correct person as per ATF requirements.

This may be what is going on in your situation too, dangerousdon.

That form isn't very well understood by any of the "information" people even in bigger departments. I talked to everybody at the EBR SO and couldn't find one who knew what I was talking about. I finally got hold of an ATF agent who told me to take it to the Sheriff himself and now I'm on his mailing list for every Sheriff's fund raiser you can imagine.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    It's not a big deal . I've mailed mine in to the Sheriff twice , with a cover letter , and never heard another thing about it . Tell them that you are notifying them per Federal law , and there is no action needed on their part . Done .

dangerousdon

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 7, 2010
    Denham Springs, LA
    So just an update...

The Sheriff Deputy finally called me back today. He wanted to ask some questions pertaining to my application. I thought that it was weird but thought that I would just answer his questions. He asked me if my residence had an alarm; and how long I have been a resident of the parish. Then he ended the conversation saying that he had to ask these questions for his background investigation and that he would go ahead and file the application for their records. Like I said, I thought is was weird but if he really wanted he could probably find out that info anyway.

The funny thing is...I got my FFL in the mail today.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    I guess Sid Gautreaux handles things differently than Phares did . I heard he wasn't as gun friendly but I don't know that for a fact .

dangerousdon

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 7, 2010
    Denham Springs, LA
    I just thought it funny that they were doing a "background investigation." Unless they found something out about me (which they wouldn't) it would be a waste of time and resources. What are the locals going to find out that the feds wouldn't? Didn't really care either way. I got my stuff and that's all I care about.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spydy
    Top Bottom