Serious knives!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2ridgebacks

316 below zero
    Dec 10, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    In my opinion there is nothing more perfectly suited to cryo-processing than blades items.

Knives can be sharpened to a keener edge and will hold that edge easily twice as long as non processed knives. Blades also are stronger and less likely to chip or break.

Ka-bar uses a similar process on their knives. They use dry ice (-120f) and it is effective. Deep Cryogenic processing (-300+) allows for additional benefits like the formation of eta carbides and the rework of the molecular structure. As for mass produced knives Ka-bar has a good method and produces a very good product.

Other custom knife makers in the area will quench in LN2 and soak for an hour or so. This is also very good for the knives. Quenching at -300f will allow for complete Austenite to Martensite transformation. Again it will not form eta carbides or realign the molecular structure which requires a soak at -300 for at least 24 hours. But it does produce a very good quality knife.

Mr. Cern Addison is the very best custom knife sharpener I have ever seen. He has a booth at the Gonzales gun show and has a sharpener that he custom built with diamond wheels and a belt sander as well as a polisher. He sharpened a machete that I had processed and afterwards I could shave with the entire blade.

I will be at the Gonzales gun show and will have a small number of knives cryo-processed by me and sharpened by Cern Addison. Mr. Addison was impressed with the results cryogenic processing had on the different blades he sharpened for me last time and he has been sharpening knives for a very long time. I will be working with Mr. Addison on many of the knives I process and have gathered together a bunch of customers knives for him to sharpen next weekend. These are the sharpest and highest quality knives available. I would have no problem putting these knives up agented any knife anywhere in the world.

I know there are some of you out there that love your knives. If you would like to transform one of your knives to be the very best available let me know. I am working out a agreement with Mr. Addison so that my customers can have their knives sharpened by him after cryo processing. Because he lives in Franklinton La it will be necessary for me to mail them to him after processing. As it stands now it looks like the cost will be in the $30 range to have your knife cryo-processed and sharpened.

Depending on how well this agreement works out, I may begin to fabricate my own knives using materials like turbine blades and other unique alloys. I am open to any suggestions or ideas for materials and designs for the knives and encourage anyone to chime in.

Thanks
    David

dtd80

Nov 21, 2009
    Abbeville, Louisiana
    Great to hear about knives and useful treatments for them. I just started to look into quality blades but I find a lot of survival blades being very popular since many hunt and camp in this state. Of course, as soon as I get my finances in check, I'll being buying and will definitly get them treated. I love the look of extrema ratio blades but have heard it is overpriced for the material. Not sure if "tactical" blades would be worth the first but I will be looking at fixed blades. Good luck! Thanks for the efforts to this region!

2ridgebacks

316 below zero
    Dec 10, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Great to hear about knives and useful treatments for them. I just started to look into quality blades but I find a lot of survival blades being very popular since many hunt and camp in this state. Of course, as soon as I get my finances in check, I'll being buying and will definitly get them treated. I love the look of extrema ratio blades but have heard it is overpriced for the material. Not sure if "tactical" blades would be worth the first but I will be looking at fixed blades. Good luck! Thanks for the efforts to this region!

One good thing is that cryo-processing a fixed blade knife in the 6-10" range would only cost you $15. So if you like a knife but are unsure of the quality or reliability processing it would not be a big investment. You may end up with a really great knife. I would however want to make sure the blade and tang are the same piece of metal.
    Thanks for the reply!
    David

2ridgebacks

316 below zero
    Dec 10, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Hmmm, I wouldn't mind having this treatment done for a tomahawk. :)

It would be stronger, sharper will hold the edge longer, and be less likely to crack, chip or break. I will be happy to treat it for you.

I will have a booth at the gun show in Gonzales this weekend, if you are planning to attend stop by and see me.
    David

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I have several knives that need to be treated and sharpened.

2ridgebacks

316 below zero
    Dec 10, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I met with Mr. Addison at the gun show last weekend and we worked out the details of our agreement. I brought him about 20 knives to sharpen and like always they were returned razor sharp. I have tried out a number of people who sharpen knives but no one has been able to put the kind of edge on a knife like Mr. Addison. I have noticed a couple of major differences, first Mr. Addison does not use a machine with opposing sharpening wheels, he sharpens by hand on wheels of varying coarseness and will polish the edge as the last step. I believe that these differences along with 40 years of sharpening experience is what makes his work so exceptional.

Thanks to anyone who stopped by my booth and took time to speak with me. I also had some additional research from various companies, university studies and NASA research that I believe helped to convey the message on how well this process works. If anyone is interested in obtaining some of this research I will be happy to make any of the studies I have available to anyone who is interested.
    Best regards,
    David

Uncle John

Aug 9, 2010
    Leesville Louisiana
    David and I did tests recently on Case Trapper pocket knives. Aunt Sandy through in her Case light weight and the results were awsome. My Trapper was sharpened that was treated and Sandy's Trapper remained untreated for a side by side comparision. First the little light weight when properly honed came out like a doctors scaple. Both Trappers were honed perfectly and to tell you the truth I love Case Knives any way. There was no difference in the feel of the steel on the Arkansas stone but it was seen in the performance as the treated knife held an edge longer making it worth the effort. This was the first test, from my personal equipment from a pro outdoor writer. Now I like David Minchew, his wife and son and his two dogs, but if I can find anything wrong with the Cryogenic Process I will tell the world.....so far only good Pass it on.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom